TARA (تَرَى) = YOU SEE

    *see review section for the preceding word from this surah TARA (ÊóÑóì) = YOU SEE* (ta, ra , alif maqsura) *Two grammar notes to remember here: -when LAM
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2007
      *see review section for the preceding word from this surah

      تَرَى ) = YOU SEE*
      (ta, ra', alif maqsura)

      *Two grammar notes to remember here:
      -when LAM is followed by a present tense verb, consider that the verb is in the past tense and negated. So while the present tense verb here is "tara" it is rendered "you have not seen"
      -in present tense without LAM present, TARA has an allif maqsura (which looks like a ya' without the dots) at the end. But when LAM precedes verbs such as this that have as their last letter WAW, ALIF, or YA', the last letter drops off. This is why TARA in this ayah has only the TA' and the RA'.

      A lam tara kayfa fa`ala rubbuka bi ashabi al-fil

      100:9 Has thou not seen how thy Lord dealt with the owners of the elephant?
      (Pickthall translation)

      أَلَمْ تَرَ كَيْفَ فَعَلَ رَبُّكَ بِأَصْحَابِ الْفِيلِ

      KAYFA (كَيْفَ) = HOW
      (kaf, ya, fa)

      Kayfa takfuruna bi Allahi wa kuntum amwatan fa ahyakum thumma yumitukum thumma yuhyikum thumma ilayhi turja`una

      2:28 How can ye reject the faith in Allah.- seeing that ye were without life, and He gave you life; then will He cause you to die, and will again bring you to life; and again to Him will ye return.

          كَيْفَ تَكْفُرُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَكُنتُمْ أَمْوَاتاً فَأَحْيَاكُمْ ثُمَّ يُمِيتُكُمْ ثُمَّ يُحْيِيكُمْ ثُمَّ إِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ