Re: [Q15X25] HF APRS and Q15X25 ?

  • kd4e
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2005
      > Since it is a one to one link, there are no
      > collissions, perhaps, maybe, ocassional QRM from
      > others who consider to own certain frequencies. The
      > transfer protocol is more elaborate and better
      > (compression, interleaving, convolutional encoding,
      > Viterbi decoding, etc).

      If I recall Pactor II may be monitored without the
      costly proprietary SCS hardware and software, so it
      may be a more acceptable app in Ham use -- at least
      one may determine who the QRMing offender is and
      report them -- one may also determine is the op is
      sending Ham-legal communications or something else.

      QRMing is rarely against folks camoing out on a
      freq 24/7 but most often the result of someone
      engaged in a QSO where another op is too careless
      or selfish to bother to check for activity and
      who jumps on top of them.

      There is no lack of space on the bands, except perhaps
      during the all-too-frequent contests, so there is no
      excuse for QRMing -- especially witha digital signal
      that cannot be decoded by 99% of Hams and may be
      readily abused for non-Ham legal or nefarious purposes

      > I have been following Q15X25 as it may have better
      > characteristics, those of modern HF data
      > communications systems.

      That is why we are all on this list.

      > Certainly, 300 baud FSK is far from optimal.

      For sure -- but that may also be a regulatory quirk
      choking-off new technologies that needs to be addressed.

      > Q15X25 and similar modulation methods may allow to
      > have more people to communicate with on HF. With
      > recent developments, there seems to be hope for may of
      > us.

      Agreed.

      > 73 de Jose, CO2JA
    • Jose Amador
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 1, 2005
        --- Charles Brabham <n5pvl@...> wrote:

        > --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, Jose Amador
        > <co2ja@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Something I did not mention on my other reply. I
        > had
        > > to run 600 watts to "achieve" some 100 kb of
        > > compressed fwd per day.
        > >
        > > With pactor, 25 to 100 watts were able to move
        > ten
        > > times more traffic. I had a link with Africa for
        > > forwarding to Europe which worked many times with
        > as
        > > little as 25 watts with better thruput than 300
        > baud
        > > packet with 600 watts in much shorter links.
        > >
        > > Jose, CO2JA
        >
        > Personally, I have never heard of a Packet BBS SYSOP
        > before who ran
        > more than 50-70 watts power. If you were running 600
        > watts, that may
        > have been part of your problem with Packet.

        > Were the stations you connected to all running 600
        > watts too? - Or
        > were they running 50-70 watts, as all the SYSOPs I
        > know have found to
        > be work out best? ( I know a lot of SYSOPs, by the
        > way. )

        It might fit in your frame if we used, as you do, a
        BBS only frequency. We did not, anyone could connect
        freely.

        Perhaps that´s part of my problem with packet, I hate
        losing time with bad links and retries. I was able to
        do it, those were my finals and my power bill, at the
        service of my users. And it never caused problems to
        anyone. I do not operate a HF packet forwarding link
        since 1998. With pactor, or whatever replaces 300 baud
        FSK modems, it is not necessary to run high power to
        run a reliable link.

        > Your story doesn't make a lot of sense... I have
        > operated both modes
        > and though PACTOR does give better throughput, it
        > does not do so for
        > all of the BBS software currently in use.

        So, what makes sense is to use the BEST BBS software.

        I understand it does not make sense to you, but not
        all BBS programmers (and I do not mean to offend any
        of them) are equally gifted. Only the best software
        did survive.

        > PACTOR is also prohibitively expensive, and has
        > virtually no signal
        > detection capability, very often making PACTOR
        > operators into
        > unwilling ( and unwitting ) lids. Lots of BBS SYSOPs
        > won't go for
        > being party to that.

        I do not want to impose that on anyone. Have I meant
        that? Never.

        > Add the greatly expanded bandwidth of the higher
        > performing PACTOR
        > modes, and you have a nice QRM generation system
        > there, second to
        > none when it comes to crashing people's QSO's.

        Pactor 2 fits into my CW filter.

        > Then there is the difficulty in trying to operate
        > multiple PACTOR
        > QSO's on a single frequency. Packet handles this
        > just fine, PACTOR
        > does not.

        Pactor is not meant to do that. If you operated it,
        and read the manual, you know that it does not make
        sense to make that comparison.

        > Most SYSOPs utilize Packet because nothing better
        > has come along to
        > replace it. - You are welcome to consider PACTOR as
        > a 'better'
        > replacemnent for Packet if you wish, but understand
        > that by doing so,
        > you place yourself with a tiny minority among BBS
        > SYSOPs, for the
        > reasons outlined above.

        I do not do Internet forwarding. And you might know
        that time in HF forwarding counts, when the bands are
        not open 24/24 like a wire or VHF/UHF.

        > That's just how it is, agree with it or not as you
        > wish. Whatever
        > PACTOR is, it is not a "replacement" for Packet. -
        > Good or bad.
        >
        > Charles, N5PVL

        I respect your point of view, you are entitled to it.

        But I also feel I have the right to disagree. As I
        disagree to go into a name calling fight that solves
        nothing.

        And period. End of the thread, at least for me, it is
        not relevant to Q15X25.

        Jose
      • Mark Miller
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 4, 2005
          At 07:43 AM 10/1/2005, you wrote:
          >If I recall Pactor II may be monitored without the
          >costly proprietary SCS hardware and software, so it
          >may be a more acceptable app in Ham use --

          Do you recall how this is done? I have only seen monitoring software for
          PACTOR I and am interested in monitoring PACTOR II.

          73,

          Mark N5RFX
        • wb8wka
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 7, 2005
            APRS is not tied to AX.25. Most of the display programs as well as
            internet servers let you input data in a text format. The APRS spec is
            here: http://www.tapr.org/aprs_working_group.html

            Being most APRS position reports are from 13 to 40 bytes long (native
            APRS format) you don't need the speed of Q15X25. Also, most APRS
            transmissions in the wild are UI frames, or unacknowledged information
            frames. Meaning, they don't use the connected mode (or ARQ) function
            of ax.25.

            If your looking to optimize HF APRS from the present AX.25 UI frame
            300 baud means, you'd be better off looking at a mode that offers
            heavy FEC and good low signal performance. MT63, MFSK16 or perhaps
            Olivia come to mind. All offer good low signal performance and heavy
            FEC.

            300 baud on HF, as a signaling rate, is less then optimal due to group
            delay caused by different paths through the ionosphere. That is the
            reason Q15X25 reduced the baud rate to 83.5 (on each carrier) to
            reduce this effect.

            Good luck.

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 8, 2005
              > > Were the stations you connected to all running 600
              > > watts too? - Or
              > > were they running 50-70 watts, as all the SYSOPs I
              > > know have found to
              > > be work out best? ( I know a lot of SYSOPs, by the
              > > way. )
              >
              > It might fit in your frame if we used, as you do, a
              > BBS only frequency. We did not, anyone could connect
              > freely.

              If you are not operating within the automated sub-bands, then you are
              most definately QRM'ing other hams with your PACTOR signals.

              The one and only place where you can operate PACTOR ( or Packet ) for
              BBS operation without regularly crashing people's QSO's are the
              automated sub-bands.

              That's why they exist.

              Packet BBS operation as a 'loner' who does not play by the rules
              other SYSOPs operate by is a pointless endeavor. Competent
              autoforwarding's first requirement is an ability to play well with
              others, in a cooperative way and friendly way.

              > With pactor, or whatever replaces 300 baud
              > FSK modems, it is not necessary to run high power to
              > run a reliable link.

              You are the one and only amateur who has ever suggested to me that
              Packet is unreliable except when using high power.

              From my location at the southern tip of Texas, I forward regularly
              with stations in Canada, California, Indiana, Florida and ( Here's an
              easy one ) Missouri. - All with 50 watts on HF Packet.

              > > Your story doesn't make a lot of sense... I have
              > > operated both modes
              > > and though PACTOR does give better throughput, it
              > > does not do so for
              > > all of the BBS software currently in use.
              >
              > So, what makes sense is to use the BEST BBS software.

              http://www.uspacket.org/l_protowars.htm

              What makes sense is to work with protocols/modes that are usable by
              all BBS software, including the new BBS software that is coming up.

              > > Then there is the difficulty in trying to operate
              > > multiple PACTOR
              > > QSO's on a single frequency. Packet handles this
              > > just fine, PACTOR
              > > does not.
              >
              > Pactor is not meant to do that. If you operated it,
              > and read the manual, you know that it does not make
              > sense to make that comparison.

              Looks like you are picking and choosing what is or is not 'relevant'
              according to how well it matches up with your personal views.

              As manager of an ARRL Skipnet, I can assure you that the ability to
              operate half a dozen or more stations on one frequency is highly
              relevant, unless and until somebody comes along and finds a way to
              greatly expand the autoforwarding sub-bands.

              If we can only have two stations per frequency, and those stations
              must be five or six times wider, that means that the network can only
              have a few participating stations, and so it would have very little
              coverage or capability, worldwide.

              We are trying to get more BBS stations to participate, not to shut
              them out by using inappropriate modes/protocols that do not 'play
              well with others' and so reduce our capability in this area.

              It should never be forgotten that participation in a network is a
              cooperative venture. Your value to that network in large part hinges
              upon your ability to work cooperatively with many other hams around
              the world.

              > I respect your point of view, you are entitled to it.
              >
              > But I also feel I have the right to disagree. As I
              > disagree to go into a name calling fight that solves
              > nothing.
              >
              > And period. End of the thread, at least for me, it is
              > not relevant to Q15X25.

              Right now I am manager of the NET117 ARRL SkipNet, experimenting with
              utilizing Q15x25 mode for autoforwarding. In my case at any rate,
              these questions and discussions are highly relevant to what I do.

              I have to think about stuff like bandwidth, signal strength, the
              ability to share a frequency, bitrate, compatability with all ( not
              just my personal favorite ) BBS software and ease of operation, along
              with a number of other factors.

              Personally I would like to see Q15x25 mode go into regular use for
              autoforwarding - but it is not my job to promote Q15x25. What I am
              doing is evaluating the mode instead, doing my best to give it a fair
              chance to show it's stuff. - Both good and bad.

              I'm beginning to wonder if 17 meters is the best place to do this
              evaluation, but that's the spot the ARRL folks gave me so that's what
              I have to work with right now. - I sure wish 15 meters was open more
              often!

              Charles, N5PVL