KUTUB (كُتُبٌ) = BOOKS/SCRIPTURES

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2008

      KUTUB (كُتُبٌ) = BOOKS/SCRIPTURES
      (kaf, ta', ba')

      Fiha kutubun qayyimah

      98:3  Containing correct scriptures

      فِيهَا كُتُبٌ قَيِّمَةٌ

      ATHARNA (أَثَرْنَ ) = THEY STIMULATE*
      (hamzah on alif, tha', ra', nun)
      ATHARA (أثار) = HE STIMULATES
      (hamzah on the alif, tha', alif, ra')

      *This is conjugated in the female plural. Non-human plurals in Arabic ( e.g. books, steeds, dogs, etc.) are conjugated using the female singular or, less commonly but as in this ayah, in the female plural. This verb is to stimulate something, in this case, to stimulate or provoke dust. To stimulate dust then as in this case is to raise it up, thus the translation below.

      100:4 Fa atharna bihi naq`an

      And raise the dust in clouds the while

      فَأَثَرْنَ بِهِ نَقْعًا

      How to access the online flashcards (temporarily down):

      God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

      --
      There's one sad truth in life I've found
      While journeying east and west -