TCP/IP and multi channel soundmodem Flexnet32

  • Bob C
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2004
      Hi all

      Am trying to assist a fellow amateur set up his Flexnet32/Soundmodem
      system. He has "ordinary" AX25 running through Paxon but wants to
      experiment with TCP/IP.

      His soundmodem is setup for two modulation types, afsk and newpsk. In my
      Linux experimentation I note that there is one interface (sm0, sm1 etc)
      per IP address and a separate SSID for each. In the Windows XP setup I
      dont see an easy way to create multiple interface instances. Has anyone
      tackled this?

      I also wonder if anyone is having problems with the TCP/IP
      implementation on XP/Soundmodem in general. He believes he has done
      "something wrong" to his PC but cant track down what. For instance he
      can ping his own 44 interface, but gets a host unreachable with no audio
      o/p when he pings another host within the same 44 subnet.

      I/we know about routes and IP settings etc and they are all set
      correctly. The routing table (route print) has all the right data.

      Any thoughts, help or direction to FAQ etc gratefully accepted.

      Cheers

      Bob VK2YQA (running soundmodem under linux quite well..)
    • Tomi Manninen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2004
        On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 10:48, Bob C wrote:

        > I also wonder if anyone is having problems with the TCP/IP
        > implementation on XP/Soundmodem in general. He believes he has done
        > "something wrong" to his PC but cant track down what. For instance he
        > can ping his own 44 interface, but gets a host unreachable with no audio
        > o/p when he pings another host within the same 44 subnet.
        >
        > I/we know about routes and IP settings etc and they are all set
        > correctly. The routing table (route print) has all the right data.

        I have a faint recollection that Flexnet does not support ARP at all
        so you have to manually map IP addresses to AX.25 destinations.
        Flexnet had a dialog called something like AX.25 routing IIRC.

        It's been a while since I've played with Flexnet, or Windows in
        general...

        --
        Tomi Manninen / OH2BNS / KP20ME04
      • Bob C
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2004
          Yes I know the problem about Windows <grin> although that is my day job!

          Not an ARPing problem as such., just how to define more than one AX25
          TCP/IP interface. The soundmodem driver in Linux (soundmodemconfig)
          allows you to define interfaces that look very similar to (say) a
          ethernet port but with a hardware address that have callsigns and
          SSID's. This works well. Under Windows however soundmodemconfig doesnt
          touch this at all. A separate "hardware device" ("IPOVER") needs to be
          added through control panel and that is then configured with IP address,
          netmask, routes etc accordingly. Then Flexnet takes care of a series of
          static like entries that do the ARPing. I havent tried to add a second
          hardware device and configure it with a different IP address nor have I
          tried binding another IP address to the existing one.

          What I am trying to get at is that the Flexnet ARPing function doesnt
          seem to be interface/ IP address related. I am doing this from a
          distance but all indications at the moment though point to only one
          interface (the first) being able to run TCP/IP

          One of the underlying reasons behind playing with TCP/IP in Flexnet is
          I'd like to experiment sending UDP packets in broadcast mode (by subnet)
          and have a listener reassemble them into a (say) file. Initial tests
          would probably be done with a simple perl script and ethereal. In a
          shared channel mode tbis would be much better than using the
          RDFT/Wyman1x method of TX on continuously. I also want to play with
          higher data rates (reasoning that an FM TX is going to be wider than HF
          SSB) and the soundmodem driver has variable bit rates (whereas the
          Wyman1x/RDFT code is fixed on 2500 - If anyone however knows where to
          fiddle this in the Wyman1x source code pls tell!)

          Tnxs for your comments Tomi.

          Cheers Bob VK2YQA