Re: Busy Frequency Check?

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2005
      --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, kd4e <kd4e@v...> wrote:

      > > wb8wka wrote:
      > > In the U.S., yes
      > > http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/03/03/100/
      >
      > Thanks for this!
      >
      > I have forwarded this to interested Hams with a
      > recommendation that they systematically document
      > the offenses and assured them that Riley will
      > see to it that his warning is heeded or else serious
      > consequences come to those who ignore him.
      >
      > Help Riley help Ham radio ... again.

      I generally watch for lid-like operating behavior with programs like
      MixW or DigiPan that have a waterfall display.

      The waterfall's time-line shows the original QSO - and the offending
      station coming in on top of that QSO graphically.

      By using ( Alt - Print_Screen ) which puts the current window into
      the clipboard ( Windows ) I can catch bad guys at it, and paste the
      image into a graphic program, where I crop out the unecessary part,
      leaving the waterfall display and the program's status line at the
      bottom, which displays the time, mode, etc..

      By doing this, I documented dozens of cases of interference
      perpetrated by PACTOR bots on 20 and 30 meters. - In fact, I stopped
      recording the incidents after a while as there was no sport to it...
      I could tune in on those bands at any time there was activity and
      find a PACTOR bot crashing somebody's QSO after a very short wait.
      Way too easy!

      Here is a typical incident: http://www.uspacket.org/pqrm.htm

      I would give a ratio of PACTOR related interference in comparasin to
      interference from other modes/protocols - but during the course of
      all this monitoring and recording, I did not see anybody's QSO being
      crashed by Packet, PSK31, MFSK or MT-63. Lots of PACTOR 'activity' to
      record, but not much of anything else. Obviously interference from
      these other modes does exist - but it is just as obvious that
      interference from PACTOR stations happens much, much more often than
      with the rest of these modes put together.

      Charles, N5PVL