Article - Learn to Learn

  • Dave Balch The Stay-at-Home CEO
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2002
      The following article pertains to anyone with a small
      business or home business. Please feel free to use it for
      your e-zine, website, or any other electronic or print
      publication; I only ask that you:

      1. do not add or delete anything from the article
      2. include the resource box at the end
      3. notify me that you are using it

      Synopsis
      --------

      Always be willing to learn, especially from your mistakes.
      You may be able to fix a bad situation, but even if not you
      can prevent it from happening again.

      Word count according to Microsoft Word: 578 including title,
      byline, and contact info.

      Other articles on small/home business are available for your use
      at http://www.TheStayAtHomeCEO.com/bucksfreestuff.htm

      Enjoy!

      Dave

      (If you would like it in a different format, please let me know
      and I'll do my best to accommodate!)

      ^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

      Learn to Learn

      by Dave Balch, The Stay-at-Home CEO(tm)

      Marlon was a wonderful farrier. He came every 6 weeks or so
      to trim the horses' feet and make special shoes for one of
      them. A good farrier is critical to a horse's overall
      health because foot disorders can disable a horse to the
      point that he may have to be destroyed. After all, when
      there is over 1,000 pounds to support, everything has to be
      in good working order.

      We weren't the only ones who loved Marlon. He had a loyal
      following of regular customers and was busy all the time.
      Not only did he do a terrific job, he was personable and fun
      to have around.

      When he decided to retire, he trained Trish, his daughter,
      to take over his business. She was also fun and personable,
      so there was a smooth transition. Unfortunately, we started
      having trouble as soon as she took over. It started with
      snow pads, which are rubber inserts that go between the hoof
      and shoe and which are supposed to prevent snow from
      building up in the shoe. The snow was building up in spite
      of the snow pads, and our horse was walking on chunks of ice
      the size of tennis balls. A farrier problem.

      In the spring, we noticed both of the horses were tripping
      on the trail for no apparent reason. Our vet said that
      their feet were not trimmed properly, which was not only
      causing them to trip but which was also stressing some of
      the bones and muscles in their legs. Another farrier
      problem.

      We tried to get her to find out what needed to be done, but
      she got defensive and was difficult to deal with. After
      about six months of problems, it became too much; we had to
      find another farrier. When we told her we were switching,
      she got snotty.

      "Don't you want to know why?" we asked her.

      "No", she said bluntly, and hung up.

      We know that many of Marlon's other customers also switched.
      Trish has ruined her father's business of over 30 years,
      which is a tragedy. But another tragedy is that Trish
      bought the business from him and is making payments. They
      are both going to lose.

      There are two lessons here having to do with learning. The
      first one is this: if you are delivering a flawed or
      otherwise inferior product, you must learn how to fix it!
      What do you think will happen if you do a poor job and don't
      even try to make it right? If she had shown a willingness
      to "do whatever it takes" to fix the problems she was
      causing, we would have been more patient.

      The other lesson is this: if you lose a customer it is
      imperative that you find out why and learn from the
      situation. If it's because of something that you did, you
      may be able to fix it and save the customer, but even if you
      can't save this one, you may be able to prevent losing
      anyone else.

      "Make More Money and Have More Fun" with your small
      business! Dave will show you how with his FREE newsletter,
      or his FREE 'Min-E-Seminar': "Secrets of an Actual $5
      Million Home Business." Visit
      http://www.TheStayAtHomeCEO.com/art.htm to sign-up, for
      information on speaking services, or for copies of past
      articles and newsletters. Comments and/or questions are
      always welcome at 1-800-366-2347 or Dave@....
      (c) Copyright 2002, Dave Balch. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.