Re: [Quantico_Orienteering_Club] Summer Short Series This Saturday, 4 July

  • Patti & Mark Mace
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 11:58 AM
      Hi QOC~

      We have another commitment for 4th of July, Saturday.  I m wondering if anyone else want to go on Friday or Sunday instead?  If not, can you (Peggy) leave the controls/streamers for me to train.  MM will pick them up afterward and give it to Nadim.  Let me know...

      ~Patti
      www.usadeaforienteering.com
      www.magfundraising.com/usadeaforienteeringteam
      Go Orienteering!

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 2:46 PM

        Patti/Mark,

        I don't think I can setup for the training to happen on Friday however I can leave the controls there for you to use/pickup on Sunday.  Please confirm.

        All,

        Blockhouse Conservation Park is located on River Rd. about 6 miles west of the town of Potomac, MD.  There are are hardly any facilities at the normal parking lot; just a gravel parking lot on the south side of the road.  The training may just be a regular course and I haven't set it yet.  Depending on the course, we might start from the Pennyfield Lock area just bordering the SE corner of the park.  That area is accessible from Pennyfield Lock Rd (intersects River Rd.).  I'll send out further information.

        Thanks,

        Nadim

        .

      • nadim@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2 1:38 PM

          Blockhouse Training

          Who:   You!
          What:   Two courses are offered and both courses can be easily shortened.
          • 7.3K, 270m, 15 controls
          • 4.5K, 160m, 9 controls
          The park has steep hills and can have areas with grassy undergrowth at this time of year.  However, most of each course is set in white woods.  You will have to cross River Rd. and some navigable watercourses.  At at least one creek crossing you are likely to get your feet wet.  Standard controls will be used.  I’ll try to have some water placed on the course but if it is hot you may want to bring your own too.  The weather is forecast to be a 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon; mostly cloudy, with a high near 86; northwest wind between 6 and 14 mph.
          When:   Saturday, July 4, 2009 at 11am
          Where:   Meet at the Pennyfield Lock parking area (a part of the C&O Canal).
          Directions:  From River Road (Rte. 190) and the Capital Beltway (I-495) drive:
          • West on River Road 8.6 miles
          • Left on Pennyfield Lock Rd. for about 0.75 miles
          • Park at the west end of the parking lot
          This area is also accessible by bicycle from the C&O Towpath and that offers some great views of the Potomac River.  The start will be on the canal aqueduct bridge that crosses over Muddy Branch.
          Why: Part of the fun of celebrating the 4th of July!  However, the courses emphasize route choice legs over or around hills and across reentrants where it’s difficult to keep a straight line.  Though not technically difficult, advanced level skills are required.
          How:    RSVP to Nadim@... by Friday night so that I can have enough maps for everyone.  Bring a map case if you can.  I’ll try to have some available.  Gaitors are recommended.  Controls will not to be picked up on Saturday.  A $5 donation is requested all of which will go to supporting orienteering competitors.  If people are inclined after finishing their course, we can compare route choices and splits over lunch somewhere in the town of Potomac.

        • Patti & Mark Mace
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3 6:59 AM
            For those who can't come on Saturday, can join on Sunday at 10am.  Please RVSP us by Saturday before 8pm for map counts.  This is not for public event.  Don't wear the o' club jersey and bring your watch.

            ~Patti & MM
[...]

            How: RSVP to Nadim@comcast. net by Friday night so that I can have enough maps for everyone.  Bring a map case if you can.  I’ll try to have some available.  Gaitors are recommended.  Controls will not to be picked up on Saturday.  A $5 donation is requested all of which will go to supporting orienteering competitors.  If people are inclined after finishing their course, we can compare route choices and splits over lunch somewhere in the town of Potomac.

          • Jon Pifer
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3 12:28 PM
              Nadim:  I am coming to this - thanks!
              Jon P.