Suggested activity for this Saturday

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
      All,

      For anyone who doesn't have their Saturday all planned out, a suggestion - why not participate in the invasive plant removal that will occur at Greenbelt Park as part of their observance of National Trails Day? The notion that we, as a club, ought to come up with some volunteer projects in the parks we frequent has been floated a number of times within my memory but little has come of it due, I suppose, to the difficulty of overcoming inertia and getting organized, coordinating with a park, etc. Here, on the other hand, the park provides the organization and we just have to show up. As a bonus, the work consists of removing invasive plants, many of which do horrible things to runnability (although, perhaps regrettably, greenbriar is native to the area so we don't have license to kill it on sight) so there's a definite element of enlightened self interest to the project for us as orienteers beyond whatever effect it may have in ingratiating us with park management.

      Pre-registration is required so they know how many people to plan for. Details are at http://www.nps.gov/ncr/customcf/apps/eventcalendar/events/GREEevent46823843.html. I'll hope to perhaps see a few familiar faces there on Saturday. Otherwise, I know I'll see lots of them at McKeldin on Sunday. Cheers.

      Jon Torrance
    • rhonda krafchin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
        Thanks for posting that Jon. The Greenbelt project is in conjunction with REI College Park. There are several other REI supported projects going on around the DC area, (including one in Prince William Forest Park), and even more are listed at Americanhiking.org.

        Rhonda