586Kabbalah Thought

  • chaliceseeker@aol.com
    Apr 11, 2011

      Kabbalists have long maintained that world unity will one day be a physical reality. And the way this will happen is when enough individuals live by the principle of “Love thy neighbor as thyself.”

      Rav Yehuda Ashlag, the founder of The Kabbalah Centre in 1922, discussed the importance of unity in his book The Wisdom of Truth. He wrote that the words, "as thyself" tell us that we should love our friend in the exact measure that we love ourselves—and not any less. This means that we have to desire to be sensitive to the needs of each and every person we come in contact with, and care for them the way we care for ourselves.

      Many of us spend each waking moment tending to our wants and reveling in our pains, real and imaginary. Taking the leap to feeling someone else's pain requires working an entirely different set of muscles.

      If we’re to strengthen this part of ourselves, we need to internalize how we'd feel in someone else's shoes. When we take ourselves out of the picture and stretch our desire to know what the other person is going through, we start to feel their pain. At this point, we can love them as we love ourselves.

      But this doesn't mean to just give and give without thinking, or to feel sorry and pour on the sympathy. No. What this requires is empathy.

      For me, it helps to meditate on the miracle of conception and birth. Think about it, how amazing is it that we all start out as a single cell. One cell that evolves into different frequencies of Light according to our individual soul’s process. Yet our essence is the same.

      When we’re having trouble relating to a person who has had a completely different life experience than we have, remember that deep down we are all the same.

      This week, make a commitment to move beyond yourself. Seek opportunities to connect with at least one other person and really feel his/her pain. Force yourself to be a pure channel by being open and caring. The Light will do the rest.

      Have an amazing week!

    • Show all 58 messages in this topic