HIYA ( هِيَ ) = SHE/IT

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2007
      *Missed words in review section

      HIYA
      (   هِيَ ) = SHE/IT
      (ha', ya')

      Wa ma adraka ma hiya?

      101:10 And what will explain to thee what this is?

      وَمَا أَدْرَاكَ مَا هِيَهْ

      ADRA (  أَدْرَى ) = TO MAKE KNOW/TO CONVEY TO
      (hamzah on alif, dal, ra', alif maqsura)

      Wa ma adraka ma al-Hutamah

      104:5
      And what will explain to thee That which Breaks to Pieces?

        وَمَا أَدْرَاكَ مَا الْحُطَمَةُ

      MA (مَا) = THAT/WHAT/NEGATE PAST TENSE*
      (mim, alif)

      *"MA" functions as that (as in the ayah below) or what, and sometimes negates past tense verbs. The usage of MA (whether acting as "that/what/etc." or a negation particle can often be determined by the sentence and meaning.

      A fa la ya`lamu idha bu`thira ma fi al-qubur

      100:9 Does he not know,- when that which is in the graves is scattered abroad

      أَفَلَا يَعْلَمُ إِذَا بُعْثِرَ مَا فِي الْقُبُورِ

      How to access the online flashcards (temporarily down):