How Many Ways Can I Market Thee? Let Me Count the Ways

  • Susan Dunn, The EQ Coach
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003
      Please consider this article for your website or eZine.
      Permission to reprint if byline stays intact and links are
      active.  May change title.  Courtesy copy appreciated.

      TITLE:  How Many Ways Can I Market Thee?  Let Me
      Count the Ways
      AUTHOR:  Susan Dunn, MA , The Marketing Coach
      WORD COUNT:  500
      WRAP:  60

      Mailto:sdunn@...

      “How Many Ways Can I Market Thee?  Let Me Count
      the Ways,”
      by Susan Dunn, MA, The Marketing Coach

      What does it take to be a good marketer?

      You must love your product or service as a true love
      loves their beloved. It takes deep knowledge of the
      attributes, and unflagging enthusiasm. Marketing
      constantly means saying the same thing over and over.
      Again.  How many times, how many ways can you say, I
      coach people in Emotional Intelligence," or "our frosted
      caramel pound cake is the best you can buy"? How do you
      stay fresh? How do you keep taking a new look at your
      product and service?

      1. Understand "the public" and marketing.

      I imagine most of you reading this have heard of the field
      of coaching, yet when I spoke on a cruise, not one person in
      the audience had heard of it. It will always be "new" to
      someone.
      2. Therefore: Marketing 101: By the time you're "sick and
      tired of it," the public is just beginning to hear about it.

      3. Another reason you must repeat and repeat is that open
      rates are so low, and attention spans are so short.
      The average "open" rate for eZines (according to Constant
      Contact, one supplier), is 48%. Half the people won't open
      any given thing you send them, so won't have heard your
      message at all. (Thus the "do it 7 times" rule.)

      4. It can be the litmus test of your passion.
      Think about your child. Did you ever once get tired of
      talking about your child, or run out of things to say? Your
      business must be like that, or else (1) move on, or (2) hire
      a marketing person to impart that enthusiasm.

      5. Or take a vacation.

      Getting refreshed, and seeing new things breed creativity.
      Get a good vacation and when you come back, everything looks
      new.

      6. We create our enthusiasm by creating our enthusiasm.
      It takes effort, intentionality and action. It takes
      discipline. Like love, enthusiasm is an act, not a feeling.

      7. Schedule your marketing and sales time for when you're
      "in the mood."

      Most good salespeople I know admit that sometimes they just
      don't have it, and sometimes -- well, when you're hot,
      you're hot.

      8. Get inspired by reading other people's copy.

      Peruse some large apparel merchant, and marvel at how many
      ways they find to describe -- A BLOUSE! Now, you can do that
      too! Regularly cycle through websites of competitors to see
      what's new. Terms, styles, vocabulary, pitches change.

      9. Book a brainstorming session with a marketing coach when
      you get down and run out of ideas.

      That's what we're here for. When you're doing it constantly,
      and for a variety of items, the pump is always primed. Get a
      website makeover. When the site looks new, so will the
      words.

      10. Listen carefully when your satisfied customers describe
      your products and services, and, yes, write them down.

      They will say things you could never have thought of in a
      million years, and in their own totally unique way.
      Testimonials are worth their weight in gold.

      ©Susan Dunn, MA, The Marketing Coach™,
      http://www.webstrategies.cc .  Full-service marketing for
      the coach or entrepreneur – web design, web strategies, SEO,
      key words, metatags, article-writing and submission, eBook
      writing, consultation, brain-storming.  Mailto:sdunn@
      susandunn.cc for FREE eZine, and put “Checklist” for the
      subject line.  You do what you do best, and let us do your
      Internet marketing.