Summer Short Series schedule update

  • Peggy Dickison
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10, 2008

      Here’s an updated schedule as it stands now. There are likely to be a few more changes; they’ll be sent out as I have them/closer to the dates affected.

      Saturday, 12 July

           Great Falls, Maryland (Greg & Kathleen Lennon) – see info below

      Saturday, 19 July

           Prince William Forest (Kris Beecroft)

      Saturday, 26 July

           Rockville civic park (Dave Onkst)

      Saturday, 2 August

           TBD

      Saturday, 9 August

           US Champs – no training

      Saturday, 16 August

           Arlington (Valerie Meyer)

      Saturday, 23 August

           TBD

      Saturday, 30 August

           Carderock (Peggy Dickison) OR some place further north (Ted/Eddie)

      Peggy Dickison

      Details for this Saturday at Great Falls, Maryland:

      We will start out of the Old Angler's parking lot at the usual time of 4:pm and then have dinner after at Tally Ho in Potomac. Tally Ho is located between the Potomac Library and the Exxon gas station on Falls Rd, north of the intersection of Falls Rd and River Rd.

      The course will be between 6 - 7km long with a 1:10,000 map. As an exercise, there will be NO TRAILS shown on the map, and there will be NO CONTROL BAGS. We will use the numbered deer study flags (usually 5 small red flags placed at ground level) and fences (mesh 4 x 4m enclosures with red flags placed in the center of the fenced area) as the controls. Although the park is beautiful right now and very runnable, the vegetation, mapped for winter use, is greener than the map indicates. The courses have been set to stay away from the canal path, the main roads and any place the park personnel might be - we want to be inconspicuous.

      The weather for Sat looks great - keep those fingers crossed!! We look forward to seeing everyone,

      Kathleen and Greg

    • Kris Beecroft
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 15, 2008
        I am getting ready for my Summer Short Series event this Saturday. We'll be starting from the Telegraph Road parking area at 4:00 p.m. To get to the Telegraph Road lot, drive towards the Visitor's Center and turn right just before the Center. This will take you to the parking lot. There is a bathroom there.  Don't forget there is a $5 fee to get in to the park if you don't have some sort of park pass.

        The woods are definitely thickish thanks to all of the rain this spring and summer, and the spider webs are abundant. I haven't had too much trouble with ticks this year, but I've also been liberal with the bug spray. Quantico Creek should be crossable in all of the places mapped as crossable. The suspension bridge, which had been closed for a while, is now open again, with a "one person at a time" load limit.

        I was originally going to try to have a picnic afterwards, but the weather looks iffy enough that I think we should stick with a restaurant. There aren't too many options, but I'll scout something out this week. There are some newer shopping centers north on Rt. 1 that might have something interesting.

        Kris

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 15, 2008
          Kris,

              Bob Turbyfill and I may be in PWP on Saturday, hanging controls for a Zero to Orange class that I will teach Friday-Sunday, 25-27 July.  If anyone in QOC wants to take the course, please let me know.  I have some room.  This is Bob's beginning course aimed at getting novices started and as a great review for more experienced orienteers.  Cost is $10 and I need to know in advance so I can email a syllabus.

              Hope we finish on Saturday in time to run!

          Thank you,

          Chuck Ferguson

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 17, 2008
            Hey Kris,

            Excellent!!  Patti and I will be there.  See you on Sat..

            Go orienteering!
            mm

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 18, 2008
              Just a few more things:

              1. There will be e-punching.

              2. The Telegraph Rd. parking lot is one we seldom use. You still want to come through the main entrance off Rt. 619, but instead of turning left towards the Scenic loop or left in to the front parking lot, you will be turning right, just before the Visitor's Center. There is a sign there saying "Telegraph Rd. Picnic Area."

              Kris

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 23, 2008

                This week’s Summer Training Series will take place at the Mark Twain School in Rockville , MD , at 4 PM, on Saturday, July 26. The suggested donation is $5 per person, which goes to the US Orienteering Team.

                The training exercise will be a “Corridor-O”.  It is an intermediate to advanced exercise similar to Line-O that calls for solid map reading, compass, and pace work.  Essentially, the only things shown on the map will be the controls, their leg lines, and the leg lines’ bordering “corridors” (about 50 to 100 meters along the sides of each line between the controls depending on the features.)  The training exercise is a lot of fun and really helps you build several key skills.

                As of this point, I plan to offer two courses—a Short and a Long.

                The Short will be approximately 3.8 to 4 K in length.

                The Long will be approximately 5.7 to 6 K in length.

                Oh, and did I mention that all of this will take place on a NEW MAP.  Yes we’ve run on the Mark Twain School map in some past summer series, but this is a new section that will take you up near Lake Frank thanks to all the hard work of Nadim Ahmed, mapper extraordinaire.

                As always, the event will be low-key. We plan to go to dinner afterward.  Right now, it looks like California Tortilla will be our gathering spot.

                Please RSVP to me for this event ASAP (no later than Friday morning so that I can prepare the maps).  I’m capping it off at 25 people--so contact me right away to let me know you are coming.

                Directions to the event will follow later in the week.

                Thanks and I hope to see you this Saturday.

                Dave O

              • donkst
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 23, 2008

                  PS—don’t worry, I’ll also have regular maps (for those who want them as a back-up) just in case!!!

                  Dave O

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 24, 2008

                    I’ll give you a few detailed comments about the courses in a briefing at 4PM before heading out on Saturday.

                    Course Lengths:

                    Short    3.7K     14 Controls

                    Long     5.9K     22 Controls

                    Scale 1:7,500

                    Directions:  From the Capital Beltway (I-495), take I-270 west.

                    Take Exit 4A toward Montrose Rd. headed east.

                    Before getting onto Montrose Rd. bear left to Tower Oaks Blvd.

                    Turn left onto Tower Oaks Blvd.

                    Turn right on Wooton Pkwy.

                    Going straight, this will eventually cross Rockville Pike (Rte. 355), and Viers Mill Rd. with changes in road names to 1st Street and eventually Norbeck Rd. (Rte. 28).

                    After seeing a golf course on your left, turn left onto Avery Rd.

                    Make an immediate right and left into Mark Twain School and Park.

                    BTW--There are no bathrooms or water fountains at the park, though I will have a little bit of water on the courses.

                    See you Saturday—please don’t forget to RSVP to me and tell me which course you plan to do.  donkst@...

                    Thanks,

                    Dave O

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 24, 2008
                      Dave,

                      If there's any spaces left Dan Do and I would like to participate on Saturday. What's the time limit? Dan wants to do the short course I'm thinking I will too depending on the time limit. I'd rather do the long course but I'm afraid I might take a little too long.

                      Thanks,

                      Dave Levine

[...]

                      See you Saturday—please don’t forget to RSVP to me and tell me which course you plan to do.  donkst@verizon. net

                      Thanks,

                      Dave O

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 25, 2008
                        Hey Dave,

                        I've got Dan signed up for the Short.

                        You can try the Long, and if you want to cut if off earlier, there is an easy way to do so--so I'll just sign you up for the long.

                        See you tomorrow,