$20 for Gas Costs + Juniors Coaching Opportunities

  • greg_lennon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2008
      2008 News: Some great opportunities exist for orienteers willing to
      help coach QOC junior orienteers to improve their skills! And parents
      driving juniors to QOC orienteering events can get $20 towards their
      gas costs (details below).

      Thanks to a grant QOC has received from the US Orienteering Federation
      to help our juniors, we are now able to support several new
      initiatives. To make them, happen, though, we need at least one Coach;
      if we have more than one, responsibilities and roles can be shared or
      split. Please contact us if you might be interested, or know someone
      who would be great.

      Some of the things we now have in hand for our juniors include:

      - Epunches exclusively for free Junior use
      - 7 (!) Garmin GPS watches for downloading routes
      - A really cool transmitter-receiver set-up that allows live
      monitoring of the location of orienteers against a map background
      - US Orienteering Federation coaching manuals
      - QOC Junior Team Jerseys
      - and more!

      As for our new Gas Buddy Program: Any QOC parent who drives an
      orienteering junior child of theirs plus at least one unrelated junior
      orienteer to a regular QOC event qualifies for $20 to help defray
      their gas costs. Find either Club co-President at the meet (or
      afterwards) and tell us the names of the juniors and the courses they
      ran, and we'll get you your $20. Although the details may evolve as
      the year progresses, we hope the program will help get a few more
      juniors out orienteering in the woods and having fun with their buddies.

      So future Coaches - contact us! And of course feel free to contact us
      if you have any questions, ideas or suggestions about these or other
      QOC programs.

      Looking forward to a great 2-O'-O'-8,

      Greg & Kathleen Lennon
      QOC co-Prez's