Great Falls MD Event - This Sunday

  • GregL
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2009

      Welcome back to the Great Falls section of C&O National Historical Park !  For over 30years this park has remained one of our favorites due to its beautiful woods and scenery, and this Sunday you will once again have the chance to experience it for yourself. Our registration/start & beginner clinic area will be close to the Tavern, near the main park entrance. Restrooms are located nearby.

      We have been allowed three courses: a Beginner, an Intermediate, and one Advanced.  The Beginner course consists completely of White level controls and requires understanding the at-times somewhat intricate system of trails. The Intermediate course represents an Orange level course, and has several legs that will require significant off-trail navigational ability. The Advanced course should be quite enjoyable for advanced level navigators, and is also relatively long. In terms of map scale,the Beginner course maps will be pre-printed at 1:5,000 scale, while the Intermediate and Advanced courses will be at 1:10,000. Epunches will be used on all courses, and those wishing to save time are encouraged to pre-register by emailing Valerie Meyer (vmeyer9086@...)their name, epunch #, and desired course.

      Visibility in the forest is currently excellent.  Some recent map updates were made mostly in areas south of the old Trolley line and west of the Goldmine Loop Trail.  Throughout the map, areas of light green typically represent tightly spaced saplings. Darker greens may be mountain laurel, deadfall, or some relatively rare thorns.  Many of the old anthills are gone and are no longer shown on this updated map.  The woods are fast and the contours are good.  Watch out for fallen leaves that may be covering small stones and broken branches in places.  The leaves have also obscured some of the smaller trails in places but with care, you'll find the trails too.  We hope you enjoy your course!

      Beginner Course:   2.7 km in length,   90 m climb,  8 controls

      Intermediate:  5.8 km,   175 m,   11 c

      Advanced8.6 km, 275 m20 c

      Directions:

      Note: Registration will be just southeast of the Tavern building, 11710 MacArthur Blvd. , Potomac , MD 20854 .Google map directions are here.You will need to pay the park entrance fee ($5/car) assuming the entrance booth is manned.

      From Interstate 495:

      Maryland: Take exit 41 (Carderock / Great Falls , MD ), follow Clara Barton Parkway to the end. At the stop sign, turn left onto MacArthur Blvd. Follow MacArthur approximately 3.5miles into the park. MacArthur Blvd. ends at the park.

      Virginia: Cross into Maryland over the American Legion Bridge (beltway inner loop) and take exit 41 ( Clara Barton Parkway ) Westbound, left at fork. Follow Clara Barton to the end. At the stop sign, turn left onto MacArthur Blvd.Follow MacArthur Blvd approximately 3.5 miles into the park. MacArthur Blvd. ends at the park.

      From Frederick , Maryland :

      Follow Interstate 270 south toward Washington , DC .Take exit 5 (Falls Road). Exit right toward Potomac on Falls Road. Follow Falls Road 6 miles until it intersects with MacArthur Blvd. At stop sign turn right into the park.