The First Step to Real Success

  • wendy@business-personal-coaching.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 5:01 AM
      Article Title: The First Step to Real Success

      Author: Wendy Hearn

      Contact Author: wendy@...

      Publishing Guidelines: Publish freely with credits

      Web Address: http://www.Business-Personal-Coaching.com

      The First Step to Real Success

      Do you want to have success? Do you want to feel a successful
      person? Success is what many people are striving for.
      Success is deemed to be the ultimate goal to strive towards.
      That's fine to a degree, because we all need to head towards
      something worthwhile. However, one of the problems I've
      noticed is that, although many people say they want success,
      they can't define it clearly. Their definition of success is
      vague.

      People tend to measure success in material possessions or
      monetary terms. Typically by statements like, "When I'm a
      millionaire I'll feel successful" or "When I have a top of
      the range luxury car I'll know I've reached success." Success
      is often put on a pedestal, at a distance. All too often,
      before these goals are reached, they're extended. It's almost
      as if the closer they get to success, the further away they
      move the goal posts.

      When we define success, we often compare ourselves to others.
      It's too easy to look at another person's perceived success
      and think if we had that as well, we would be successful.
      We strive for the possessions others have in order to
      experience success. If we don't get them, we feel a failure.
      Or we get these material possessions and then discover that
      having them isn't all it's cracked up to be, so we still
      don't necessarily feel successful. When you compare yourself
      to others you're likely to be left feeling a failure. When
      your idea of success comes down to money or material
      possessions, you often wake up and realise there's something
      missing in your life. Success is about much more than that.

      I'm not suggesting you forget the monetary aspect of success,
      because this is certainly a part of it. But it is only a
      part. True success encompasses all areas of your life and
      when you measure all of them, your success will be more
      balanced. The different areas of your life to consider are:

      Physical environment
      Health
      Friends/Family
      Work
      Partner/Relationship
      Fun/Recreation
      Personal Development
      Finances.

      The measurement of your success goes beyond work and business.
      When we get too tied up in measuring our success through what
      we do for a living, we can come crashing down if we're made
      redundant or the business ceases.

      Success is often talked about. It's one of those things that
      many people are striving for, but fear at the same time. We
      talk about people and label them as successful. Yet success
      as a word is often without any real meaning for most people.
      Success is held up as something to aim for.

      If you're chasing other people's versions of success, you're
      not likely to experience it yourself. You will only feel and
      be successful when you do it your own way. The first step
      towards real success is to define success for yourself. The
      dictionary defines 'success' as the achievement of something
      desired, planned or attempted. Your definition will
      different from other people's. Success isn't an end result
      or a goal; it's a process and a journey to be enjoyed.

      "There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in
      your own way" - Christopher Morley

      Success needs to be exciting and fill you with enthusiasm,
      not put you under undue pressure. Let your definition of
      success give you plenty of opportunities to celebrate. Your
      measure of success should challenge you, to really bring our
      your best rather than allow you to become complacent.

      How will you know when you're successful? What is your own
      definition of success?

      Wendy Hearn - Personal and Professional Coach

      She works with business owners, professionals, executives and
      managers who are ready to enrich their lives. . . finding more
      success, fun, balance, joy and time.
      Free Report - How to Focus on Achieving What You Really Want
      Send email to mailto:wendy-15269@...
      http://www.Business-Personal-Coaching.com

      Copyright 2002, Wendy Hearn. All rights reserved.