Re: [Q15X25] Digest Number 153

  • Jeremy Allen
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2005
      > I'd like to see a mandatory requirement for all
      > digital
      > modes, including proprietary modes like Pactor III,
      > embed non-proprietary ID beacons in their protocols.
      >
      > That way anyone with commonly available gear and
      > software may know who is transmitting.
      >
      > Can this be done?

      Do you mean besides 10 minute CW IDs? Both of my
      Boxes that use such protocols (Clover II and Pactor
      II/III) offer these options already. They are not
      often used, because the regs don't require the station
      ID's to be transmitted in an "open protocol." Station
      ID's are transmitted with each packet in all three of
      these modes, and while not always able to be read by
      listeners, the current requirement is fulfilled.

      73

      Jeremy N1ZZZ
    • Scott Thile (K4SET)
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2005
        The SCS Pactor units have employed a Pactor FEC ID at the end of each
        connection or connection attempt since summer of 2003. It was immediately
        implemented with Airmail and Winlink 2000. At least two of the soundcard
        mode programs can monitor ID that (MixW and Digipan).

        As Jeremy stated, before that, we used a CW ID with Winlink 2000. Of course
        having these ID options does not fix the problem of some lid or another
        disabling them and than causing interference, which has been the case on
        some of the NON-Winlink related QRM that we (Winlink 2000 operators) have
        been very unfortunately blamed for.

        All you can do is provide the tools. The rest is up to the operators!

        73 and 75, Scott, K4SET, RadioMinistries

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2005
          --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Thile \(K4SET\)" <k4set@r...>
          wrote:

          > The SCS Pactor units have employed a Pactor FEC ID at the end of
          each
          > connection or connection attempt since summer of 2003. It was
          immediately
          > implemented with Airmail and Winlink 2000. At least two of the
          soundcard
          > mode programs can monitor ID that (MixW and Digipan).

          These PACTOR FEC ID's can only be monitored if they have not been
          disabled. - Which appears to be the case much more often than not,
          based upon behavior by WinLinkers observed onair.

          > As Jeremy stated, before that, we used a CW ID with Winlink 2000.
          Of course
          > having these ID options does not fix the problem of some lid or
          another
          > disabling them and than causing interference, which has been the
          case on
          > some of the NON-Winlink related QRM that we (Winlink 2000
          operators) have
          > been very unfortunately blamed for.

          Untrue. I have overheard more than one discussion among Winlinkers
          where they agreed it is best to turn off the ID function to avoid -
          being ID'ed of course.

          Either you have been lied to, or you are being somewhat disengenuous
          yourself.. If the shoe fits, wear it. In either cae, the information
          you have given here is incorrect.

          > All you can do is provide the tools. The rest is up to the
          operators!

          Considering the character displayed by Winlinkers I have talked with,
          been QRM'ed by, and have met, I would say that the ID function should
          not, repeat NOT be optional for any reason. - You simply cannot
          depend on these lidops to act in a responsible manner.

          Personally, I do not see any reason why it SHOULD be optional - at
          all.

          Now, can we return to discussion of Q15x25, please? There are several
          WinLink related discussion groups where the WL2K propaganda is
          endlessly parroted.

          I'd like to hear more about Q15x25.

          Charles, N5PVL
        • Scott Thile (K4SET)
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
            The ID tools are there, and they can and should be used. No one forces you
            to ID with your CW keyer, or your voice either for that matter.

            SCS, Airmail, and Winlink 2000 has taken every precaution it can to insure
            good operating practices. Repeated offenders are locked out of the system.
            The QRMers are not IDing are NOT Winlink 2000 operators. Some are using some
            old Winlink Classic stations (no longer supported by Winlink 2000) which are
            run a mock, with some intentionally interfering to stir the pot.
            Unfortunately we have no control over them.

            Some use Airmail and the SCS modems for HF commercial and HF marine SSB
            frequencies, and the ID features must remain optional in order for the units
            and software to have the flexibility to comply for all services for which
            they are legally used. The developers have worked closely with the FCC to
            insure legal compliance in all services.

            Some use CW to interfere, some use voice, some will use just about anything.
            Pactor is no different. If the operator does not ID, it's very tough to know
            who it is regardless of what mode they are using.

            Of course there is a bit of history with this topic on MANY other lists. If
            anyone would like to discuss this further I'll be happy to discuss it off
            list. Charles and I pretty much know where each other stand on this issue.

            Thanks, 73 and 75, Scott, K4SET, RadioMinistries

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
              From what I understand, there is some experimentation with reduced
              baudrate/bandwidth for Q15x25, specifically to 2300 baud, in order to
              make the mode usable with a wider variety of radios on HF.

              Does 2300 baud sound like a good compromise for this purpose? I'm
              curious as to how many PSK streams this would eliminate... One or two?

              I would take a look for myself, but I'm in the middle of a move and my
              HF equipment is boxed up in storage right now.

              Charles, N5PVL
              n5pvl@...
            • stevenstimpson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2 1:23 PM
                wrote:

                > The SCS Pactor units have employed a Pactor FEC ID at the end of
                each
                > connection or connection attempt since summer of 2003. It was
                immediately
                > implemented with Airmail and Winlink 2000. At least two of the
                soundcard
                > mode programs can monitor ID that (MixW and Digipan).
                >
                > As Jeremy stated, before that, we used a CW ID with Winlink 2000.
                Of course
                > having these ID options does not fix the problem of some lid or
                another
                > disabling them and than causing interference, which has been the
                case on
                > some of the NON-Winlink related QRM that we (Winlink 2000
                operators) have
                > been very unfortunately blamed for.

                O.K. Scott. Get ready to feel the pain of your LIES. (Or ignorance).

                ------------------------------

                cmd: Thiis is to let you know local echo is on.
                (N1OHX)
                *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP

                cmd: help reset
                RESE(t):
                causes a software reset. Box contents and
                system
                parameters will not be changed by
                RESEt.

                cmd: help restart
                REST(art):
                causes a software restart. CAUTION: RESTart
                may
                erase the complete mailbox contents. It sets
                the
                system parameters to default
                values.

                cmd: reset
                PTC-II System 68360/DSP-56303
                Version V.3.6 Level 3
                (C) 2005 SCS GmbH & Co. KG

                2097152 bytes SRAM detected
                256k words DSP-RAM detected

                BIOS: Version 1.90 detected

                FLASHCALL: *SCSPTC*

                *** STBY >>

                cmd: restart
                PTC-II System 68360/DSP-56303
                Version V.3.6 Level 3
                (C) 2005 SCS GmbH & Co. KG

                2097152 bytes SRAM detected
                256k words DSP-RAM detected

                BIOS: Version 1.90 detected

                FLASHCALL: *SCSPTC*

                *** STBY >>

                cmd: my n1ohx
                Mycall: >N1OHX<

                cmd: maxE 30
                *** TIMEOUT-PARAMETER: 30

                cmd: heklp
                *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP

                cmd: help cwid
                CW(id):
                First parameter:
                enables (1-5) or disables (0) CW-
                identification:
                0: CWID off
                1: Pactor (ARQ) CWID on
                2: Pactor (ARQ + Unproto) CWID on
                3: Amtor (ARQ) / Pactor (ARQ + Unproto) CWID
                on
                4, 5: like 2 and 3, CWID also after RX-
                QRT
                (Default: 1)

                Second parameter:
                0: normal CWID
                1: CWID at startup on ARQ Master
                calls
                2: audio-CWID only / without PTT-
                Keying
                3: functions 1 and 2 enabled.
                4-7: like 0-3 but on PACTOR slave connects CWID right
                after first own TX packet.
                (Default: 0)

                cmd: cwid
                *** CWID-PARAMETERS: 0 2

                cmd: c k4set
                *** NOW CALLING K4SET

                *** NO RESPONSE FROM K4SET / 19:16:38 / FRI, 02-JUN-06

                *** STBY >>

                cmd: parameters CWID were set to 0 2, yet no CWID was sent. Let's
                *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP

                cmd: look at what AIORMAIL sets as defaults.
                *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP

                cmd: sorry for the typo's, just wanna prove this hasn't been edited
                *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP

                cmd:

                -------------------------

                Let's take a journey into a FRESH copy of AIRMAIL.
                CALLSIGN, BAUDRATE, QTH and LOCATOR have been set.
                CWID has been SPECIFICALLY CHECKED, IT WAS NOT
                A DEFAULT AND IT WAS HIDDEN UNDER AN "ADVANCED"
                OPTIONS TAB!

                -------------------------

                2006/06/02 19:20:01 PTC-IIex modem initialized OK

                cmd:

                PTC-IIex - High Performance HF/VHF/UHF Communications Controller
                PACTOR - Level-III - High Speed Data Transfer Protocol
                >>> Professional / Marine Firmware V.3.6 <<<
                (C) 1994-2005 SCS GmbH & Co. KG - Germany

                BIOS: Version 1.90 detected

                Packet Radio Port: SCS - DSP MULTI MODEM detected

                cmd:
                < modem reset >

                PTC-II System 68360/DSP-56303
                Version V.3.6 Level 3
                (C) 2005 SCS GmbH & Co. KG

                2097152 bytes SRAM detected
                256k words DSP-RAM detected

                BIOS: Version 1.90 detected

                FLASHCALL: *SCSPTC*
                [17]
                *** STBY >>

                cmd: TERM 4
                cmd: SERB
                Baudrate setting: 57600 BD (auto)
                cmd: TRX RTS 0
                *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP
                cmd: AM
                AMTOR/PTC-II V.3.6 (C) 1994-2005 SCS GmbH & Co. KG
                **-A-** (SCSP):>TR 0
                *** T/R-REVERSE PARAMETER: 0
                **-A-** (SCSP):>PT
                *** PACTOR ACTIVE >>>
                [17]
                *** STBY >>
                cmd: QRTC 4
                QRT-CHARACTER = ASCII: 4
                cmd: ESC 27
                ESCAPE-CHARACTER = ASCII: 27
                cmd: PTCH 31
                *** PACTOR HOSTMODE CHANNEL: 31
                cmd: MAXE 35
                *** TIMEOUT-PARAMETER: 35
                cmd: LF 0
                *** LF IGNORE PARAMETER: 0
                cmd: CM 0
                *** CONNECT-MSG: 0
                cmd: REM 0
                *** REMOTE: 0
                cmd: BOX 0
                *** DIRECT BOX ACCESS: 0
                cmd: MAIL 0
                *** MAIL-ANNOUNCER-PARAMETER: 0
                cmd: CHOB 0
                *** CHANGEOVER-BELL-PARAMETER: 0
                cmd: UML 0
                GERMAN HUFFMAN UMLAUTS: 0
                cmd: TRX S 0 (These errors are due to the fact thatI do not)
                *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP (have auto-qsy circuitry, it is illegal on)
                cmd: TRX DU 0 (band to have the PTC auto-qsy and
                *** ERROR: PSE TYPE HELP (Auto-Call. These features are,
                cmd: U *1 (however, available in AirMail)
                *** UNPROTO-REPETITION-TIME: 1 (Pactor ID repetition has been SET,
                cmd: CHO 25 (Even though CWID was set in airmail)
                CHANGE-OVER-CHARACTER = ASCII: 25
                cmd: BK 24
                BREAK-IN-CHARACTER = ASCII: 24
                cmd: FSKA 171
                AFSK TX AUDIO OUTPUT LEVEL (PEAK-TO-PEAK, mV): 171
                cmd: PSKA 228
                PSK TX AUDIO PEAK LEVEL (PEAK-TO-PEAK, mV): 228
                cmd: TIME 19:20:00
                Time: 19:20:00
                cmd: DATE 02.06.06
                Date: FRI, 02-JUN-06
                cmd: ST 2
                *** STATUS-LEVEL: 2
                cmd: PAC PRB 0
                cmd: PAC CM 0
                cmd: PAC CB 0
                cmd: PAC M 0
                cmd: PAC US 10
                cmd: FAX MB
                Baudrate setting: 57600 BD
                cmd: FAX D 500
                *** FM-FAX DEVIATION: 500
                cmd: FAX FR 3
                *** FM-FAX RX-RESOLUTION: 3
                cmd: FR MO 0
                *** FREE SIGNAL MODE: 0 (NONE)
                cmd: SYS SERN
                Serial number: (I have deleted this for security)
                cmd: < Modem serial#: (This too)
                MY *SCSPTC*
                Mycall: >*SCSPTC*<
                cmd: LICENSE
                LICENSE: (Deleted for security)
                cmd: < Professional (Pactor-3) firmware ver: 3.6, P-3 license OK >
                <Airmail: PTC-II initialized OK first try>
                TONES 2
                *** AUDIO TONES: 2
                cmd: MARK 1600 (Pay CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THESE!)
                *** MARK FREQUENCY (HZ): 1600 (WinLink IS UPPER SIDEBAND!)
                cmd: SPACE 1400
                *** SPACE FREQUENCY (HZ): 1400
                cmd: MYLEV 2
                *** HIGHEST POSSIBLE PACTOR LINK LEVEL: 2
                *** LINK LEVEL OF ACTUAL/LAST LINK: 0 (This PROVES the CONTROLLER)
                cmd: TXD 4 (has been reset)
                TX-DELAY: 4 (20 msec)
                cmd: CSD 5
                CS-DELAY: 5 (25 msec)
                cmd: MYcall N1OHX
                Mycall: >N1OHX<
                cmd: ARX 0
                *** AMTOR RECEPTION: 0
                cmd: L 1
                *** LISTEN-MODE: 1
                cmd: CWID 0
                *** CWID-PARAMETERS: 0 2 (AIRMAIL Just tried to disable CWID,)
                cmd: CONType 3
                *** PACTOR RX CONNECT TYPE: 3
                cmd: <callsign set: N1OHX>
                <connections enabled>
                MYcall N1OHX
                Mycall: >N1OHX<
                cmd: JHOST4
                <AirMail: host mode started>

                CWID is the same as the defaults I captured in hyperterminal. I
                HAVE, HOWVER,
                been able to do a 7 minute on the fly CWID and an end-of-transmission
                CWID with the following parameters set by FBB for that dreadful
                "WINLINK CLASSIC" operation.

                here it is:

                !CHOB 0
                !CW 1 (This ENABLES CWID)
                !CWSPEED 100 (This is NOT WPM)
                !FSKA 170
                !PSKA 200
                !CSDELAY 5
                !TXDELAY 4
                !MAXERR 40
                !MAXSUM 60
                !MAXDOWN 5
                !MAIL 0
                !mode 2
                !MAXTRY 4
                !MAXUP 3
                !MYCALL N1OHX
                !MYL 2
                !MYSELC NOHX
                !PD 0
                !PDT 12
                !LISTEN 0
                #!STATUS 1
                !MARK 1600
                !SPACE 1400
                !TR 0
                !TONES 2
                !UML 0

                These are the default parameters issued to new winlink "Classic"
                ops.
                Compare them to the parms issued by airmail. More on this later. I
                am in
                notepad.

                --------------

                > All you can do is provide the tools. The rest is up to the
                operators!

                > 73 and 75, Scott, K4SET, RadioMinistries
                >
                > ________________________________

                K4SET runs an MBO on 10.143.4. UPPER sideband. Remember
                those MARK/SPACE frequencies? ALso notice it is an
                pactor3 MBO. 2.4 KHZ wide. that puts white noise
                from 10.144 up to 10.146. conservatively. Skipnet,
                a packet radio operation, has been on 10.147 LOWER
                sideband for...oh god...Sorry I was a tadpole...

                This is a frequency reserved for AUTOMATIC controlled
                stations. It is in perpetual use. K4SET is unwelcome,
                is un-coordinated, and installed an MBO on this frequency
                without first inspecting the "Lay of the land". 10.147
                has been utter chaos since. Charles has screenshots.

                MBO operators also install these MBO on well known PSK watering
                holes. an example is ve2afq on 14.067.4. Since 14.070
                is in perpetual use by up to 10 individual streams
                (Conservatively) by up to 20 operators, when, and just WHEN
                is the frequency clear for this MBO?

                I need answers.

                On
                > Behalf Of Jeremy Allen
                > Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 8:17 PM
                > To: Q15X25@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [Q15X25] Digest Number 153
                >

                > Do you mean besides 10 minute CW IDs? Both of my
                > Boxes that use such protocols (Clover II and Pactor
                > II/III) offer these options already. They are not
                > often used, because the regs don't require the station
                > ID's to be transmitted in an "open protocol." Station
                > ID's are transmitted with each packet in all three of
                > these modes, and while not always able to be read by
                > listeners, the current requirement is fulfilled.
                >
                > 73
                >
                > Jeremy N1ZZZ

                The ID must be in the mode used. If it is an experimental
                or in-compatible mode it is to be in CW. This was an
                issue for packet op's at first. Some still use it. Operating
                in pactor 3, then switching to pactor 1 unproto is not the same mode.
                and pactor3 is clearly CLOSED AND EXPERIMENTAL. Add to that
                fbb scrambling, plus pseudo/markov encoding, and you have a
                pretty secure system.

                If someone could e-mail me and direct me to the appropriate
                forum I will GLADLY post capture files on fellows
                getting boat insurance quotes, and doctors reading and replying
                to medical reports sent from the office. And if it ever comes up,
                i will also post captures of ME sending my sister the word "BADASS"
                and sending a picture of a semi-nude (Parts covered) 300
                pound woman on an airplane procaliming that we are sending in "The
                big bomb".

                I again apologize for these off-topic ramblings, and hope I do
                not get moderated into the bit-bucket, but these MBO
                OP'S should not go around posting lies in ax.25 forums.
                especially when they are jamming FSK300 and Q15X25 literally
                off-the-air.

                What is the maximum frame size for Q15X25? also does
                Q15 get MORE efficient when you send larger blocks?

                best 73
                N1OHX@...
              • Tim Gorman
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3 2:38 PM
                  Steve,

                  If you have actual recordings of on-the-air conversations of insurance quotes
                  being passed and doctors conducting business I would like to have copies --
                  especially if the offending amateurs can be identified.

                  I would very much like to pass these on to Riley Hollingsworth as examples of
                  illegal use of the amateur bands by Winlink 2000.

                  tim ab0wr