`ADHAB - TORMENT, PENALTY ( عَذَاب)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2006
      `ADHAB ( عَذَاب ) = TORMENT, PENALTY

      (`ayn, dhal, alif, ba')

      AL-`ADHAB - THE TORMENT, THE PENALTY*
      *the "AL" prefix makes the word definite, though the translation will
      not necessarily have the "the" in it

      "Ula'ika al-ladhina ishtarawu adh-dhalata bi al-huda wa al-`adhaba bi
      al-maghfirati fama asbarahum `ala an-nari"

      2:175 "They are the ones who buy Error in place of Guidance and
      torment in place of Forgiveness. Ah! What boldness (They show) for the
      Fire!)

      "Wa minhum man yaqulu rabbana atina fi ad-dunya hasanatan wa fi
      al-akhirati hasanatan waqina `adhaba an-nar"

      2:201 "And there are men who say: 'Our Lord! Give us good in this
      world and good in the hereafter, and defend us from the torment of the
      Fire!"

      "Ula'ika al-ladhi ishtarawu al-hayata ad-dunya bi al-akhirati fa la
      yukhaffafu `anhumu al-`adhabu wa la hum yunsaruna."

      2:86 "These are the people who buy the life of this world at the
      price of the Hereafter: their penalty shall not be lightened for shall
      they be helped."

      OH ALLAH! Make useful for me what You taught me and teach me
      knowledge that will be useful to me!

      Please take a moment to forgive me for all mistakes
      and make du`a' for me if you have received anything of benefit.

      DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that mistakes are possible in these
      emails. The translation of words will always, unless noted, be from
      Yusuf Ali and the transliteration is my own.