Todays Situation

  • Russ Tower
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2002
      Just a note to let everyone know that I have been off line to day because of
      replacing the LL modem card in the computer. All seems well now and will go
      back on line until I have to leave for the evening around 19:30 Hrs Z.

      I'm still planning on putting up that Bobtail curtain antenna as soon as I
      can find time to do it.
      I'll let you all know as soon as it's installed.

      73/Russ
      K1DOW
    • n7mjw <n7mjw@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2002
        Hey Russ...

        Did you ever consider a sterba crutain? Not too big on 15 meters,
        and probably more bi-directional gain then the bobtail. Also a closed
        loop system so it sould be less noisy... I'll send you an article.

        Dave

      • n7mjw <n7mjw@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2002
          http://www.arrl.org/members-only/tis/info/pdf/9110026.pdf

          I dont have a local copy any more but here is the link.
        • Russ Tower
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2002
            Dave;

            Thanks for that link. I built and installed that very antenna for 10 meters quite some years ago and worked consistently in to Africa on 10 meters with it. We were in a minimal phase of sunspot activity then, but when there was anything of a band opening at all in the favored direction, I could get through. This was on SSB, long before my "digital daze." ;-)
            Putting up this configuration for 15 meters would be a little more challenging space wise here, but could be done..

            BTW - I'm an ARRL member but never found the path to access articles like this once I log on to their web page.. I got the impression that the ARRL wants you to BUY back issues of QST or BUY  hard copies of the articles you are interested in. Can you tell me how to navigate the ARRL site to where I can download articles in PDF format like I did with the link you sent me?

            73/Russ

            I dont have a local copy any more but here is the link.

            .
          • n7mjw <n7mjw@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2002
              Hi Russ.

              at the arrl.org main page there is a link to services in the yellow
              bar that run across the screen near the top,

              clicking "services" brings down a drop down menu. Click
              on "technical information",

              one of the first links on the new page is "TIS pages", click it.

              On the new page there is an alphabetical list of topics. Antennas is
              the seccond section. "Antenna Projects" is where to go from here...

              then click on the link "other hf antennas".

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/