Introduction to Orienteering events - September 1st and 8th

  • bcebolog
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2013

      Hello everyone,

      Quantico Orienteering Club invites all newcomers to join us for an "INTRODUCTION TO ORIENTEERING” as we prepare to kick off our 2013-2014 season.  This year we are hosting two events: Sunday, September 1st at Wheaton Regional Park, Wheaton, MD and Sunday, September 8th at Mason Neck State Park, Lorton, VA.

      These will be FREE beginner-only orienteering events for all ages - from children to adults. For anyone who has ever wanted to try orienteering, or just wondered what it is, here's the chance to come out and give it a go before our regular season starts on September 15th. Those of you who are already seasoned orienteers, please feel free to invite your co-workers and friends out to experience that activity you're always telling them you do.

      Participants will learn the basics of orienteering from experienced instructors and then apply their newly acquired skills on a beginner level orienteering course (either a White or Yellow Course) that same day. Registration opens at 9:00 AM and instruction will be offered approximately every 20 minutes beginning at 9:20 AM with the last session at 11:00 AM. Participants can either orienteer solo, or in small groups of their own choosing. All participants will have until 12:30 PM to complete their courses.

      The only equipment you'll need to bring is your brain, some active clothing/sportswear, a comfortable pair of athletic shoes, and a watch. Participants may also want to bring along extra water or beverages, though there will be plenty of water on the course and at the start/finish/instructional area.

      As added bonus, all participants get a free trial Quantico Orienteering Club membership good through the end of October 2013.

      To join us for an event, please reserve a spot by emailing the Meet Director,<a href="http://qocweb.org/contact/Onkst/Heidi">HEIDI ONKST</a> and providing first/last name of each participant and which event you will be attending (Wheaton, Mason Neck or both!)  The park permits limit these events to a certain number of participants, so please register ASAP.

      Directions to the park and other details can be found at QOC’s website: http://qoc.us.orienteering.org/.

      Looking forward to the start of a great O-Season!