Networking Digital Modes

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 20, 2004
      The problem I see with most of the new digital modes is that the
      great majority of them appear to be tied up in keyboarder type
      software.

      In Q15x25's case, think of the Mixw implementation... If that were
      the only way to utilize Q15x25, it would eliminate any possibility of
      using Q15x25 for networking - or anything else beyond swapping brag
      files and 5-9's. ( Swapping brag files and 5-9's is fun, but it is
      not networking. )

      The Flex32 implementation has no waterfall display and so would be
      less than delightful for casual keyboarding - I''ve tried! - but for
      networking purposes where you operate in a fixed autoforwarding sub-
      band and can hang out on one frequency, it is heads and shoulders
      above the Mixw version.

      With Flex32, you can gateway between Q15x25 and Packet, for example.
      Using this gateway function you get from utilizing Flex32's simple
      digi, it is possible to use Q15x25 with any Packet software that
      can "talk" KISS AX25 over a serial or ethernet link. - That's a lot
      of software, folks.

      In my case, I created and operated a Q15x25 FBB BBS on 30meters for
      several days last year - just to establish that it could be done. It
      took two old computers connected by a null modem/serial link to set
      it up, but it worked flawlessly.

      If an enterprising Ham had connected to my system in Q15x25 mode
      during that test ( didn't happen ) they could have accessed my
      FlexNet node or my FBB BBS station... From the node, they could have
      connected on to the W5RGV node, located on a 1000ft tower 25 miles
      from my QTH and have 1.2kb packet access to the entire Lower Rio
      Grande Valley.

      Note the irony here... The HF link is faster than the VHF stuff it
      links to. :)

      Can't do that kind of neat and useful gateway stuff with keyboarder
      style implementations of ANY digital mode.

      - My point here is that the usefulness of any digital mode ( for
      networking ) is directly related to the kind of software it is
      offered in.

      It could be the neatest new digital mode imaginable - but if it
      cannot be used for anything beyond keyboarding, then it doesn't
      really matter ( to me as a networker ) what that modes' potential or
      technical capabilities may be.

      What is needed ( speaking as a member of an ARRL HF skipnet ) is
      software that allows the easy transformation from 300 baud HF Packet
      to newer, more useful digital modes. This means that SYSOPs should be
      able to use the same application software they do now - with a new
      digital mode that offers better performance on the air.

      If it could all be operated in one PC that would be nice, but even a
      two PC solution like my experimental Q15x25 BBS is much preferable to
      no solution at all. - Old PC's are cheap and plentiful.

      Charles, N5PVL
    • Bob Bob
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 20, 2004
        Hi Charles

        I guess it depends on what users want to do with it.. As much as
        networking is interesting to setup and play with, passing more than a
        few hundred KBytes gets very onerous and one often resorts to other
        telecommunications methods.

        Keep in mind to that you can think of Q15X25 as a kind of modulation
        method or OSI layer. You can run AX25 on top of the 15 carrier/2500BPS
        PSK channel or the 300BPS AFSK channel. The same kind of data can be
        transferred.

        The Linux implementation of the "modulation method" (Soundmodem by Tom
        Sailor) has a number of different modulating "types". You can create a
        maximum of three interfaces (I think) per sound card. One could be
        newpsk (what Q15X25 is based on), another AFSK1200 and another AFSK300.
        There are about 6 "types" of varying bit rate. There is also no reason
        why you cant create a serial or AXIP connection to another computer box.
        FBB software though also runs on Linux so you now have a BBS with
        multiple interfaces. The Linux box can also act as a digi, Netrom node
        etc. It will also provide any standard TCP/IP services as well (eg FTP
        and webserver)

        In my limited playing with Flex32 under Windoze is it appears that you
        can only have one modulation type/interface running at a time. Or was
        that just with TCP/IP..? Cant remember..

        BTW "Soundmodem" under Linux also has a calibration/waterfall display
        but it only runs in test mode. A waterfall also adds processing overhead
        to any computer OS..

        You commented that the Q15X25 on HF was faster than AFSK1200 on VHF..
        True enough but remember you can also talk Q15X25 on VHF. I have also
        seen some of the original RDFT/Wyman encoding that talks about 9600 on a
        FM QPSK channel.

        Do we need to gateway between AFSK300 and Q15X25 or just replace
        AFSK300..? Yes old PC's and soundcards are pretty cheap. Replacing the
        TNC's on the current AFSK300 systems with soundcard based dual systems
        sounds good... I can imagine the screams over that one...

        Cheers Bob VK2YQA

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 20, 2004
          " Replacing the TNC's on the current AFSK300 systems with soundcard
          based dual systems sounds good... I can imagine the screams over that
          one... "

          I don't get it... Whose toes would be stepped on? It seems ideal to
          me, and other SYSOPs have expressed the same desire for several years
          now.

          I'm a big fan of multicast... My "wish list" mode for HF is a multi-
          stream psk multicast protocol. Talk about a scream generator! The
          server transmits - continuously. 24/365

          Charles, N5PVL
        • Tomi Manninen
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 20, 2004
            On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 22:12, Bob Bob wrote:

            > The Linux implementation of the "modulation method" (Soundmodem by Tom
            > Sailor) has a number of different modulating "types". You can create a
            > maximum of three interfaces (I think) per sound card. One could be
            > newpsk (what Q15X25 is based on),

            Newqpsk _is_ Q15X25. There is no difference.

            Just wanted to make that clear.

            --
            Tomi Manninen / OH2BNS / KP20ME04
          • Wes Johnston
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 20, 2004
              Forgive me for asking what may be obvious, but are you saying that linux
              soundmodem does Q15X25? I think it'd be slick to run left channel Q15X25 and
              right channel 1200 AFSK.

              Better question, does the soundmodem run 1200 on left and 1200 on right? So I
              could make a dual frequency gateway, right?

              Wes
              --

              Quoting Bob Bob <bcnuup@...>:

> [...]
              > > networking ) is directly related to the kind of software it is
              > > offered in.
              > >
              > > It could be the neatest new digital mode imaginable - but if it
              > > cannot be used for anything beyond keyboarding, then it doesn't
              > > really matter ( to me as a networker ) what that modes' potential or
              > > technical capabilities may be.
              > >
              > > What is needed ( speaking as a member of an ARRL HF skipnet ) is
              > > software that allows the easy transformation from 300 baud HF Packet
              > > to newer, more useful digital modes. This means that SYSOPs should be
              > > able to use the same application software they do now - with a new
              > > digital mode that offers better performance on the air.
              > >
              > > If it could all be operated in one PC that would be nice, but even a
              > > two PC solution like my experimental Q15x25 BBS is much preferable to
              > > no solution at all. - Old PC's are cheap and plentiful.

            • Bob Bob
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 20, 2004
                Hi Wes...

                Yes the linux soundmodem "modem" called newpsk is in fact Q15X25. I have
                experimented with Q15X25 2500BPS, AFSK1200 and AFSK300 on the same
                frequency and different SIDs.

                Two soundcards and you have a gateway...

                I dont know about separate sound card channels. Wd someone pls answer that?

                Cheers Bob

                Wes Johnston wrote:

                > Forgive me for asking what may be obvious, but are you saying that linux
                > soundmodem does Q15X25? I think it'd be slick to run left channel Q15X25 and
                > right channel 1200 AFSK.
                >
                > Better question, does the soundmodem run 1200 on left and 1200 on right? So I
                > could make a dual frequency gateway, right?
                >
                > Wes
                > --

              • Jose Amador
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 21, 2004
                  --- Wes Johnston <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > Forgive me for asking what may be obvious, but are
                  > you saying that linux
                  > soundmodem does Q15X25? I think it'd be slick to
                  > run left channel Q15X25 and
                  > right channel 1200 AFSK.
                  >
                  > Better question, does the soundmodem run 1200 on
                  > left and 1200 on right? So I
                  > could make a dual frequency gateway, right?
                  >
                  > Wes
                  > --

                  I am still on kiss TNC', but yes, it might be
                  possible, depending on the soundcard.

                  Or still better, q15x25 on one channel and 1200 AFSK /
                  9600 G3RUH modems on the other.

                  With Linux, soundmodem does part of the layer one
                  stuff (data modulation), and your radio does the rest
                  (inserting data onto the RF channel and setting the
                  frequency). As long as the soundcard does the modem
                  stuff, with whatever modidulation format and delivers
                  data to the layer 2 and back, you can do whatever you
                  want, including TCPIP, netrom, etc.

                  AX.25 is a layer 2 entity. If you can funnel data
                  from/ to it, you are in business with packet..

                  What has been painfully weak is the layer one
                  implementation cast since the 80's, in which a single
                  wrong bit trashes a frame (or packet). Pactor (which
                  so far does not carry AX.25 layer 2 data) and Q15X25
                  (which does under Linux, at least) are far
                  better in that respect and can recover simple errors
                  without retransmission, which fares much better in our
                  noisy HF RF channels.

                  I have still not done q15x25 tests under Linux, I have
                  only used MixW, but CO3VT has, with good results
                  so far, only that q15x25 eats a fair slice of CPU
                  power, so it might not fare well with a very old MB.

                  q15x25 modulation, and data encoding and decoding
                  claim a fair share of processor power. With a P233,
                  beaconing only eats a large share of CPU power, leave
                  alone moving data. But with a better CPU, it can be
                  done.

                  73 de Jose, CO2JA.

> [...]
                  > imaginable - but if it
                  > > > cannot be used for anything beyond keyboarding,
                  > then it doesn't
                  > > > really matter ( to me as a networker ) what that
                  > modes' potential or
                  > > > technical capabilities may be.
                  > > >
                  > > > What is needed ( speaking as a member of an ARRL
                  > HF skipnet ) is
                  > > > software that allows the easy transformation
                  > from 300 baud HF Packet
                  > > > to newer, more useful digital modes. This means
                  > that SYSOPs should be
                  > > > able to use the same application software they
                  > do now - with a new
                  > > > digital mode that offers better performance on
                  > the air.
                  > > >
                  > > > If it could all be operated in one PC that would
                  > be nice, but even a
                  > > > two PC solution like my experimental Q15x25 BBS
                  > is much preferable to
                  > > > no solution at all. - Old PC's are cheap and

                • Tomi Manninen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 21, 2004
                    On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 03:42, Bob Bob wrote:

                    > I dont know about separate sound card channels. Wd someone pls answer that?

                    I haven't checked the latest version, but I doubt it supports
                    separate sound channels. Earlier versions didn't.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 21, 2004
                      On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 12:47, Jose Amador wrote:

                      > q15x25 modulation, and data encoding and decoding
                      > claim a fair share of processor power. With a P233,
                      > beaconing only eats a large share of CPU power, leave
                      > alone moving data. But with a better CPU, it can be
                      > done.

                      Q15X25 really shouldn't need very much CPU power.
                      At the time I wrote the code, I was using Pentium
                      machines in the 100...200 MHz range.

                      With gMFSK I have noticed that the most CPU power
                      consuming part of the whole program in the waterfall,
                      and to be precise _drawing_ the waterfall. The rest
                      is pretty light stuff...

                      (And no, gMFSK doesn't do Q15X25.. (yet anyway))

                      --
                      Tomi Manninen / OH2BNS / KP20ME04
                    • rich hudgins
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 21, 2004
                        Right now I am running a TNCX kiss tnc on a serial port and Q15X25 on
                        Flexnet32. I can work either channel with Paxon but can not link them. Any
                        suggestions on linking the channels with Flexnet32?
                        Rich Hudgins N5ALE

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 21, 2004
                          N5ALE Says:

                          >Any suggestions on linking the channels with Flexnet32?

                          I working from memory here, but I believe it goes like this:

                          In the Flex32 Control Center choose Parameters, under the Tools menu.

                          A box saying "FlexNet Channel Parameters" should pop up, with ports 0-
                          15 shown... Port 15 says "Loop" next to it.

                          If you click up Port 15, a mini-menu should pop up that says "Mini-
                          Digi".

                          Put your callsign in the text entry box ( NO SSID ! ) and click "OK".

                          That's the setup process, here's how to use it:

                          Now you can digi through any port, including the same port you came
                          in on, by using SSID numbers that match the Port number you want to
                          digi out on.

                          If you only have one port, hams can digi "V N5ALE-0" and use your
                          system as a simple digipeater.

                          If you have two ports, they can be on the Port0 freq and connect to
                          something "V N5ALE-1" and the digi will be directed out through Port1.

                          What I used to run was a 38.4kb fulldup KISS serial link on Port0 and
                          Q15x25 (NewQpsk) on Port1.

                          I had the BBS on another computer, with its beacons set up to digi V
                          N5PVL-1.

                          ??? Anyway, that's how I remember it. I'm may be wrong on one or more
                          details, it's been a while.

                          Charles, N5PVL
                        • rich hudgins
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 21, 2004
                            Thanks Charles That's a lot more than I had before. I run a Telpac node
                            here N5ALE-10 and would love to be able to set up an Q15X25 hf link into the
                            Telpac node. Ill work on it and let everyone know
                            rich N5ALE

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 26, 2004
                              --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, rich hudgins <rich_hudgins@d...> wrote:

                              > I run a Telpac node here N5ALE-10 and would love to be able to
                              > set up an Q15X25 hf link into the Telpac node. Ill work on it
                              > and let everyone know
                              >
                              > rich N5ALE

                              Did it do OK, Rich?

                              Charles, N5PVL