TCP/IP over Q15X25 (Soundmodem newqpsk)

  • aquaratza
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2012
      Herro

      I realise this list hasn't been touched in ages, but I thought I'd ask my question anyway :

      I recently travelled to a remote area where the only form of communication with the outside world was satellite phone and HF radio. I figured it'd be quite cool to be able to access network resources at home via a data link on HF.

      My questions are :

      How feasible is it to run TCP/IP telnet sessions over Q15X25 on HF using the "newqpsk" implementation in Soundmodem (half duplex/one channel) ?

      The newqpsk protocol seems to happily run at 2500 and 5000 bits per seconds... can it run at other bitrates ? how many separate carriers/tones are transmitted for 5kbit/sec ?

      Why are the carriers separated by 125Hz gaps ?

      Soundmodem has several options, namely Interleave, FEC, Tune length, etc... what does Interleave mean ?

      Does anyone have any idea how I could make a linux terminal available on HF through Soundmodem+newqpsk ? Could I create a KISS interface and then attach a Linux terminal to it ?

      Thanks in advance :)
    • David
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26, 2012
        Hello Blue,

        Sorry for the delay (I'm a new Q15X25 member) and I hope you're still on the list! Anyway, if you search in the archives in this list, you'd find http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Q15X25/message/367 where it shows that using this "newpsk" should be pretty strait forward if you've been able to use soundmodem for say 1200BAUD AFSK.

        If you'd like to try this out on HF, we can setup a sched and see
        if we can get things working! I've not personally tried NewPSK yet but I think it would fun to try. I have tried 300B HF packet on the 105 Net and the lack of any FEC really tries my patience with all the retries!

        I can't answer your other questions (I've emailed Thomas Sailer in the post without any reply) but I do know that Tomi Manninen who wrote this component for soundmodem has been around in recent times.

        Finally, for a terminal, it's hard to beat Linpac for KISS-based packet communications. In fact, Radek recently made me an administrator of the SF.net project and I hope to officially add a
        few patches, etc.

        http://linpac.sourceforge.net/index.php

        --David
        KI6ZHD
      • Charles
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2012
          In short - you are barking up the wrong tree in a number of ways.

          It's not just that you cannot reasonably expect to do what you want with Q15x25...

          The fact is that only in the imagination is it possible to do so over HF frequencies with any digital mode.

          Sorry!

          Have you looked into "SailMail" ?

          73 DE Charles, N5PVL