TADLIL ( كَيْد) = THAT OF BEING ASTRAY

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2007
      TADLIL(كَيْد) = THAT OF BEING ASTRAY
      (ta', dal, lam, ya', lam)

      A lam yaj`al kaydahum fi tadlil

      105:2 Did He not make their treacherous plan go astray?

      أَلَمْ يَجْعَلْ كَيْدَهُمْ فِي تَضْلِيلٍ

      LAM (لَمْ) = PAST TENSE NEGATION PARTICLE*
      (lam, mim)

      *This particle followed by a present tense verb negates and puts both in the past tense, as in the example below. "Tara" ("you see") in the example is the present tense, but putting "lam" before it causes it to considered in the past tense and negated. So "you see" becomes "you did not see."

      A lam tara kayfa fa`ala rubbuka bi ashabi al-fil

      100:9 Has thou not seen how thy Lord dealt with the owners of the elephant?
      (Pickthall translation)

      أَلَمْ تَرَ كَيْفَ فَعَلَ رَبُّكَ بِأَصْحَابِ الْفِيلِ

      Please take a moment to forgive me for all mistakes and make du` a' for me if you have received anything of benefit.