Lessons About Life from the Apple

  • Susan Dunn, The EQ Coach
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2003
      Please consider this article for your website or
      ezine.  Permission to reprint if byline stays
      intact.  May change title if you like.  Courtesy
      copy appreciated.

      TITLE:  Lessons About Life from the Apple
      AUTHOR:  Susan Dunn, MA Psychology, The EQ Coach
      WORD COUNT: 498
      WRAP:  65
      Mailto:sdunn@...
      Photo available:
      http://www.susandunn.cc/images/susaninstripe1.JPG

      “Lessons About Life from the Apple,”
      by Susan Dunn, MA Psychology, The EQ Coach

      We transform ourselves and our lives when we look
      at things differently. Take a new look at THE
      APPLE and what it can teach us.

      "The Botany of Desire: A Plant's Eye View of the
      World," (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/
      0375760393/susandunnmome-20 ) is a delightful
      book full of fascinating facts as well as
      profound truths.

      1. Apples don’t grow true to seed.  It's grafting
      makes the Braeburn or the Gala.

      2. The experimental Geneva Orchard contains
      incredible varieties.

      Apples that taste like bananas and pears; spicy
      apples and sweet ones; yellow, green, spotted,
      russet, striped, and purple.

      3. Apples can be small as a grape or weigh more
      than a pound.

      4. Johhny Appleseed was planting apple orchards
      for the cider, the alcohol.

      5. Not until prohibition, did the apple industry
      come up with the slogan, "An apple a day keeps the
      doctor away," to promote them for their health
      qualities.

      6. The tremendous original variety has been all
      but killed off by the dominance of a few
      commercially important apples.

      Apple breeders, “locked in a kind of sweetness
      arms race with junk food,” lean heavily on the
      genes of the Red and Golden Delicious.

      7. Apples originated around Alma-Ata, in
      Kazakhstan. "Alma-Ata" means "father of the
      apple."

      8. Evidently there are almost as many ways to be
      an apple, as there are to be a human being!

      "I saw apples," writes Pollan, "with the hue and
      heft of olives and cherries alongside glowing
      yellow Ping- Ping balls and dusky purpose berries.
      I saw a whole assortment of baseballs, oblate and
      conic and perfected round, some of them as bright
      as infield grass, others dull as wood. And their
      taste -- imagine sinking your teeth into a tar
      potato or a slightly mushy Brazil nut covered in
      leather. On first bite some of these apples would
      start out with high promise on the tongue… only to
      suddenly veer into a bitterness so profound it
      makes my stomach rise in recollection."

      9. The apple tree is no longer evolving, but the
      viruses, bacteria, fungi and insects who love it
      are.

      Pollan continues:  "In the wild a plant and its
      pests are continually coevolving in a dance of
      resistance and conquest that can have no ultimate
      victor. But coevolution ceases in an orchard of
      grafted trees, since they are genetically
      identical from generation to generation. The apple
      tree is no longer evolving, but the viruses,
      bacteria, fungi and insects who love it, are. The
      domestication of the apple has gone too far, to
      the point where the species' fitness for life in
      nature (where it still has to live, after all!)
      has been dangerously compromised.

      Now here’s the EQ question -- Are you changing
      enough to keep up with the -- figuratively and
      literally speaking -- viruses, bacteria, fungi and
      insects that live in your world? Or have you
      “domesticated yourself” to the point where you are
      no long fit?

      Keep evolving. Become a master of change, i.e.,
      resilient. It’s an Emotional Intelligence
      competency.

      ©Susan Dunn, MA Psychology, the EQ Coach,
      http://www.susandunn.cc , here to assist, inspire,
      support and transform your experience of yourself,
      your life, your relationships, your career and
      your world through the magic of emotional
      intelligence competencies (EQ).  “Resilience,” and
      other ebooks available in The EQ eBook Library –
      http://www.webstrategies.cc/ebooklibrary.html .
      Mailto:sdunn@... for FREE eZine.  Call
      210-496-0678.