    May 2, 2006

      (ba', dal with shaddah, lam, nun, alif)

      Fa a`radu fa arsalna `alayhim sayla al-`arimi wa baddalnahum bi jannatayhim jannatayni dhawata ukulin khamtin wa athlin wa shay'in min sidrin qalilin

      34:16 But they turned away (from Allah., and We sent against them the Flood (released) from the dams, and We converted their two garden (rows) into "gardens" producing bitter fruit, and tamarisks, and some few (stunted) Lote-trees.

          فَأَعْرَضُوا فَأَرْسَلْنَا عَلَيْهِمْ سَيْلَ الْعَرِمِ وَبَدَّلْنَاهُم بِجَنَّتَيْهِمْ جَنَّتَيْنِ ذَوَاتَى أُكُلٍ خَمْطٍ وَأَثْلٍ وَشَيْءٍ مِّن سِدْرٍ قَلِيلٍ

      Wa idha baddalna ayatan makana ayatin wa Allahu a`lamu bima yunazzilu qalu innama anta muftarin bal akhtaruhum la ya`lamuna

      16:101 When We substitute* one revelation for another,- and Allah knows best what He reveals (in stages),- they say, "Thou art but a forger": but most of them understand not.

          وَإِذَا بَدَّلْنَا آيَةً مَّكَانَ آيَةٍ وَاللّهُ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا يُنَزِّلُ قَالُواْ إِنَّمَا أَنتَ مُفْتَرٍ بَلْ أَكْثَرُهُمْ لاَ يَعْلَمُونَ

      *In arabic, to make an "if/then" statement (e.g. "If/when I go to the store, THEN I will finally have food"), the first verb is generally in the past tense, as in this example. This is why "baddalna" or "we substituted" is translated as "WHEN we substitute"

      ITHMUN = SIN
      also translated as guilt sometimes in Yusuf Ali translation

      "Yasalunaka `an il-khamri wa al-maysiri qul fihima ithmun kabirun..."

      2:219 They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." They ask thee how much they are to spend; Say: "What is beyond your needs." Thus doth Allah Make clear to you His Signs: In order that ye may consider-

      "Fa man baddalahu ba`dama sami`ahu fa innama ithmuhu `ala al-ladhina yubadilunahu..."

      2:181 If anyone changes the bequest after hearing it, the guilt shall be on those who make the change. For Allah hears and knows (All things).

      "watara kathiran min hum yusari`una fi al-ithmi* wa aklihim"

      5:62 Many of them dost thou see, racing each other in sin and rancour, and their eating of things forbidden. Evil indeed are the things that they do.

      *The two letter prefix "al-" is a definite article.