graphics tools

  • s
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2010
      Hey guys,
      I'm thinking of delving into trying some low-level graphics stuff. I've been looking around the web for hints, but I wanted some first hand info.
      I'm considering g2, OpenGL and Direct-x, for use with C.
      Before I spend a bunch of money on Amazon buying books, I thought I'd ask for some input. I don't want to repeat the wasted time and money I spent on wxWidgets (that I could never get to compile).
      Mind you, I want to use C and not C++. That's partially what killed wxWidgets for me. Yes I do have VC++, gcc, mingw, ...etc, but my favored compiler is Lcc.

      Anyway, if you've had any experience working with any of these graphics APIs or tools, I'd like your input, favorable or otherwise.

      I've never worked with the graphics APIs so this is totally new to me. What I'm looking for doesn't have to be the easiest, it just has to make sense. I would like to build code that will statically link, rather than dynamically link. I don't want to have to lug around some huge DLL's before the program will execute. That's what turns me off to Allegro and other "tool kits".

      Anybody out there had any experience with this stuff ?

      TIA,
      Steve A.
    • Rick Clark
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2010
        On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM, s <sarbayo@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys,
        > I'm thinking of delving into trying some low-level graphics stuff. I've
        > been looking around the web for hints, but I wanted some first hand info.
        >
        > I would look into SDL. It is quite straight forward to use and I believe
        you can statically link with it. If not, it is only one DLL so it isn't much
        of a burden. You can use their graphics rendering engine and/or use OGL.

        Rick Clark
        http://sites.google.com/site/rickclark58/home

      • s
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2010
          --- In QDepartment@yahoogroups.com, Rick Clark <rickclark58@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM, s <sarbayo@...> wrote:
          >
          > I would look into SDL. It is quite straight forward to
          >use and I believe you can statically link with it. If
          >not, it is only one DLL so it isn't much of a burden.
          >You can use their graphics rendering engine and/or use OGL.
          >
          > Rick Clark
          > http://sites.google.com/site/rickclark58/home

          Thanks Rick,
          I'll give it a "look-see".

          Steve
        • s
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2010
            --- In QDepartment@yahoogroups.com, "s" <sarbayo@...> wrote:
            > --- In QDepartment@yahoogroups.com, Rick Clark <rickclark58@> wrote:
            > > On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM, s <sarbayo@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I would look into SDL. It is quite straight forward to
            > >use and I believe you can statically link with it. If
            > >not, it is only one DLL so it isn't much of a burden.
            > >You can use their graphics rendering engine and/or use OGL.
            > >
            > > Rick Clark
            > > http://sites.google.com/site/rickclark58/home
            >
            > Thanks Rick,
            > I'll give it a "look-see".
            >
            > Steve

            SDL looks promising.
            Unfortunately, the description indicates it does require use of their DLL. At least, that's my interpretation of what I read:
            [quote]
            [snip]....allows you to use SDL freely in commercial programs as long as you link with the dynamic library. [endquote]

            Steve
          • sanyaade
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2010
              Also SFML is an alternative to SDL see: http://www.sfml-dev.org/ the
              following are also good:
              1.) http://www.cs.unc.edu/~rademach/glui/
              2.) http://glew.sourceforge.net/
              3.) http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce.php
              4.) http://www.openframeworks.cc/
              5.) http://nuigroup.com/go/

              The above are random picks but the list is endless depending on what
              type of graphics, complexity
              and how close to the metal you want it to be. Hope they meet your needs.

              God blesses!!!

              Best regards,
              Sanyaade

              On 06/09/2010 17:54, s wrote:

              > --- In QDepartment@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:QDepartment%40yahoogroups.com>, "s" <sarbayo@...> wrote:
              > > --- In QDepartment@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:QDepartment%40yahoogroups.com>, Rick Clark <rickclark58@> wrote:
              > > > On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM, s <sarbayo@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I would look into SDL. It is quite straight forward to
              > > >use and I believe you can statically link with it. If
              > > >not, it is only one DLL so it isn't much of a burden.
              > > >You can use their graphics rendering engine and/or use OGL.
              > > >
              > > > Rick Clark
              > > > http://sites.google.com/site/rickclark58/home
              > >
              > > Thanks Rick,
              > > I'll give it a "look-see".
              > >
              > > Steve
              > >
              > SDL looks promising.
              > Unfortunately, the description indicates it does require use of their
              > DLL. At least, that's my interpretation of what I read:
              > [quote]
              > [snip]....allows you to use SDL freely in commercial programs as long
              > as you link with the dynamic library. [endquote]
              >
              > Steve

            • s
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2010
                --- In QDepartment@yahoogroups.com, sanyaade <sanyaade@...> wrote:

                > Also SFML is an alternative to SDL see: http://www.sfml-dev.org/ the
                > following are also good:
                > 1.) http://www.cs.unc.edu/~rademach/glui/
                > 2.) http://glew.sourceforge.net/
                > 3.) http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce.php
                > 4.) http://www.openframeworks.cc/
                > 5.) http://nuigroup.com/go/
                >
                > The above are random picks but the list is endless depending on what
                > type of graphics, complexity
                > and how close to the metal you want it to be. Hope they meet your needs.
                >
                > God blesses!!!
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Sanyaade

                Thanks Sanyaade,