ID Beacon?

  • kd4e
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22 8:17 AM
      There is a new band use proposal before the FCC from the
      ARRL.

      I'd like to see a mandatory requirement for all digital
      modes, including proprietary modes like Pactor III, to
      embed non-proprietary ID beacons in their protocols.

      That way anyone with commonly available gear and
      software may know who is transmitting.

      Can this be done?
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27 7:39 AM
        --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, kd4e <kd4e@v...> wrote:

        > There is a new band use proposal before the FCC from the
        > ARRL.
        >
        > I'd like to see a mandatory requirement for all digital
        > modes, including proprietary modes like Pactor III, to
        > embed non-proprietary ID beacons in their protocols.
        >
        > That way anyone with commonly available gear and
        > software may know who is transmitting.
        >
        > Can this be done?

        I certainly can be done, but convincing the SCS corporation to do so
        would be a tall order.

        Charles, N5PVL
      • kd4e
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28 1:24 PM
          Charles Brabham wrote:
          > --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, kd4e <kd4e@v...> wrote:
          >> There is a new band use proposal before the FCC from the
          >> ARRL.
          >>
          >> I'd like to see a mandatory requirement for all digital
          >> modes, including proprietary modes like Pactor III, to
          >> embed non-proprietary ID beacons in their protocols.
          >>
          >> That way anyone with commonly available gear and
          >> software may know who is transmitting.
          >>
          >> Can this be done?
          >>

          > I certainly can be done, but convincing the SCS corporation to do so
          > would be a tall order.
          >
          > Charles, N5PVL

          Actually, an FCC order requiring them to cease and
          desist from sales and operation unless and until they
          make said modification should get it done in short
          order.

          Just need the FCC to say the word ...
        • Andre v Schayk
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29 6:14 AM
            --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, kd4e <kd4e@v...> wrote:

            > Actually, an FCC order requiring them to cease and
            > desist from sales and operation unless and until they
            > make said modification should get it done in short
            > order.
            >
            > Just need the FCC to say the word ...

            SCS sells from Germanie so FCC can not tell them to stop selling, all
            the FCC can do is forbit the import into the USA.

            73 de Andre PE1RDW
          • stevenstimpson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
              --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Brabham" <n5pvl@...> wrote:

              > --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, kd4e <kd4e@v...> wrote:
              > >
              > > There is a new band use proposal before the FCC from the
              > > ARRL.
              > >
              > > I'd like to see a mandatory requirement for all digital
              > > modes, including proprietary modes like Pactor III, to
              > > embed non-proprietary ID beacons in their protocols.
              > >
              > > That way anyone with commonly available gear and
              > > software may know who is transmitting.
              > >
              > > Can this be done?
              > >

              > I certainly can be done, but convincing the SCS corporation to do
              so
              > would be a tall order.
              >
              > Charles, N5PVL

              Hi Folks, Hi Charles. Sorry to drag this old post up, and I hope
              I read all the replies correctly, and did not jump in halfway
              through the thread, but here goes. (I am using the WEB-Interface).
              I also JUST joined the group.

              All SCS Controllers (Please don't call them modems, that is the term
              the IDI-Yachts use because they actually perceive it as such) Have,
              as default, a CWID set. It uses MYCALL and has a default of 20
              WPM. AIRMAIL, the Client program, which is sort of half-FBB bbs
              and half-outlook express, goes out of it's way to put the controller
              into pactor 1 UNPROTO mode when it sends the callsign at the end
              of the transmission. It also does not ID every odd number of
              minutes, it only id's at the end. If left alone, the controller
              will emit a 20 WPM CW id every 7 minutes, allowing the remote
              station to retry until it is done sending it's CWID. It will then
              wait for the next sync ACK to continue on.

              This modified behavior, along with the fact that FBB compression
              is used despite the fact that pseudo-markov compression is ALREADY
              built into the controller, along with the fact that the outdated
              pactor2 protocol has not been released for general consumption
              even for the purposes of SWL'ing (SCS themselves said that
              hams should not be monitoring other hams e-mail) leaves a lot
              of questions to be answered.

              And before it comes up and and affects my credibility on this
              topic, YES, I am a winlinker. on eighty meters. early in
              the morning. at 500hz pactor2, and on 14.105.2 USB pactor3,
              which is THE flagship station of winlink.

              This is the Q15X25 group, and I have gone off on a tangient
              about winlink, and I apologize, but there were a few posts which I
              felt would be better read with some additional info.

              On topic, has anyone else had the problem of extremely low
              AVERAGE output power with Q15? I can not seem to nudge
              more than 5 watts out of my poor jupiter, even with the ALC
              lit. I would like to experiment with Q15 in UNPROTO mode
              using RADIOMIRROR.

              Best 73 folks,
              Steven N1OHX

              P.S. My controller always sends a clear CWID at the end of every
              winlink session. (Classic) I also noticed a few posts that had a
              subject
              of "Q15x25 digest blah blah blah" And saw that this thread
              had continued there. I also noticed a few MBO operators there,
              saying some outrageous things. Again I apologize, and now that I
              see there are MBO operators here on the list keeping tabs on the
              AX.25 crowd I wonder how my winlink experience from this point on
              will be?

              steven2@...
              n1ohx@...