`ILM (عِلْم) = KNOWLEDGE

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11 4:17 PM
      *the skipped words of this surah are all given in the review section

      `ILM (
      عِلْم ) = KNOWLEDGE
      (`ayn, lam, mim)

      Kalla sawfa ta`lamun

      102:3 But nay, ye shall soon know (the reality)

      كَلَّا سَوْفَ تَعْلَمُونَ

      Thumma, kalla sawfa ta`lamun

      102:4 Again, ye soon shall know!

      ثُمَّ كَلَّا سَوْفَ تَعْلَمُونَ

      Kalla law ta`lamuna `ilm al-yaqin

      102:5 Nay, would that ye knew (now) with a sure knowledge! (Pickthall)

      كَلَّا لَوْ تَعْلَمُونَ عِلْمَ الْيَقِينِ
      REVIEW

      YA`LAM (يَعْلَمُ) = HE KNOWS
      (ya', `ayn, lam, mim)

      *This particle is to indicate that what follows is a question, as in the ayah below.

      A fa la ya`lamu idha bu`thira ma fi al-qubur

      100:9 Does he not know,- when that which is in the graves is scattered abroad

      أَفَلَا يَعْلَمُ إِذَا بُعْثِرَ مَا فِي الْقُبُورِ

      THUMMA ( ثُمّ) = THEN

      (tha', mim with shaddah)

      "Kayfa takfuruna bi Allahi wa kuntum amwatan fa ahyakum thumma yumitukum thumma yuhyikum thumma ilayhi turja`un"

      2:28 "How can ye reject the faith in Allah - seeing that ye were without life, and He gave you life, then he will cause you to die, and will again bring you to life, and again to him will ye return." *

      كَيْفَ تَكْفُرُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَكُنتُمْ أَمْوَاتاً فَأَحْيَاكُمْ ثُمَّ يُمِيتُكُمْ ثُمَّ يُحْيِيكُمْ ثُمَّ إِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

      *while the English translation is not exactly "then" in the latter two uses of " thumma" in this verse, the two instances of "and" each denote a chronological aftermath and thus presents the same meaning as "then" would

      KALLA (كَلَّا) = BY NO MEANS!/NEVER!/NO!/CERTAINLY NOT!
      (kaf, lam with shaddah, alif)

      Kalla la yunbadhanna fi al-hutamah

      104:4 By no means! He will be sure to be thrown into That which Breaks to Pieces,

      كَلَّا لَيُنبَذَنَّ فِي الْحُطَمَةِ

      LAW  ( لَوْ) = IF
      (lam, waw)

      "Wa law dukhilat `alayhim min aqtariha thumma sa'ilu al-fitnata la'atawha wa ma talabbathua biha illa yasiran"

      33:14 And if an entry had been effected to them from the sides of the (city), and they had been incited to sedition, they would certainly have brought it to pass, with none but a brief delay!
      وَلَوْ دُخِلَتْ عَلَيْهِم مِّنْ أَقْطَارِهَا ثُمَّ سُئِلُوا الْفِتْنَةَ لَآتَوْهَا وَمَا تَلَبَّثُوا بِهَا إِلَّا يَسِيرًا

      How to access the online flashcards (currently down):