  • tdgood2
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15 1:16 PM
      Aug 21st Summer Series:
      RSVP: email tedgood@... if you plan to attend.
      Please RSVP by 8:00 Pm Wednesday Aug 18 (sooner is better as specialty supplies have to be acquired.

      Entry Form:
      Name:
      Post race food (Y/N): Pizza Preferences:

      The Squirrel event series is in its 9th year of the summer series. Once again there is a special theme to this event: Squirrel Quest.

      For years and years, the Squirrel event has been a favorite among summer series participants for its numerous fun activities. There have been rope courses, scavenger hunts, cannonball runs, basketball, foose ball, disc golf, yard work, orienteering tests, biking,…. Oh, there was also orienteering. All this followed by the pizza party.

      This year will be a modified score course. The initial controls are on the map but at each control there will be memory maps or hints of other control locations. Participants will have up to 75 minutes to find as many as they can. Of course there will be other activities also.

      Once again, there will be awesome prizes awarded. The more controls you find the better you chance to win that `special' prize.

      Location: Home of Ted and Darcy Good (We have cats for those with allergies)
      Map Squirrel Kill (Map has been converted to use Lidar contours. Contours are excellent, vegetation iffy.
      Map Scale: 1:10,000 2 meter contours.
      Courses: Score event, 75 minutes. Distance to all controls is roughly 10K.
      Date: Saturday, Aug 21st

      Cost: Minimum $5.00 but I expect more donations as you get so much more from this event: food, games, orienteering, awards, preprinted maps…… All money goes to the U.S. team. Dig deep into those pockets.

      Time: See schedule below:

      Critters: Yeah, we have those. Bug spray highly recommended.
      Poison Ivy: Yes, some on the course but courses avoid worst areas.
      Bathrooms: Yes, in the House, no spikes in the house.
      Maps Pre-printed and sealed.

      This training is geared for advanced orienteers wishing to get some real orienteering in before the main season.

      There is green briar on the map so gaiters and long O' clothes are highly recommended.

      All events will take place at the Good residence. No remote start this year.

      The post orienteering food will again be make your own pizza. We will provide the pizza. You don't need to bring anything unless you have special dietary needs. We will also have other foods available (foods TBD but probably chips of some sort). Common sodas will be provided. Bring your own alcohol.

      Those wishing to stay for post food MUST BRING a Change of CLOTHING (and use them) in order to gain access to the house. No icky clothes in the main part of the house. If you plan to eat you must also let us know so we can get enough food (see line 3 of entry form). Showers will again be available for competitors.

      SCHEDULE:
      3:00 : Registration opens. Come hang out and mingle.
      3:50 : Registration Closes
      4:00 : First Activity.
      4:30 : Mass Orienteering Start
      6:00 : Course closes. Everyone should be off the course.
      6:00-8:00: Post orienteering Food
      ~8:00 : Award Ceremony

      DIRECTIONS:

      The event is in Severn Md. About 1/2 way between DC and Baltimore.

      - Take the BW Parkway to Rt 175. Go east on Rt 175 for ~ 1.3 miles.
      Go pass the shopping center on the right.
      - Turn left onto Disney Rd. There is a Stop light at Disney and a CVS pharmacy on the left.
      - Go 3/4 of a mile and turn right on Frontier Rd.
      - Make the first right on Prairie Court.
      - Go to the circle part of the court. Park along Prairie Court. DO NOT PARK ON THE GRASS.

      ADDRESS:
      1713 Prairie Court
      Severn, Maryland,
      410-551-4838 (h)