A Decision to Stay Home

  • plantldy98@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
      Dear Publishers,

      publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and the
      link is made active at websites and if possible, in newsletters. Please do not
      make changes without permission. A courtesy copy of the publication this
      article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is Plantldy98@...

      A Decision to Stay Home
      by Monica Resinger

      I worked at an office job up until my son was two struggling with the guilt
      and yearning of wanting to be home to raise him full time. I was extremely
      lucky because my grandmother watched him, but I still would rather be home raising
      him myself. I felt my son and I were both missing out on things that would
      never happen again such as his first step or mommy kissing boo-boos.

      My grandmother knew that I desperately wanted to be home raising him and at
      one point she told me she couldn't watch him anymore because she couldn't keep
      up with him; she used this as an excuse to get me to take action because she
      knew I wanted to stay home, but I was afraid to take the first step. This is
      the point a decision had to be made. Did I want to continue to have someone else
      raise my child during the day or did I want to follow my heart and raise my
      son myself? I knew all along that raising my boy was the most important thing
      to me, but I was afraid to quit my job because I thought we wouldn't have
      enough money to live on.

      It seemed my husband didn't make enough money for us to live on because of
      our spending habits at that time. Not so much his, but mine. I would go out to
      lunch daily at work and freely spend the money I earned on cosmetics, things
      for the house or other unnecessary items, rarely looking at prices. I was a
      spendthrift that wasn't sure if I could change. I tried to think of ways to make
      money from home and thought of a lot of ways, but they all seemed out-of-reach
      for me at the time.

      Finally, even though I was still afraid of not having enough money to live
      on, I made the decision to quit my job on the good faith of my abilities to cut
      back or drop my spending habits, and to save money in every possible situation
      I could. I had it all planned out. I'd save coupons, shop only sales and cut
      dollars at every angle I could. I would consider this my new ‘job'.

      It wasn't easy. We didn't have the money to do the things we used to do like
      go to the movies or order a pizza, but the rewards of teaching myself a frugal
      way of life were worth more than I can say. I was no longer torn inside and
      felt I was where I wanted to be. I found that nothing was more important to me
      than being home raising my son. I learned how to be a good, thrifty homemaker.
      As time passed, my husband started making a little more money, which offered
      a little more freedom in spending. Soon, we were planning our second child and
      she was born and I got to stay home and raise her too!

      These were treasured times for me and I'm still home even though the kids are
      in full-time school now. It's nice to be here when they get home so they
      don't have to come home to an empty house and I have time to prepare home-cooked
      meals and keep the house up. When they get days off, I'm here and we don't have
      to worry who's going to watch them.

      If you're a working mother that yearns to be home raising your children, here
      are some valuable lessons I learned from my experience. I hope they help you
      in some way.

      Take a good look at where your money is going.
      First, sit down with a piece of paper and pen and add up how much it is
      costing you to work. The first and biggest place to look is daycare and
      transportation costs. Also write down what you spend on lunches. Try and think about ‘
      hidden' costs such as ordering pizza because you worked and don't have time to
      cook a meal or your wardrobe. Add these and any other working costs up and
      subtract it from your income.

      Find Ways to Save Money
      Take another piece of paper and write down ways in which you can save money
      and estimate how much. For example, by using coupons and shopping sales you may
      be able to save $100 a month on groceries. Write it down along with other
      ways such as ‘close doors of rooms not in use to save electricity', or, instead
      of going to the movies 4 times a month, go once and write in the amount saved.
      You have to think of everything you currently spend money on and figure out
      ways to cut back. You'll find you can get very creative when you need to be.

      Add it up
      Now add your lists together and see if you can ‘make' as much as your job.
      Most of the time you can get pretty close, but if you can't, don't fret because
      where there's a will, there's a way. If you haven't met your income by the
      above savings methods, consider other ways to make money.

      How Can you Make Money from Home?
      The first thing to do is ask yourself what you're good at and what you enjoy
      doing. Everyone has a special talent. For some people it may be a craft, for
      others, it may be writing, grooming pets or planning trips among many other
      possibilities. Whatever you do well, find a way to make money with it. Someone
      who's good at crocheting afghans may make up a website about crocheting and
      selling these afghans or take the finished afghans to a craft bazaar to sell.
      Someone who's good at writing may begin writing in their preferred subject and
      start submitting to magazines or look on the internet for other ways to make
      money writing. If you're interested in publishing an e-zine for profit, I have
      written an e-book titled 'How to Create an Ezine for Proft' and you can find out
      how to get this e-book here: http://homemakersjournal.com/intro.htm

      Don‘t let fear get in your way.
      The biggest thing I learned is to not be afraid of change. Sometimes we have
      to take what seems to be a huge step to be able to get what we want. I took
      that step and made it, so can you.

      The most important thing I can say about all of this is to follow your heart.
      Do what is right for you; not what someone else thinks is right for you. If
      being home is what you want, then pursue it with all your heart.

      Get Monica's FREE e-zine for homemakers that includes delicious recipes and
      fun & informative home and garden articles 3 times per week! To subscribe,
      just send a blank e-mail to: HomemakersJournal-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Get FREE home and garden e-books at Monica's website, 'Homemaker's Journal
      E-publications'; Click here: http://homemakersjournal.com

    • plantldy98@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
        Dear Publishers,

[...]

        Get Monica's FREE weekly e-zine for homemakers! To subscribe, just send a
        blank e-mail to: HomemakersJournal-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Check out the 56 home, garden and recipe e-books full of reader tips that
        have been published here: http://homemakersjournal.com/allebooks.htm

      • plantldy98@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2007
          Dear Publishers,

          publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and the
          link is made active at websites and if possible, in newsletters. Please do not
          make changes without permission. A courtesy copy of the publication this
          article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is _Plantldy98@..._
          (mailto:Plantldy98@...)

          A Decision to Stay Home
          by Monica Resinger
          _http://homemakersjournal.com_ (http://homemakersjournal.com)

[...]

          Monica is the founder Homemaker's Journal E-publications, the growing home of
          many fun and informative home and garden e-books, tip sheets, articles and
          more! _http://homemakersjournal.com/_ (http://homemakersjournal.com/)
          Get a FREE Slowcooker Recipe E-book when you subscribe to Monica's FREE
          e-zine for homemakers! To subscribe and receive instructions for picking up your
          FREE e-book, just send a blank e-mail to:
          _HomemakersJournal-subscribe@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:HomemakersJournal-subscribe@yahoogroups.com)
          Feel free to publish this article as long as the above bylines & this note
          are included; notification at _Plantldy98@..._ (mailto:Plantldy98@...)
          would be appreciated.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
            Dear Publishers,

            Please feel free to publish the following article (in its entirety) in your publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and the link is made active at websites and if possible, in newsletters.  Please do not make changes without permission.  A courtesy copy of the publication this article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is Plantldy98@...

[...]

            Other e-books from my website that include great ideas to get you started making money from home:

            ~ Tips and Ideas for Selling Things as a
            Home Business:
            http://homemakersjournal.com/homebusiness.htm

            ~ 504 Relaxing Bath and Beauty Recipes:
            http://homemakersjournal.com/bathrecipes.htm

            ~ 475 Gift Basket and Survival Kit Ideas:
            http://homemakersjournal.com/giftbasket.htm