Re: [Q15X25] HF TCP/IP

  • Tomi Manninen
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2005
      On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 21:26, Bill WA7NWP wrote:

      > > Considering the overhead of TCP/IP, even at the
      > > highest HF bit rates, it would seem to be a painfully
      > > slow activity on HF, and not much better on many VHF
      > > bands.

      > Agreed completely on HF. I've done it and simply getting a PING through
      > was about the extent of success.

      What I have done a couple of times at "remote" locations is
      reading email by starting a terminal session with ssh
      (compression/authorization only) over tcp/ip over ax25
      over q15x25 on 80m over some 300...1000km paths. Email
      reading and in a couple occations writing was done textmode
      with pine. I wouldn't exactly call it enjoyable but certainly
      doable.

      --
      Tomi Manninen / OH2BNS / KP20JF74
    • Rick Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2005
        Tomi,

        As an expert on Q15X25, could you explain why it is does not seem to be
        replacing conventional HF packet?

        What is the drawback other than the very wide bandwidth?

        Thanks for your help on this.

        73,

        Rick, KV9U