Fair Hill Fun Bus Run - Fair Warning!

  • greg_lennon
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
      QOC will be organizing transport to the Mid-Atlantic Orienteering Championships, a one-day annual event that this year will be hosted on Sunday, Nov. 16 by DVOA at the Fair Hill NRM area in the north-east corner of Maryland (not far from the PA and Delaware borders).  Event URL  (http://www.dvoa.us.orienteering.org/info/news.php?id=443 for the link-impaired)

      What are the Mid-Atlantic Champs? An excuse to orienteer "as a club", with QOC competing with DVOA and SVO, our nearest local orienteering clubs. We win as a club based on an incredibly abstruse calculation involving % of club members participating + numbers of club members finishing faster in each course category + inevitably some fudge factors. All regular courses from beginner to advanced will be offered, plus usually a big relay race (the more teams the better - especially regardless of skill level) in the afternoon. The winning club takes home the exalted award for the year. It's a fine family event, and juniors as well as runners who rarely travel to national meets are highly encouraged to participate.

      So: We need a headcount for those who might be interested in either riding on a charter bus or in rented passenger vans - which gets used will depend on what's popular.

      Assuming we go with a bus, we'll plan 2-3 convenient pickup points, probably at local park'n'rides in NoVA and MD. We're likely to aim to arrive at Fair Hill at 11am, so everyone will have 2+ hours to complete their course before the relays, which means pickups at central locations will be between 8-9:30 or so depending where you are on the route (earlier pickups in VA, later ones in MD).

      The bus cost will probably be $20 or less per adult, half that for juniors. Food and drink is fine on the bus – and on the ride back there's likely to be the ever-popular (but adults only) low-key beer tasting extravaganza (other suggestions welcome too!).

      We need a headcount of interested folks - it's not an ironclad commitment, just a headcount - so please speak up on this Forum or by sending me an email directly, indicating the number of seats you'd be interested in holding, and assuming we reach a critical mass, I'll follow up with meeting point details.

      Thanks,

      Greg Lennon
      QOC co-Prez
    • Gary Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2008

        Hi Greg,

        Karla Hulett and I would like to go.

        Best wishes,

        Gary

        Gary Smith

        President

        Logical Decisions

        9206 Saint Marks Pl

        Fairfax, VA 22031

        703-218-1801

        703-218-1802 (fax)

        gary@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 15, 2008
          I am interesting in going to the meet if there is still room. I am at downtown Silver Spring (Georgia & Colesville). Where is the nearest pickup point?
          ... Dan

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 15, 2008
            Dan,

            I've sent details to your personal Yahoo! account. Welcome aboard -
            it's a pretty big group going this year, which is great!

            -Greg

            --- In Quantico_Orienteering_Club@yahoogroups.com, Dan James
            <xmljames@...> wrote:

            > I am interesting in going to the meet if there is still room. I am
            at downtown Silver Spring (Georgia & Colesville). Where is the nearest
            pickup point?
            > ... Dan

            Warning!