Best way to make contacts? Skeds?

  • ab7ru
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2003
      I tried q15x25 many monthgs ago but thought I would try it again - is
      there any particular time or freq best to find someone? Or are skeds
      usually about the only way to make a contact?
      73 Mike AB7RU
    • Jason Buchanan
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2003
        ab7ru wrote:
        > I tried q15x25 many monthgs ago but thought I would try it again - is
        > there any particular time or freq best to find someone? Or are skeds
        > usually about the only way to make a contact?

        Please let me know when you do get a sked going - I would like to fire
        up Q15X25 here - I usually hang out at 14.109.5 listening for MT63.

        regards,
        Jason W0JSB
      • ab7ru
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 21, 2003
          Jason:
          Where are you located? I am in eastern WA near Spokane
          I am usually around after 6:30 pm PDT (0230 GMT) (after today) or
          most anytime on weekends.
          Mike

        • jsb@digistar.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 21, 2003
            On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, ab7ru wrote:

            > Where are you located? I am in eastern WA near Spokane I am usually
            > around after 6:30 pm PDT (0230 GMT) (after today) or most anytime on
            > weekends.

            QTH is Boxboro, MA, about 28 miles west of Boston. I've had a few
            contacts in British Columbia so we should be able to make contact. I
            monitor 14.109.5 when 20 meters is open - here lately it's been hit and
            miss because of the solar flares and high K index (aurora index is high
            too which is probably a better measure to use).

            But......... i'll fire up 20m and listen. We should be able to hear
            something! :-) I am using the parameters as recommended by
            http://home.att.net/~ronchap/q15x25modes/q15x25.htm Ron KA2HZO so hope
            this helps with MixW.

            73 Jason
          • ab7ru
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 21, 2003
              Sounds good, Jason - I will likewise try to monitor 14.109.5 as well
              whenever I can. I had high hopes for this mode when I first heard
              about it, but never really got the chance to experiment with it
              extensively. The few contacts I had were disappointing in terms of
              throughput, but maybe these new settings will help. Could also have
              been other factors... getting an ARQ link using a sound card is my
              dream (on any mode besides HF packet which I don't count :)
              Mike

            • jsb@digistar.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 23, 2003
                On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, ab7ru wrote:

                > Sounds good, Jason - I will likewise try to monitor 14.109.5 as well
                > whenever I can. I had high hopes for this mode when I first heard about
                > it, but never really got the chance to experiment with it extensively.
                > The few contacts I had were disappointing in terms of throughput, but
                > maybe these new settings will help. Could also have been other
                > factors... getting an ARQ link using a sound card is my dream (on any
                > mode besides HF packet which I don't count :) Mike

                20 meters has been pretty rough with the recent x-ray solar flares but 40
                meters around 7070-7085 has been pretty good and 80 meters around 3580
                hasn't been bad either.

                regards,
                Jason