ARSIL (أَرْسِلْ) = SEND (COMMAND)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 10:54 PM
      ARSIL ( أَرْسِلْ ) = SEND (COMMAND)

      (hamzah on alif, ra', sin, lam )

      7:111 They said: "Keep him and his brother in suspense (for a while); and send to the cities men to collect-

          قَالُواْ أَرْجِهْ وَأَخَاهُ وَأَرْسِلْ فِي الْمَدَآئِنِ حَاشِرِينَ

      Qalu arjih wa akhahu wa arsil fi al-mada'ani hashirina

      REVIEW

      THUMMA ( ثُمّ ) = THEN

      (tha', mim with shaddah)

      "Kayfa takfuruna bi Allahi wa kuntum amwatan fa ahyakum thumma yumitukum thumma yuhyikum thumma ilayhi turja`un"

      2:28 "How can ye reject the faith in Allah - seeing that ye were without life, and He gave you life, then he will cause you to die, and will again bring you to life, and again to him will ye return." *

      كَيْفَ تَكْفُرُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَكُنتُمْ أَمْوَاتاً فَأَحْيَاكُمْ ثُمَّ يُمِيتُكُمْ ثُمَّ يُحْيِيكُمْ ثُمَّ إِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

      *while the English translation is not exactly "then" in the latter two uses of "thumma" in this verse, the two instances of "and" each denote a chronological aftermath and thus presents the same meaning as "then" would

      Wa `allama Adama al-asma'a kulluha thumma `aradhahum `ala al-mala'ikati fa qala anbi'uni bi asma'i ha'ula'i in kuntum sadiqina"

      2:31 "And He taught Adam the nature of all things, then he placed them before the angels, and said: 'Tell me the nature of these if ye are right.'"

      وَعَلَّمَ آدَمَ الأَسْمَاء كُلَّهَا ثُمَّ عَرَضَهُمْ عَلَى الْمَلاَئِكَةِ فَقَالَ أَنبِئُونِي بِأَسْمَاء هَـؤُلاء إِن كُنتُمْ صَادِقِينَ