Susquehanna Stumble this Sunday

  • bcebolog
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011
      All,

      There won't be a QOC event this weekend but SVO will be holding the Susquehanna Stumble in Elk Neck State Park in northeast Maryland (not entirely coincidentally near the town of Northeast, MD) on Sunday. For anyone who isn't familiar with it, the Stumble is a long distance orienteering race with a mass start in which following is allowed, even encouraged. As an added wrinkle, the controls must be found in order except inside a number of 'windows' in which controls can be found in any order, as in a score-O. If you haven't run the Stumble before, trust me, it's a fun change of pace to be running in packs in the woods, occasionally dropping people and catching up to other people, breaking up to do windows in different orders and coming back together (or not), deciding who to follow or to strike out on your own with a different route choice from your fellows. The Stumble comes in long and short versions (~18km and ~10km this year), both starting at noon. Sadly, a last minute difficulty with permissions has forced SVO to scrap planned white, yellow and orange recreational courses so I can really only recommend the event for advanced and fairly confident-in-their-skills intermediate orienteers who feel physically up for at least 10km of orienteering (speed optional but you need to be able to go the distance). SVO is requesting pre-registration by email by tomorrow. Details are on the SVO web site - we link to it from the schedule on the QOC web site. I'll hope to see lots of familiar faces at the pre-race briefing on Sunday morning.

      Jon