An Online Marketer Meets A Normal Person

  • Cathy Bryant
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003
      You have permission to reproduce this article in
      your newsletter and/or on your website provided
      the resource box remains intact and with the article.

      Article Title: An Online Marketer Meets A Normal Person
      Author: Cathy Bryant
      Word Count: 491
      Mailto:cathy@...

      Article available via autoresponder:
      mailto:normal@...

      An Online Marketer Meets A Normal Person
      by Cathy Bryant
      © 2003
      http://www.homebizjunction.com

      Often I get the feeling that normal people (you know, the
      ones that don't spend hours on end lurking behind their
      computer screens) think those of us who earn our living online
      are just, well...different.

      For example, here's a composite of the type of conversation
      I have at an ordinary, everyday gathering of normal people:

      Normal person: "So what do you do for a living?"

      Me: "I own and operate an online business."

      Normal person: "Really! So what exactly is it that you
      do online?"

      At this point the normal person is showing genuine interest
      in learning more about my business. But when I attempt to
      answer their question about "exactly" what I do, that's when
      the fun REALLY begins.

      Me: "I operate a website that helps people earn an income
      from home."

      I know this doesn't really answer their question, because
      their REAL interest comes in their next inquiry:

      Normal person: "So how EXACTLY do you make money doing that?"

      Now, for those of you who work online, you KNOW how difficult
      it can be to explain that to someone who has absolutely no
      knowledge of how internet marketing works. And if they've
      had a drink or two, well...forget it.

      But I try.

      Me: "I publish a newsletter and review various products
      and resources that help people earn an income from home.
      In my newsletter I warn people of the enormous number of
      "work at home" scams that exist and keep them informed
      about the best products, opportunities, and resources
      available to help them create a home-based income. I
      feature a wide variety of items and because I own them
      and use them myself, I can recommend them as high quality
      products. I then make a commission on the items I sell
      because I am an affiliate of the companies that own them."

      If you market online yourself, you know what comes next.

      The polite smile.

      Or the blank stare.

      But more often than not, they feel compelled to respond,
      even though by this time you've lost them. Completely.

      Normal person: "So what did you do before you started
      this online business?"

      Translation:

      Have you ever had a "real" job? If so, let's talk about
      that because it's something I can understand. If not,
      I'm going to have to excuse myself and go get another
      drink because I'm clueless here and I sure don't want
      to admit it.

      Me: "Oh, do you mean did I have a regular nine-to-five
      job? One of those ones that meant fighting horrendous
      traffic five days a week, putting up with difficult
      bosses and grumpy co-workers, and not being able to take
      time off when I wanted to or needed to? Yea, I had one
      of those once."

      Suddenly, the normal person begins to understand that
      you aren't so different after all. A knowing expression
      creeps across his or her face. Then they ask their final
      question:

      "Do you happen to have a business card?"

      Cathy Bryant escaped the rat race several years ago. Visit
      her website at http://www.homebizjunction.com and see what she
      can offer those who wish to do the same. Subscribe to her
      newsletter to stay informed about the best products available
      for those who want to create a home-based income.