Re: [Quantico_Orienteering_Club] Change the club name?

  • pdickison@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
      I am perhaps in the minority about changing the name, but I strongly feel
      that we should not change it (Quantico OC for most uses -- it's historical
      value alone is wonderful, as one of the oldest o' clubs in North America;
      National Capital Orienteers for other uses as we've already put that on
      several maps and advertised that way) but we absolutely should not abandon
      the term "orienteering" in our name. I've been told that outside the
      adventure racing world most runners/hikers etc STILL haven't heard of
      orienteering, but I a) am skeptical of that and b) think with adventure
      racing expanding and using the term orienteering, it will only enhance our
      image.

      In the March 2003 issue of Running Times, in their montly "Hit the Trails"
      column, the topic is winter adventure racing. Here are a few quotes:

      " In the last few years...adventure racing has become a year-round
      endeavor... These races combine any number of winter activities, including
      skiing (back-country, skate and classic), snowshoeing, ice skating,
      orienteering, snow mountain biking, ropes activities and running."

      " Navigation is a fundamental factor in most adventure races. Teams joke that
      winter orienteering is a non-issue because all you need to do is follow the
      leader's tracks, but courses can cross snowless stretches or... Having
      dependable map and compass skills is crucial, especially when an error in
      course finding can result in hours spent out in the cold."

      The second quote, which implies the meaning of orienteering to anyone who may
      not already know, comes six long paragraphs after the first mention of the
      sport. I think anyone in adventure racing, and even the casual fan of the
      fast-growing sport, has at least a general idea that "orienteering" is
      navigating.

      My 2c as a stick-in-the-mud change-hater.
      Peggy D.
    • nvf0730 <nvf0730@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
        One thing I like about QOC is it's easy to find in the results
        listings for the big meets. I'll bet that orienteers from other
        clubs associate it very readily with this club and its hot
        competitors.

        Proposition: a person who wants to learn about orienteering nowadays
        is likely to look it up online. With keywords "orienteering dc"
        Google produces this at the top of the list:

        <headline & link> Quantico Orienteering Club (Virginia, Maryland and
        Washington, DC ...
        The Quantico Orienteering Club welcomes all ages & skill levels to
        the sport of orienteering. Come explore the outdoors with compass &
        map!
        information, and maps.

        A search via Yahoo also yields a link for QOC at the top. Someone
        going through USOF sees a dot on DC leading in one hop to QOC. I
        looked on the web myself before moving here, sometime in the winter
        of 97-98. The word Quantico confused me for as long as it took to
        find the QOC website; from there it's clear that QOC *is*
        orienteering in the DC metro.

        Coming from elsewhere, my association with the word Quantico was not
        with the Marines but rather with the FBI Academy, for which my only
        mental picture was Jodie Foster running through the woods --- not
        bad...

        Quantico has history, character, the letter Q, and, lucky for us, the
        US Marine Corps. "National Capital Orienteering" is vanilla.
      • Cliff_Hamal@LECG.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
          Good comments by all, with a clear preference for tradition. As a newer
          member, I readily defer to others on most issues, but I have to say that
          when I first heard about QOC I was a bit confused by the name and the
          military connection. It comes up when I introduce others to the sport, and
          while it is easy to explain one-on-one, I wonder how many that read about
          the activities get confused or put off. Like many of you, I'd hate to walk
          away from the heritage. And, I really think that having two different
          names is only going to lead to long-term confusion. So, in the spirit of
          compromise, how about:

          Capital Area's Quantico Orienteering Club

          It's a mouthful, but you can use whatever part of it fits the situation.
          We stay QOC to those in the "O" community. I think it substantially
          softens the "look" of a military or FBI connection, but of course that is
          for you to judge. It will also add to the length of any news article,
          which, as any publicist will tell you, is a key measure of success. By the
          way, I had absolutely nothing to do with the renaming of a local airport.

          Cliff Hamal