Article - Ya Gotta Ask!

  • Dave Balch The Stay-at-Home CEO
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2002
      The following article pertains to anyone with a small
      business or home business. Please feel free to use it in
      your e-zine, website, or any other electronic or print
      publication; I only ask that you:

      1. include the resource box at the end
      2. notify me that you are using it

      Synopsis
      --------

      Is there something that you want or need but you don't
      think you can get it? ASK! You'll be surprised at the
      results!

      Word count according to Microsoft Word: 606 including title,
      byline, and contact info.

      Other articles on small/home business are available for your use
      at http://www.TheStayAtHomeCEO.com/bucksfreestuff.htm

      Enjoy!

      Dave

      (If you would like it in a different format, please let me know
      and I'll do my best to accommodate!)

      ^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      Ya Gotta Ask!

      By Dave Balch, "The Stay-at-Home CEO"(tm)

      The e-mail came just yesterday. A friend had a friend that
      had been trying for 20 years (that's not a typo: TWENTY
      years!) to get Permanent Residency status but, due to INS
      paperwork snafus and red tape, had been frustrated in his
      efforts. The issue is not whether he qualifies; the issue
      is the paperwork.

      Can you imagine being that frustrated for that long?
      Neither could my friend, so she sent an email to everyone in
      her address book asking if anyone knew anyone that could
      help. It sounds pretty unlikely, doesn't it? You'd think
      there would be a better chance of winning the lottery than
      fixing a government paperwork problem with an e-mail shot
      out into the universe! Why bother even asking?

      Guess what? A member of my motorcycle club works for the
      INS, in the same office where the problem has been! What
      are the odds??

      There is a very important lesson in all of this, and here it
      is: if you want something, no matter how unlikely it may
      seem, ya gotta ask! My friend could have easily thought
      that it was ridiculous to send out such a message because of
      the overwhelming odds against getting results. But she did
      it anyway. Ya gotta ask!

      How does this affect your business? There are a million
      ways; here are just a few.

      For one thing, it reminds us to ask for the order, the
      single most common reason that sales are lost; we don't ask
      them to buy from us! Ya gotta ask! Do you know of any
      opportunities to partner with someone but haven't asked
      because "they wouldn't be interested"? Ya gotta ask! Have
      you spotted that perfect new salesperson but haven't
      approached them because they seem happy in their current
      job? Ya gotta ask!

      Why don't we ask these things? Here are some reasons:
      assumption (we think we already know the answer), fear of
      appearing foolish or stupid, fear of rejection, and we just
      don't think of it!

      What can we do about this? First we have to adopt a new way
      of thinking, and then we have to get into the habit of
      thinking that way.

      Let me introduce you to "Dave's Rule of Wrong". Simple yet
      powerful, you can use this tool to determine whether asking
      is a good idea. Ironically, the "Rule of Wrong" involves
      asking yourself a question! "Which would be better? To
      'ask' and be wrong or to 'not ask' and be wrong?"

      Which would have been better? For my friend to ask for help
      for her friend and been wrong (not gotten any help), or to
      not ask for the help and been wrong (in this case, someone
      DID know someone that could help; had she not asked, she
      would have been wrong because of the missed opportunity)?

      It's pretty clear that there is no harm in asking and
      getting no results, but harm in not asking and missing an
      opportunity.

      Which would be better, to ask for the sale and be wrong (get
      a 'no') or to not ask for the sale and be wrong (they
      would've said 'yes' and you missed a sale)?

      Got the idea?

      Sorry, I had to ask!

      "Make More Money and Have More Fun" with your small
      business! Dave will show you how with his FREE newsletter,
      "Big Bucks in a Bathrobe" sent by e-mail. Visit
      http://www.TheStayAtHomeCEO.com to sign-up, for information
      on speaking services, or for copies of past articles and
      newsletters. Comments and/or questions are always welcome
      at 1-800-366-2347 or Dave@.... (c) Copyright
      2002, Dave Balch. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.