QOC Event & Winter Meeting! Prince William Forest this Sunday March 7

  • GregL
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
      The next QOC event is this Sunday, March 7, at Prince William Forest Park (near Triangle, VA).

      There will be a full suite of courses plus the QOC Winter Meeting &Potluck, taking place in a rustic cabin camp dining hall. Time to shake off winter and get out in the woods again!

      Everyone is welcome at the Winter Meeting, whether or not they've made tracks in the woods. The festivities will start around 2:00 or so, and will include food and drinks,news about several 2010 club programs, sales of club uniforms (including a new style), and more. Even if you're not running, come for the party.

      Please bring your favorite dish/lunch food to share. There is a refrigerator for our use, as well as a stove if you need to heat up your food (just be sure to bring your own cooking dishes/pots). You can also bring crock pots. QOC will provide paper goods, non-alcoholic drinks, and desserts, but feel free to bring beer, wine or other alcohol.

      Registration will take place at Cabin Camp 2 from 11am – 1pm, and courses at 2pm,so give yourself enough time.  There will be a ~500m walk to the start area from the registration area. The Winter Meeting will take place in the adjacent Cabin Camp 5, which we have reserved for the afternoon. Please follow signs to parking – it will be tight due, so car pool if possible and allow a bit of time to get from the parking lot(s).Note that spikes and cleats may not be worn inside these historic wooden buildings.

      Map scale is as shown below, with 5m foot contour intervals. Epunching will be used on all courses. Registration & starts begin at 11:00 am. All courses close at 2:00 pm for the Winter Meeting.

      Course setter Francis Hogle has indicated the conditions should be fine (by his standards!), and given his experience mapping this area and setting courses the last time this map was used – for the 2007 US Championships – there shouldn't be any lack of challenge.

      Courses:
      WHITE 1.8 km 60 m climb 7 controls, 1:5,000 scale. Beginner course - alongtrails, streams, and other linear features
      YELLOW 3.2 km 125 m climb 9 controls, 1:5,000 scale. Advanced beginner course -near easily identifiable re-location features
      ORANGE 3.8 km 120 m climb 9 controls, 1:10,000 scale. Intermediate course - off trail network, checkpoints on major terrain features
      BROWN 3.4 km 120 m climb 9 controls, 1:10,000. Advanced course
      GREEN 5.8 km 175 m climb 9 controls, 1:10,000. Advanced course
      RED 7.7 km 245 m climb 12 controls, 1:10,000. Advanced course
      BLUE 10.7 km 340 m climb 19 controls, 1;10,000. Advanced course

      Volunteers to help with the meet or the Winter Meeting are always welcome -just walk up to Meet Director John Carr if interested.

      Directions:

      Google map driving directions here, to 17532 Mawavi Road , Triangle , Virginia

      From Washington , D.C. and points north:

      • Take I-95 south from the beltway to Exit 150B (VA 619 West)
      • Proceed on VA 619 (also known as Joplin Road ) past the main entrance to Prince William Forest Park for about 4 miles
      • Turn right on Mawavi Road (just past mile marker 21), then left at the fork, following the signs for Cabin Camp 2 (note: you will end up at Camp 5 if you go right at this fork)
      • When you enter Cabin Camp 2, park along one side of the main road or as directed
      • Signs will direct you to the registration area; walk to start area will be ~500 meters from registration
      • To get to the Winter Meeting Potluck Party, follow signs to Camp 5

      From Richmond , VA and points south:

      • Take I-95 north to Exit 150B (VA 619 West)
      • Proceed on VA 619 (also known as Joplin Road ) past the main entrance to Prince William Forest Park for about 4 miles
      • Turn right on Mawavi Road (just past mile marker 21), then left at the fork, following the signs for Cabin Camp 2 (note: you will end up at Camp 5 if you go right at this fork)
      • When you enter Cabin Camp 2, park along one side of the main road or as directed
      • Signs will direct you to the registration area; walk to start area will be ~500 meters from registration
      • To get to the Winter Meeting Potluck Party, follow signs to Camp 5
      Note: make sure to drive past the "standard" Park entrance close to I-95; if you do accidentally enter at this entrance, you'll need to pay an entrance fee,and you won't be able to get to our registration area anyway. Participants a tour event will not need to pay entrance fees since they are covered by our group/facility fees.
    • Leonard Barbus
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2010
        Hi I am not new to orienteerings but I have been out of it for many years.  I have a kind of dumb question.  I don't have a compass right now, I need to buy one.  Are there compasses for rent at this event and also can someone point me in the direction to a website or store that I can buy a decent compass?  Thanks in advance!

        Lenny

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2010
          Yes Lenny, they will have compasses for rent.  We hope to see you at the meet.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010

            Hi Lenny,

            You can rent a compass at the meet.

            Gary Smith