Kantronics, Kam XL

  • Ken Page
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 28, 2005
      G'day!

      Q15X25 looks very good!. Would the Kam XL be capable of running this mode
      (Hardware wise)?

      If so could I suggest that if enough people contact them they may update
      their firmware to include it?

      The Kam XL is an excellent stand alone gateway device, perfect for bridging
      HF<>VHF etc. It would be great to see it get past what I feel is it's
      biggest limitation 300Baud only HF packet. I believe the unit should at the
      very least support 1200 baud PSK HF packet as well.

      Also...

      I'm really interested in setting up a 4 port frequency agile HF/VHF Gateway.

      So far I've tried various frequencies (Zero connects) :( and also emailed
      and packet msg'd many people with little to no response.

      I have the following equipment to set up.
      2x Kam XL's, FT-890AT's, FT-212RH's.
      Lantronics LRS32F 32 port Serial Server.
      P2-333 PC, Wlan gear, etc, etc.

      Any help appreciated!

      Regards,

      Ken Page. [VK4AKP]
      P.O.Box 3061, West Ipswich 4305. Australia.
      Email: vk4akp@...
      Email2: vk4akp@...

      Instant Message Services
      ICQ# 57282091
      MSN# vk4akp@...
      Yahoo Messenger# VK4AKP
      AOL# 136334164

      PH: 07-3281-9418 (Optus) Answering machine 24/7.
      MOB: 0411-260-740 (Optus) Weekends & WeekNights.

      Packet: vk4akp@vk4wip
      Email->Packet Gateway: vk4akp@...
      WIA Examiner # AE 879.
      UHF CB Base Selcall#: 13493, Mobile Selcall# 12476, Scanning Channels
      1-8&10.
      Monitoring VX 146.725 -Neg, VK4RKP (Mt Crosby). EchoLink Node# 7878
      VK4RKP ATV 444.25Mhz, (Below SBS on your TV tuner).
      .-.-.
    • Jose Amador
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 29, 2005
        The KAM would not be able....The older KAMs I know
        have only FSK modems, that is, one carrier, and one
        frequency or another. Q15X25 and many other modes are
        called soundcardmodes because they require multiple
        carriers carrying the data. A soundcard, or a DSP box
        is required for those modes.

        73 de Jose, CO2JA

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3 9:55 AM
          The Kam XL is a DSP TNC. The Tech at Kantronics tells me that it
          would be possible! The next step is to try and get the author to
          contact Kantronics and give permission for it's use.

          They also query wether the mode is too wide to be allowd in the US?

          Please everyone, help to make this happen!

          THis would mean many HF Gateways using the Kam XL's (Very popular)
          would become available. Q15X25 would become most popular and common
          place on HF!

          Regards,
          Ken.
          .-.-.

        • Paul David Gregg, KD4IDR
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3 4:22 PM
            --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <vk4akp@y...> wrote:
            > The Kam XL is a DSP TNC. The Tech at Kantronics tells me that it
            > would be possible! The next step is to try and get the author to
            > contact Kantronics and give permission for it's use.
            >
            > They also query wether the mode is too wide to be allowd in the US?
            >
            > Please everyone, help to make this happen!
            >
            > THis would mean many HF Gateways using the Kam XL's (Very popular)
            > would become available. Q15X25 would become most popular and common
            > place on HF!
            >
            > Regards,
            > Ken.
            > .-.-.

            Hey Ken,

            You may want to cc this to the Kantronics board as well.

            paul
          • Scott Thile (K4SET)
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3 6:48 PM
              Hello all,

              This mode never really worked all that well, and from what I can tell has
              more of less died. We only see occasional posts here. Maybe one of two a
              month asking what's up....

              Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I doubt it will be worth developing on the
              XL as it is simply not viable in its current state of development on any
              platform.

              Great idea, just didn't pan out and as far as I know, the developers in it
              have lost interest. I think there is potential, but that is all there is at
              this point.

              73 and 75, Scott, K4SET

            • Tomi Manninen
              Message 6 of 15 , May 27 1:01 PM
                On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 04:48, Scott Thile (K4SET) wrote:

                > Great idea, just didn't pan out and as far as I know, the developers in it
                > have lost interest. I think there is potential, but that is all there is at
                > this point.

                This comment reminded me of an old issue with my Q15X25 code that is
                used in MixW, so I recently asked Denis to update the code with a
                small fix. This fix disables corrections to the symbol sync during
                data phase, which I think might have been doing more harm than good...

                So it would be really nice if people who have tried this mode with
                MixW before would try it again with the updated DLL and let me know
                if there is any difference. The updated DLL is in the donwloads section
                of the MixW site (http://mixw.net/files/q15x25dll6.zip).

                Also, while I'm at it, I would like to point out that Q15X25 was
                designed to be a fairly fast mode requiring good SNR. My
                implementation of the modem has a "bps" control that actually changes
                the internal sample rate and scales the whole modem with it. While
                you can (and probably should) experiment with the "bps" control,
                the modem really was designed to work with fairly high rates. Pawel's
                original modem only supported 2500bps or 3000bps. My experiments
                have always been with bps=2500, fec=3, interleave=8. With these, I've
                had pretty good success. I guess what I'm trying to say is that
                trying to use the modem with slow "bps" is probably not going to
                work very well. There are better modems for that.

                --
                Tomi Manninen / OH2BNS / KP20JF74
              • Ken
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 7, 2005
                  Tomi,

                  Can you please supply the basic spec's for this mode? The guy at
                  Kantronics is ready to go with trying to implement this mode in the
                  Kam XL, but I have been unable to find on the net, or via emailing
                  people the basic specs for Q15x25. It would be a terrible shame to
                  miss this opportunity!

                  73 de Ken.
                  vk4akp@...
                  .-.-.

                  From the Kantronics email.

                  ---
                  I can probably get my boss to agree to publish the modules from the
                  KAMxl
                  pertaining specifically to the Q15X25 and MT63. But rather than just
                  work
                  from other people's code, I would also like to be able to work from a
                  real
                  specification which would not be based on someone's code. For
                  example, what
                  are the filter characteristics, how does the FEC work, how do the
                  bits get
                  parsed to the different frequencies, etc. In time, I can probably
                  figure
                  this stuff out from the published code, but I don't have a lot of
                  time to
                  devote to this. We did the PSK31 based only on the spec, not on
                  someone
                  elses code. The firmware in the KAMxl is all HC12 and ADSP21xx
                  assembly
                  language, and the ADSP2185 is running two modems (HF/VHF)
                  simultaneously.

                  Mike
                  ---

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 8, 2006
                    Hi guys, sorry it's been a while since I checked this group.

                    Here's a bit of an update.

                    From what I have heard the mode works fine. The only reason it doesn't
                    have better support (YET) is that there are no simple hardware
                    platforms available for it. This is why I was hoping to see Kantronics
                    include the mode in their Kam XL. After all the XL bosts DSP
                    technology and is the only TNC I know of currently on the market
                    suitable.

                    It is disapointing to say the least that years later nothing has been
                    done to offer more modern DSP modes in this TNC, after all it is it's
                    main claim to fame. Flash upgradable with the latest modes etc etc.

                    Currently I receive no replies from Kantronics when emailing them
                    about this. It has been over a year now since they first started
                    development on the mode for their TNC.

                    My current info from the grape vine is that they don't have a lot of
                    interest in supporting the Amateur market for their product as money
                    is more forthcomming from the commercial sector.

                    This in it's self is very sad and bad news for us.

                    So what does the future hold?

                    I myself am currently looking at using USB sound card dongles chained
                    off a dedicated PC. Power usage is of course going to be horrific and
                    exactly the path I didn't want to go down as it will exclude such
                    setups on hilltops etc where power is usually provided by solar
                    panels. But what can you do. A TNC solution at present is going no where.

                    Long term, there is no reason why a developers group couldn't look at
                    a alternative open source image for the Kam XL. While Kantronics do
                    not seem interested in making their code open source. I can't see any
                    reason why if a group started from scratch on their own version an
                    alternative could be developed that supports not only Q15X25 packet
                    but all the other packet modes and speeds currently so sadly missing
                    from the XL. This sort of thing has been done for everything from the
                    TinyTrack to DVD recorders. Where the original designers have let the
                    consumer down, people have picked up the torch and turned a great yet
                    lacking device into a killer product by getting together with other
                    like minded users and writing their own firmware.

                    So if anyone is interested in this and has programming ability. Please
                    contact me vk4akp@... and perhaps we can start a developers
                    group to do just this.

                    In the mean time all my Kam XL's will go back into moth balls and I
                    guess I will start to go down the USB sound card trail.

                    Keep in mind that until a newer mode is invented, other then 1200 baud
                    PSK, Q15X25 is currently the only other option available to anyone
                    wanting to run packet on HF at a higher baudrate then the traditional
                    300 Baud. I have also heard of people running G3RUH at 4800 baud on
                    21Mhz. But once again, I don't know of any current TNC technology
                    available to do this.

                    As I've pointed out to Kantronics, what they really need is for the
                    packet mode to be an independant setting to the baud rate. That way
                    the device is far more flexable for things like HF and Satelite work.
                    Once again, I won't hold my breath.

                    Anyhow, I'd be interested to hear who's QRV in this mode and on what
                    frequencies etc currently.

                    Regards,
                    Ken - VK4AKP
                    .-.-.

                    --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Thile \(K4SET\)" <k4set@...> wrote:

                    > Hello all,
                    >
                    > This mode never really worked all that well, and from what I can
                    tell has
                    > more of less died. We only see occasional posts here. Maybe one of two a
                    > month asking what's up....
                    >
                    > Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I doubt it will be worth developing
                    on the
                    > XL as it is simply not viable in its current state of development on any
                    > platform.
                    >
                    > Great idea, just didn't pan out and as far as I know, the developers
                    in it
                    > have lost interest. I think there is potential, but that is all
                    there is at
                    > this point.
                    >
                    > 73 and 75, Scott, K4SET

                  • Paul David Gregg, KD4IDR
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 12, 2006
                      --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <vk4akp@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Ken - VK4AKP
                      > .-.-.
                      >
                      > --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Thile \(K4SET\)" <k4set@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello all,
                      > >
                      > > This mode never really worked all that well, and from what I can
                      > tell has
                      > > more of less died. We only see occasional posts here. Maybe one of
                      two a
                      > > month asking what's up....
                      > >
                      > > Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I doubt it will be worth developing
                      > on the
                      > > XL as it is simply not viable in its current state of development
                      on any
                      > > platform.
                      > >
                      > > Great idea, just didn't pan out and as far as I know, the developers
                      > in it
                      > > have lost interest. I think there is potential, but that is all

                      Ken,

                      You should post this to the kantronics group. We have kantronics tech
                      support in there now. Maybe you can get them to help.

                      paul
                    • kd4e
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 12, 2006
                        > Jose A. Amador wrote:
                        > Could I suggest that PAX/PAX2 be considered as candidate
                        > modems formats?

                        There is no point to either -- they are costly proprietary
                        formats -- contrary to good sense and Ham tradition.

                        Many manufacturers have tried the proprietary mode
                        idea and all have failed. Kantronics among them,
                        more recently joined by Alinco, Kenwood, and Icom's
                        competing VHF/UHF digital and linking schemes.

                        Ham radio needs a non-proprietary foundation same
                        as in the Internet realm, e.g. IEEE 802.11 and others.

                        We need a robust format that is 100% non-proprietary:

                        1. All of the code is published and anyone is
                        allowed to base apps on it.

                        2. No exclusive source hardware requirement.

                        3. Cross-OS platform compatible -- Apple, Linux, and MS.

                        Only then will we have something likely to earn the
                        support of the majority of digital mode Ham ops and
                        only then can we move into the digital mode future
                        working together vs divided and making inefficient
                        use of fragmented development resources.

                        --

                        Thanks! & 73,
                        doc, KD4E
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 12, 2006
                          Could I suggest that PAX/PAX2 be considered as candidate modems formats?

                          Those are very robust modem formats, far better than the traditional
                          Bell 103 modems
                          for HF, and might prove to be better than Q15X25 in poor conditions,
                          specially on the
                          lower bands. Q15X25 is faster, but requires a clean, stable channel, or
                          it won't work.

                          While PAX is rather slow, in comparison, it really fights to get the
                          data thru when others
                          fail and desist. It is better to have a slow working link than none at
                          all. PAX requires
                          about the same bandwidth as a Bell 103 modem. PAX2 is wider.

                          Jose, CO2JA

                          Paul David Gregg, KD4IDR wrote:

> [...]
                          >>
                          >>Regards,
                          >>Ken - VK4AKP
                          >>.-.-.
                          >>
                          >>--- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Thile \(K4SET\)" <k4set@> wrote:
                          >>

                          >>>Hello all,
                          >>>
                          >>>This mode never really worked all that well, and from what I can
                          >>>

                          >>tell has
                          >>

                          >>>more of less died. We only see occasional posts here. Maybe one of
                          >>>

                          >two a
                          >

                          >>>month asking what's up....
                          >>>
                          >>>Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I doubt it will be worth developing
                          >>>

                          >>on the
                          >>

                          >>>XL as it is simply not viable in its current state of development
                          >>>

                          >on any
                          >

                          >>>platform.
                          >>>
                          >>>Great idea, just didn't pan out and as far as I know, the developers
                          >>>

                          >>in it
                          >>

                          >>>have lost interest. I think there is potential, but that is all

                          XIII Convención Científica de Ingeniería y Arquitectura
                          28/noviembre al 1/diciembre de 2006
                          Cujae, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
                          http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/convencion
                        • Ken
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 12, 2006
                            Hi Paul,

                            I have spoken to the tech guy direct on a number of occasions. Didn't
                            help I'm afraid.

                            Regards,
                            Ken
                            .-.-.

                            > Ken,
                            >
                            > You should post this to the kantronics group. We have kantronics tech
                            > support in there now. Maybe you can get them to help.

                            > paul

                          • Ken
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
                              Well some bad news today after so long a effort of trying to get this
                              damn mode into current technology like the Kam XL.

                              A response from Tomi to my request to have the mode properly
                              documented so developers like Kantronics could include it in their TNC
                              range.

                              ---
                              > Do you have a more up to date Q15X25 technical description available
                              please? (Last release received 2005-07-20).

                              Sorry to say but no. I have mosty forgotten the whole modem as
                              I haven't used it and I don't think anyone else does either...
                              At least I haven't heard from anyone.

                              Unless I get a sudden inspiration to document stuff, I probably
                              won't update it any more.
                              ---

                              So it seems we are at a dead end again. :( Most disapointing. I have
                              been chasing this since 2005! :(

                              OK So whats next? We still need a newer faster mode for HF that is
                              ax25 / packet compatable for our existing networks.

                              Any idea's? The big issue I see is having something that we can get
                              the TNC manufacturers to include. A mode that is within the capability
                              of some of the latest hardware like the Kam XL's etc.

                              My only other idea is to abandon triditional TNC technology and go
                              down the path of using Embedded PC boards with USB sound card dongles
                              and linux. While this would offer more mode flexability and access to
                              a better supported software base it's main limitations are these
                              devices are generally power hungry which is bad news for field apps
                              like solar sites and digi's etc.

                              Any idea's anyone?

                              ~Ken - VK4AKP
                              .-.-.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 9, 2007
                                --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <vk4akp@...> wrote:

                                > OK So whats next? We still need a newer faster mode for HF that is
                                > ax25 / packet compatable for our existing networks.

                                Q15x25 has demonstrated that AX25 need not be packet. - In fact there
                                are several digital modes that could be operated over AX25 just as
                                Tomi has done with multiple PSK streams.

                                The primary holdup is that most of the programmers who are capable of
                                this kind of work have been taught to look down on the concept of an
                                independent amateur radio network in the first place. They have
                                specifically been encouraged to look down on AX25, despite the
                                obvious irony that not a single one of them can point to anything
                                else that does the same thing better.

                                Fortunately this is true in the great majority of cases, but not all
                                of them.

                                There is a newer, slower mode that strangely enough has great
                                potential to speed things up on HF. Have you looked at HF multicast?
                                HF multicast SYSOPs are currently needed, if you find that you are
                                interested in providing this service and would like to participate.

                                There is a special section on HF Multicast at USPacket. Skim over the
                                articles there, if you get a chance.

                                http://www.uspacket.org

                                Charles, N5PVL
                              • Jose A. Amador
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 9, 2007
                                  The efforts I am seeing might indicate that we are attempting to bite a
                                  bit too large....

                                  On one side, the reports that Q15X25 works better at 2300 baud, and that
                                  the 100 baud packet mode incorporated into MultiPSK works when 300 baud
                                  does not looks like a hint to go at lower speeds and bandwidths, and at
                                  least match the expected thruput of 300 baud packet, reliably. It is a
                                  pity that only some AEA TNC's could go below 300 baud, and that it did
                                  not become popular. Greed or carelessness? Cannot tell, but the results
                                  are there for all to see.

                                  I have been a witness that Pactor II and III are better alternatives
                                  than 300 (and HF 1200 baud) packet, with some 10 times the thruput.

                                  SCS has achieved to better protect the data in transit, starting with
                                  their old "memory ARQ", and using adaptative techniques, like switching
                                  in more complex constellations (Pactor II with 2 carriers) or more
                                  carriers with no more complex constellations than DQPSK, starting with
                                  as few as 2 carriers, and going up to as many as 16, depending on the
                                  channel quality. It is complex and has a price, but works quite well.

                                  Should a faithful copy be made? Guess not, including the avoidance of
                                  patent infringements, but there are salient points in display for all to
                                  see. Adaptativity and data protection seem to be the key.

                                  The behavior with Q15X25 seem to follow this pattern, using slower
                                  speeds if it is more reliable, and avoiding the filters passband edges.

                                  In a multicarrier environment, it is wise to confine them in the
                                  flattest propagation delay portion of the passband. The edges do not
                                  have this desirable property.

                                  It is important to go as fast as POSSIBLE to catch band openings and
                                  move traffic, but with an eye in EFFICIENCY, neither that fast that the
                                  water spills out of the bucket, neither that slow that it takes an
                                  eternity to fill it up. With 300 baud packet, most of the water was
                                  spilled outside (endless retries....remember?)....

                                  It is better (for moving BBS traffic) to have one drop falling INTO the
                                  bucket for a day than a large hose with large pressure bouncing the
                                  water on the bottom of the bucket spilling it all over the place for a
                                  short while (wasting bandwidth). The good choice seems to be an average
                                  of those extreme conditions. Transmitting data, and not live voice, you
                                  are not forced to some minimum transmission speed. Just use the one that
                                  DELIVERS the most.

                                  The HF channel is a variable one. In good years we can move to higher
                                  frequencies, as close to the MUF multipath diminishes or dissapears, but
                                  regional nets with the required path geometries do not enjoy these
                                  benefits.

                                  And yes, the trend in the times we are living is using PC's and sound
                                  cards, as it is versatile and somehow, affordable. Making it open
                                  software may allow some worthwhile contributions and a shorter
                                  development time.

                                  I have seen one similar solution: Using smaller motherboards with less
                                  power hungry processors (VIA, etc) allows the development to be done in
                                  the PC and ported to a smaller and less power hungry box, powered from a
                                  DC-DC converter. It seems to be the fashion nowadays. There are non ham
                                  networks in South America (and possibly Africa) being built that way.

                                  The AEA hardware solution saw the light in 1988....almost 20 years ago.
                                  And at the pace the development goes nowadays, and the attitudes we are
                                  seeing (life is hard and short, I am not criticizing anyone), it looks
                                  that those boxes are history.

                                  Once again, pactor channel access solutions seem to show the way. You
                                  can go with a single speed for all links in a shared channel, like in
                                  wire (X.25 was born in that environment) on VHF/UHF, but on HF all paths
                                  in a network won't show the same quality, so you cannot use the single
                                  speed shared channel efficiently for all, neither a mix of speeds on a
                                  shared channel seems to be a viable solution so far. So peer to peer
                                  links at the highest EFFICIENT speed (maximizing ALLOWABLE thruput, not
                                  HOPING the highest theoretical one to be AVAILABLE always) seem to be
                                  the solution. It is the way the HF, ham side of the link works in
                                  Winlink 2000.

                                  Could a viable mimic of that be achieved?

                                  Jose, CO2JA

                                  PS: Daydreaming....perhaps...even a mixture of those ideas with ALE and
                                  an SDR....

                                  Second...could we be able to live with variable bandwidth, adaptive
                                  digital transmissions in our ham bamds without quarreling among us?

                                  Sorry for the crossposting, but to me, it seems interesting for both groups.