RE: Pactor FEC ID

  • Scott Thile (K4SET)
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
      The ID tools are there, and they can and should be used. No one forces you
      to ID with your CW keyer, or your voice either for that matter.

      SCS, Airmail, and Winlink 2000 has taken every precaution it can to insure
      good operating practices. Repeated offenders are locked out of the system.
      The QRMers are not IDing are NOT Winlink 2000 operators. Some are using some
      old Winlink Classic stations (no longer supported by Winlink 2000) which are
      run a mock, with some intentionally interfering to stir the pot.
      Unfortunately we have no control over them.

      Some use Airmail and the SCS modems for HF commercial and HF marine SSB
      frequencies, and the ID features must remain optional in order for the units
      and software to have the flexibility to comply for all services for which
      they are legally used. The developers have worked closely with the FCC to
      insure legal compliance in all services.

      Some use CW to interfere, some use voice, some will use just about anything.
      Pactor is no different. If the operator does not ID, it's very tough to know
      who it is regardless of what mode they are using.

      Of course there is a bit of history with this topic on MANY other lists. If
      anyone would like to discuss this further I'll be happy to discuss it off
      list. Charles and I pretty much know where each other stand on this issue.

      Thanks, 73 and 75, Scott, K4SET, RadioMinistries

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
        wrote:

        > The SCS Pactor units have employed a Pactor FEC ID at the end of
        each
        > connection or connection attempt since summer of 2003. It was
        immediately
        > implemented with Airmail and Winlink 2000. At least two of the
        soundcard
        > mode programs can monitor ID that (MixW and Digipan).
        >
        > As Jeremy stated, before that, we used a CW ID with Winlink 2000.
        Of course
        > having these ID options does not fix the problem of some lid or
        another
        > disabling them and than causing interference, which has been the
        case on
        > some of the NON-Winlink related QRM that we (Winlink 2000
        operators) have
        > been very unfortunately blamed for.

        O.K. Scott. Get ready to feel the pain of your LIES. (Or ignorance).

        ------------------------------

        cmd: Thiis is to let you know local echo is on.
        (N1OHX)
        *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP

        cmd: help reset
        RESE(t):
        causes a software reset. Box contents and
        system
        parameters will not be changed by
        RESEt.

        cmd: help restart
        REST(art):
        causes a software restart. CAUTION: RESTart
        may
        erase the complete mailbox contents. It sets
        the
        system parameters to default
        values.

        cmd: reset
        PTC-II System 68360/DSP-56303
        Version V.3.6 Level 3
        (C) 2005 SCS GmbH & Co. KG

        2097152 bytes SRAM detected
        256k words DSP-RAM detected

        BIOS: Version 1.90 detected

        FLASHCALL: *SCSPTC*

        *** STBY >>

        cmd: restart
        PTC-II System 68360/DSP-56303
        Version V.3.6 Level 3
        (C) 2005 SCS GmbH & Co. KG

        2097152 bytes SRAM detected
        256k words DSP-RAM detected

        BIOS: Version 1.90 detected

        FLASHCALL: *SCSPTC*

        *** STBY >>

        cmd: my n1ohx
        Mycall: >N1OHX<

        cmd: maxE 30
        *** TIMEOUT-PARAMETER: 30

        cmd: heklp
        *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP

        cmd: help cwid
        CW(id):
        First parameter:
        enables (1-5) or disables (0) CW-
        identification:
        0: CWID off
        1: Pactor (ARQ) CWID on
        2: Pactor (ARQ + Unproto) CWID on
        3: Amtor (ARQ) / Pactor (ARQ + Unproto) CWID
        on
        4, 5: like 2 and 3, CWID also after RX-
        QRT
        (Default: 1)

        Second parameter:
        0: normal CWID
        1: CWID at startup on ARQ Master
        calls
        2: audio-CWID only / without PTT-
        Keying
        3: functions 1 and 2 enabled.
        4-7: like 0-3 but on PACTOR slave connects CWID right
        after first own TX packet.
        (Default: 0)

        cmd: cwid
        *** CWID-PARAMETERS: 0 2

        cmd: c k4set
        *** NOW CALLING K4SET

        *** NO RESPONSE FROM K4SET / 19:16:38 / FRI, 02-JUN-06

        *** STBY >>

        cmd: parameters CWID were set to 0 2, yet no CWID was sent. Let's
        *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP

        cmd: look at what AIORMAIL sets as defaults.
        *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP

        cmd: sorry for the typo's, just wanna prove this hasn't been edited
        *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP

        cmd:

        -------------------------

        Let's take a journey into a FRESH copy of AIRMAIL.
        CALLSIGN, BAUDRATE, QTH and LOCATOR have been set.
        CWID has been SPECIFICALLY CHECKED, IT WAS NOT
        A DEFAULT AND IT WAS HIDDEN UNDER AN "ADVANCED"
        OPTIONS TAB!

        -------------------------

        2006/06/02 19:20:01 PTC-IIex modem initialized OK

        cmd:

        PTC-IIex - High Performance HF/VHF/UHF Communications Controller
        PACTOR - Level-III - High Speed Data Transfer Protocol
        >>> Professional / Marine Firmware V.3.6 <<<
        (C) 1994-2005 SCS GmbH & Co. KG - Germany

        BIOS: Version 1.90 detected

        Packet Radio Port: SCS - DSP MULTI MODEM detected

        cmd:
        < modem reset >

        PTC-II System 68360/DSP-56303
        Version V.3.6 Level 3
        (C) 2005 SCS GmbH & Co. KG

        2097152 bytes SRAM detected
        256k words DSP-RAM detected

        BIOS: Version 1.90 detected

        FLASHCALL: *SCSPTC*
        [17]
        *** STBY >>

        cmd: TERM 4
        cmd: SERB
        Baudrate setting: 57600 BD (auto)
        cmd: TRX RTS 0
        *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP
        cmd: AM
        AMTOR/PTC-II V.3.6 (C) 1994-2005 SCS GmbH & Co. KG
        **-A-** (SCSP):>TR 0
        *** T/R-REVERSE PARAMETER: 0
        **-A-** (SCSP):>PT
        *** PACTOR ACTIVE >>>
        [17]
        *** STBY >>
        cmd: QRTC 4
        QRT-CHARACTER = ASCII: 4
        cmd: ESC 27
        ESCAPE-CHARACTER = ASCII: 27
        cmd: PTCH 31
        *** PACTOR HOSTMODE CHANNEL: 31
        cmd: MAXE 35
        *** TIMEOUT-PARAMETER: 35
        cmd: LF 0
        *** LF IGNORE PARAMETER: 0
        cmd: CM 0
        *** CONNECT-MSG: 0
        cmd: REM 0
        *** REMOTE: 0
        cmd: BOX 0
        *** DIRECT BOX ACCESS: 0
        cmd: MAIL 0
        *** MAIL-ANNOUNCER-PARAMETER: 0
        cmd: CHOB 0
        *** CHANGEOVER-BELL-PARAMETER: 0
        cmd: UML 0
        GERMAN HUFFMAN UMLAUTS: 0
        cmd: TRX S 0 (These errors are due to the fact thatI do not)
        *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP (have auto-qsy circuitry, it is illegal on)
        cmd: TRX DU 0 (band to have the PTC auto-qsy and
        *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP (Auto-Call. These features are,
        cmd: U *1 (however, available in AirMail)
        *** UNPROTO-REPETITION-TIME: 1 (Pactor ID repetition has been SET,
        cmd: CHO 25 (Even though CWID was set in airmail)
        CHANGE-OVER-CHARACTER = ASCII: 25
        cmd: BK 24
        BREAK-IN-CHARACTER = ASCII: 24
        cmd: FSKA 171
        AFSK TX AUDIO OUTPUT LEVEL (PEAK-TO-PEAK, mV): 171
        cmd: PSKA 228
        PSK TX AUDIO PEAK LEVEL (PEAK-TO-PEAK, mV): 228
        cmd: TIME 19:20:00
        Time: 19:20:00
        cmd: DATE 02.06.06
        Date: FRI, 02-JUN-06
        cmd: ST 2
        *** STATUS-LEVEL: 2
        cmd: PAC PRB 0
        cmd: PAC CM 0
        cmd: PAC CB 0
        cmd: PAC M 0
        cmd: PAC US 10
        cmd: FAX MB
        Baudrate setting: 57600 BD
        cmd: FAX D 500
        *** FM-FAX DEVIATION: 500
        cmd: FAX FR 3
        *** FM-FAX RX-RESOLUTION: 3
        cmd: FR MO 0
        *** FREE SIGNAL MODE: 0 (NONE)
        cmd: SYS SERN
        Serial number: (I have deleted this for security)
        cmd: < Modem serial#: (This too)
        MY *SCSPTC*
        Mycall: >*SCSPTC*<
        cmd: LICENSE
        LICENSE: (Deleted for security)
        cmd: < Professional (Pactor-3) firmware ver: 3.6, P-3 license OK >
        <Airmail: PTC-II initialized OK first try>
        TONES 2
        *** AUDIO TONES: 2
        cmd: MARK 1600 (Pay CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THESE!)
        *** MARK FREQUENCY (HZ): 1600 (WinLink IS UPPER SIDEBAND!)
        cmd: SPACE 1400
        *** SPACE FREQUENCY (HZ): 1400
        cmd: MYLEV 2
        *** HIGHEST POSSIBLE PACTOR LINK LEVEL: 2
        *** LINK LEVEL OF ACTUAL/LAST LINK: 0 (This PROVES the CONTROLLER)
        cmd: TXD 4 (has been reset)
        TX-DELAY: 4 (20 msec)
        cmd: CSD 5
        CS-DELAY: 5 (25 msec)
        cmd: MYcall N1OHX
        Mycall: >N1OHX<
        cmd: ARX 0
        *** AMTOR RECEPTION: 0
        cmd: L 1
        *** LISTEN-MODE: 1
        cmd: CWID 0
        *** CWID-PARAMETERS: 0 2 (AIRMAIL Just tried to disable CWID,)
        cmd: CONType 3
        *** PACTOR RX CONNECT TYPE: 3
        cmd: <callsign set: N1OHX>
        <connections enabled>
        MYcall N1OHX
        Mycall: >N1OHX<
        cmd: JHOST4
        <AirMail: host mode started>

        CWID is the same as the defaults I captured in hyperterminal. I
        HAVE, HOWVER,
        been able to do a 7 minute on the fly CWID and an end-of-transmission
        CWID with the following parameters set by FBB for that dreadful
        "WINLINK CLASSIC" operation.

        here it is:

        !CHOB 0
        !CW 1 (This ENABLES CWID)
        !CWSPEED 100 (This is NOT WPM)
        !FSKA 170
        !PSKA 200
        !CSDELAY 5
        !TXDELAY 4
        !MAXERR 40
        !MAXSUM 60
        !MAXDOWN 5
        !MAIL 0
        !mode 2
        !MAXTRY 4
        !MAXUP 3
        !MYCALL N1OHX
        !MYL 2
        !MYSELC NOHX
        !PD 0
        !PDT 12
        !LISTEN 0
        #!STATUS 1
        !MARK 1600
        !SPACE 1400
        !TR 0
        !TONES 2
        !UML 0

        These are the default parameters issued to new winlink "Classic"
        ops.
        Compare them to the parms issued by airmail. More on this later. I
        am in
        notepad.

        --------------

        > All you can do is provide the tools. The rest is up to the
        operators!

        > 73 and 75, Scott, K4SET, RadioMinistries
        >
        > ________________________________

        K4SET runs an MBO on 10.143.4. UPPER sideband. Remember
        those MARK/SPACE frequencies? ALso notice it is an
        pactor3 MBO. 2.4 KHZ wide. that puts white noise
        from 10.144 up to 10.146. conservatively. Skipnet,
        a packet radio operation, has been on 10.147 LOWER
        sideband for...oh god...Sorry I was a tadpole...

        This is a frequency reserved for AUTOMATIC controlled
        stations. It is in perpetual use. K4SET is unwelcome,
        is un-coordinated, and installed an MBO on this frequency
        without first inspecting the "Lay of the land". 10.147
        has been utter chaos since. Charles has screenshots.

        MBO operators also install these MBO on well known PSK watering
        holes. an example is ve2afq on 14.067.4. Since 14.070
        is in perpetual use by up to 10 individual streams
        (Conservatively) by up to 20 operators, when, and just WHEN
        is the frequency clear for this MBO?

        I need answers.

        On
        > Behalf Of Jeremy Allen
        > Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 8:17 PM
        > To: Q15X25@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [Q15X25] Digest Number 153
        >

        > Do you mean besides 10 minute CW IDs? Both of my
        > Boxes that use such protocols (Clover II and Pactor
        > II/III) offer these options already. They are not
        > often used, because the regs don't require the station
        > ID's to be transmitted in an "open protocol." Station
        > ID's are transmitted with each packet in all three of
        > these modes, and while not always able to be read by
        > listeners, the current requirement is fulfilled.
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Jeremy N1ZZZ

        The ID must be in the mode used. If it is an experimental
        or in-compatible mode it is to be in CW. This was an
        issue for packet op's at first. Some still use it. Operating
        in pactor 3, then switching to pactor 1 unproto is not the same mode.
        and pactor3 is clearly CLOSED AND EXPERIMENTAL. Add to that
        fbb scrambling, plus pseudo/markov encoding, and you have a
        pretty secure system.

        If someone could e-mail me and direct me to the appropriate
        forum I will GLADLY post capture files on fellows
        getting boat insurance quotes, and doctors reading and replying
        to medical reports sent from the office. And if it ever comes up,
        i will also post captures of ME sending my sister the word "BADASS"
        and sending a picture of a semi-nude (Parts covered) 300
        pound woman on an airplane procaliming that we are sending in "The
        big bomb".

        I again apologize for these off-topic ramblings, and hope I do
        not get moderated into the bit-bucket, but these MBO
        OP'S should not go around posting lies in ax.25 forums.
        especially when they are jamming FSK300 and Q15X25 literally
        off-the-air.

        What is the maximum frame size for Q15X25? also does
        Q15 get MORE efficient when you send larger blocks?

        best 73
        N1OHX@...
      • Tim Gorman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
          Steve,

          If you have actual recordings of on-the-air conversations of insurance quotes
          being passed and doctors conducting business I would like to have copies --
          especially if the offending amateurs can be identified.

          I would very much like to pass these on to Riley Hollingsworth as examples of
          illegal use of the amateur bands by Winlink 2000.

          tim ab0wr