Increase Sales with Proper Email Etiquette

  • sirtombo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      Anyone may reprint this article as long as the byline
      and the resource box are printed in their entirety.
      A courtesy copy would be much appreciated!

      INCREASE SALES WITH PROPER EMAIL ETIQUETTE

      By Tom Falco (c) 2002
      http://www.XpectMore.com

      I received an email today. It said: "Yes please."
      That was it!

      "Yes please."

      Apparently I corresponded with this person at
      one time and I must have suggested something
      in the last email I sent him and he was
      responding. But you know what? I get about
      300 emails a day.

      I was pleased that he said yes and not no,
      but I have no clue what he said yes about.
      He didn't even sign his name.

      Use common sense when using email.
      Always have a copy of the last correspondence
      attached to the bottom so that the person
      receiving the mail can refresh their memory
      of what your previous mail was about.

      Also, when using email for business purposes,
      it is a good idea to be a bit more formal.

      It's true, the whole concept of email is informal.
      People don't usually use a greeting or ending,
      but for business dealings this is a good idea.

      Even if you start the mail with "Hi Joe - I received
      the order and loved it," it is much better than just
      "Hey there, I received the order and loved it."
      Or worse, leaving a greeting off altogether.

      When corresponding for business try to be
      professional. Start with "Dear Mr. Smith," rather
      than "Dear Joe." It is much more suitable
      and it shows the reader that you are professional.

      Another interesting phenomenon is mass emailings
      where a person wants a quote or an ad swap
      or something that a group of people would respond
      to if interested. I am not talking about spam, I am
      talking about a legitimate business dealing.

      I get requests for ad swaps daily and the ad swap
      is so general and uncaring that I delete it. I will
      go into that in the next story. But one of the worst
      is when a person wants a printing quote from our
      main company, TheDiscountPrinter.com and they
      mass mail us and every other printer they can
      think of for a quote.

      The problem: They are so general about it and
      they don't hide the other email address as "blind
      carbon copy" so that we all see who was asked
      for the same quote. Some of these lists have
      dozens of recipients and it is so unprofessional
      that we never bother to quote. Especially when
      we know that we are competing with 35 or so
      printers.

      If you are mass mailing to businesses, friends
      or whatever, it is a good idea to hide the other
      recipients' names so that the whole list does
      not receive their private email addresses and
      also so the whole list does not know who you
      are sending the mailings to.

      Let the person receiving the mail think that
      they are the only one and not just a number
      on your mailing list. When you received this
      ezine, there was only your email address as
      recipient, not the list of the thousands who
      also received this ezine.

      Think before you send out your next
      email correspondence. Is it as professional
      as you would like it to appear?
      above.