`AMILU ( عَمِلُوا ) = THEY DID

    Message 1 of 1 , May 10 11:04 AM
      `AMILU  ( عَمِلُوا ) = THEY DID
      (`ayn, mim, lam, waw, alif)

      Illa al-ladhina amanu wa `amilu as-salihati wa tawasaw bi al-haqqi wa tawasaw bi as-sabr

      103:3 Save those who believe and do good works, and exhort one another to truth and exhort one another to endurance.  (Pickthall)

      إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

      REVIEW

      LAM (لَمْ) = PAST TENSE NEGATION PARTICLE*
      (lam, mim)

      *This particle followed by a present tense verb negates and puts both in the past tense, as in the example below. "Tara" ("you see") in the example is the present tense, but putting "lam" before it causes it to considered in the past tense and negated. So "you see" becomes "you did not see."

      A lam tara kayfa fa`ala rubbuka bi ashabi al-fil

      100:9 Has thou not seen how thy Lord dealt with the owners of the elephant?
      (Pickthall translation)

      أَلَمْ تَرَ كَيْفَ فَعَلَ رَبُّكَ بِأَصْحَابِ الْفِيلِ

      How to access the online flashcards (temporarily out of service)