Summer Short Series this Wednesday, July 4th: Catoctin Trail

  • Nadim Ahmed
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
      This Summer is posing many challenges as those still picking-up and recovering after the storm last Friday can attest to.  The SSS is generally supposed to be short but in the spirit of taking on challenges and rising to the occasions, an SSS event mentioned earlier is still planned for the July 4th Independence Day holiday.

      Though a long trail run for training, this event still involves a map and some map reading (~1:62,500 scale).  The Full event route begins at the south end of the Catoctin Trail in Gambrill State Park, outside of Frederick, MD.   The end for all options is near the Information Center in the Manor Area or the Catoctin Furnace (depending on parking availability--some paving was planned to happen in mid-June), in Cunningham Falls State Park near Thurmont, MD.  The trail is mostly on the main forested mountain ridge between the parks.  It is a dirt single track with both some rocky and steep sections.  Some rocks may appear to sweat and be slippery in the conditions expected.  Someone falling over the distance is likely.  There are some trail markings but these cannot be depended on.  The low temperature is expected to be 74 F and the high is predicted to be 89 F.  Runners must carry sufficient water and food for their own needs or they cannot participate   There will be one water stop at Hamburg Rd. (6 miles into the run for the full route; this is at the start for the Mid-Size route runners.). A 70 ounce bladder pack is strongly recommended as is a compass.  Carrying a smart phone in your pack is also recommended.  This is serious trail running to be done in challenging weather.  Plan to be finished in 3 hours or less with one of the following options.

      Option 1:  Full Route.  18 miles, one-way, point-to-point
      Option 2:  Mid-Size.  12 miles, one-way, point-to-point
      Option 3:  Short.  Out (south) and back (north) as short or far as you want (initial 700ft climb over 1.5 miles) or terrain running in the mining area north of the Manor Area.

      Those interested must contact me by 6pm Tuesday, July 3rd.  I will be driving a mini van and can drive others if they want to meet me in or near Bethesda, MD by 7am but at least one other car and driver is needed for vehicle shuttling.  The plan is to park some cars at the Manor Area, drop off Short Route runners there, shuttle Mid-Size Route Runners to Hamburg Rd., then take the remaining runners to the High Knob or Rock Run areas for an approximate 8am start time.  Group running at an easy pace is desired.

      After runners have finished, had a chance to drink, and have been reunited with their cars those interested in some R&R in the area will drive to the lake in Cunningham State Park, off Rte. 77 ( about 3 miles away). Swimming availability is not always guaranteed; we'll have to arrive early enough before it fills to capacity.  There is a nominal state park fee to park and swim--no pets allowed this time of year at the lake.  See: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/cunningham.asp

      Other SSS events are still being planned however none is currently scheduled for next Saturday the 7th. Anyone interested in hosting an event on the 7th or later should contact the SSS Mistress, Peggy Dickison, at pdickison@...

      Wheaton--Introduction to Orienteering Meet--August 4th - a beginner meet is being planned for this date.  Experienced SSS participants are requested to volunteer to help at this event.  Those interested should contact David Onkst, or Jon Torrance.

      Nadim
      (Sent from my iPhone)

      PS from Peggy – remember, cost is $5/person, with all proceeds going to the US Senior (“Foot-O”) Team. Larger donations are welcome! (Tax deductible, too.)

      P.S.S. Sorry for the late notice.  My home Internet connection is out since the Friday storm.
    • A Louden
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
        Yeah!  My power, internet and cable are back up.   I am in for Option 3 and could do shuttling.  My car will 4 other people uncomfortably and 3 comfortably.  Whatever you need.

                                         Amy