Monitoring 20/15 For Activity

  • rh3x
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 13, 2003
      Will be monitoring 14109usb and 21113usb this weekend (9-13/14) for
      Q15X25 stations.

      de Rich/N2JR rh3x@...
    • transit_man
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 13, 2003
        Could you turn a beacon on? Once a minute would be great. I'd be
        happy to give you a report, but as of Saturday I don't have a TX.

        I'm monitoring 14.109, USB, and using MIXW. The center of the Q15X25
        channel for MIXW is 1400hz. Using a ICOM PCR-1000 into a Window. I am
        in Michigan near the Ohio/Indiana borders.

        73

        Jeff wb8wka

        P.S. I might even have TX capability on Sunday, but like I said, I'm
        there listening so give it a shot.

        --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "rh3x" <rh3x@e...> wrote:
        > Will be monitoring 14109usb and 21113usb this weekend (9-13/14) for
        > Q15X25 stations.
        >
        > de Rich/N2JR rh3x@e...
      • transit_man
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 13, 2003
          Didn't copy you yet Rich, but when I came in I had this on my
          terminal:

          I3FUE>QST>UI,C,F0:

          Somewhere between 6-8pm EDT

          And that station is out of Italy
          http://ham.shineline.it/i3fue/i3fue.htm

          --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "rh3x" <rh3x@e...> wrote:
          > Will be monitoring 14109usb and 21113usb this weekend (9-13/14) for
          > Q15X25 stations.
          >
          > de Rich/N2JR rh3x@e...
        • Jason Buchanan
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 14, 2003
            transit_man wrote:

            > Could you turn a beacon on? Once a minute would be great. I'd be
            > happy to give you a report, but as of Saturday I don't have a TX.
            >
            > I'm monitoring 14.109, USB, and using MIXW. The center of the Q15X25
            > channel for MIXW is 1400hz. Using a ICOM PCR-1000 into a Window. I am
            > in Michigan near the Ohio/Indiana borders.

            I'm running a beacon at 14.109 now, USB, MixW with the parameters as
            detailed in the site below:

            http://home.att.net/~ronchap/q15x25modes/q15x25.htm

            Using my plane-jane wattmeter i'm transmitting at 2W output. i'm unsure
            if this is too much or too little - a BPSK tune signal is output at
            80W when left at the same output levels.

            QTH is Boxboro, MA, west of Boston.

            73 - Jason W0JSB

            > 73
            >
            > Jeff wb8wka
            >
            > P.S. I might even have TX capability on Sunday, but like I said, I'm
            > there listening so give it a shot.
            >
            > --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "rh3x" <rh3x@e...> wrote:
            >
            >>Will be monitoring 14109usb and 21113usb this weekend (9-13/14) for
            >>Q15X25 stations.
            >>
            >>de Rich/N2JR rh3x@e...

          • Jason Buchanan
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 14, 2003
              Looks like there is some activity out there - I received this around
              13:20 EDT:

              K9BMB>CQ>UI,C,F0:

              I was outside firing up the BBQ grill and didn't have a chance to
              connect - will try a few more times and switch back to beacon if no one
              objects.

              regards,
              Jason W0JSB

              Jason Buchanan wrote:
              > transit_man wrote:
              >

              >>Could you turn a beacon on? Once a minute would be great. I'd be
              >>happy to give you a report, but as of Saturday I don't have a TX.
              >>
              >>I'm monitoring 14.109, USB, and using MIXW. The center of the Q15X25
              >>channel for MIXW is 1400hz. Using a ICOM PCR-1000 into a Window. I am
              >>in Michigan near the Ohio/Indiana borders.
              >

              > I'm running a beacon at 14.109 now, USB, MixW with the parameters as
              > detailed in the site below:
              >
              > http://home.att.net/~ronchap/q15x25modes/q15x25.htm
              >
              > Using my plane-jane wattmeter i'm transmitting at 2W output. i'm unsure
              > if this is too much or too little - a BPSK tune signal is output at
              > 80W when left at the same output levels.
              >

              > QTH is Boxboro, MA, west of Boston.
              >

              > 73 - Jason W0JSB
              >

              >>73
              >>
              >>Jeff wb8wka
              >>
              >>P.S. I might even have TX capability on Sunday, but like I said, I'm
              >>there listening so give it a shot.
              >>
              >>--- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "rh3x" <rh3x@e...> wrote:
              >>

              >>>Will be monitoring 14109usb and 21113usb this weekend (9-13/14) for
              >>>Q15X25 stations.
              >>>
              >>>de Rich/N2JR rh3x@e...

            • Karl Larsen
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 14, 2003
                On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, Jason Buchanan wrote:

                > Looks like there is some activity out there - I received this around
                > 13:20 EDT:
                >
                > K9BMB>CQ>UI,C,F0:
                >

                > I was outside firing up the BBQ grill and didn't have a chance to
                > connect - will try a few more times and switch back to beacon if no one
                > objects.

                Hi Jason, I have an unregistered copy of MixW and I cannot get
                Q15x25 to work. When I set up Packet and look for this mode it isn't
                there even after putting the whole .zip package of files in the MixW
                directory.

                Do you think I must register it before this will work? psk31
                works fine.

                > regards,
                > Jason W0JSB
                >

                > Jason Buchanan wrote:
                > > transit_man wrote:
                > >

                > >>Could you turn a beacon on? Once a minute would be great. I'd be
                > >>happy to give you a report, but as of Saturday I don't have a TX.
                > >>
                > >>I'm monitoring 14.109, USB, and using MIXW. The center of the Q15X25
                > >>channel for MIXW is 1400hz. Using a ICOM PCR-1000 into a Window. I am
                > >>in Michigan near the Ohio/Indiana borders.
                > >

                > > I'm running a beacon at 14.109 now, USB, MixW with the parameters as
                > > detailed in the site below:
                > >
                > > http://home.att.net/~ronchap/q15x25modes/q15x25.htm
                > >
                > > Using my plane-jane wattmeter i'm transmitting at 2W output. i'm unsure
                > > if this is too much or too little - a BPSK tune signal is output at
                > > 80W when left at the same output levels.
                > >

                > > QTH is Boxboro, MA, west of Boston.
                > >

                > > 73 - Jason W0JSB
                > >

                > >>73
                > >>
                > >>Jeff wb8wka
                > >>
                > >>P.S. I might even have TX capability on Sunday, but like I said, I'm
                > >>there listening so give it a shot.

                > >>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

              • Jason Buchanan
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 14, 2003
                  Karl Larsen wrote:

                  > Hi Jason, I have an unregistered copy of MixW and I cannot get
                  > Q15x25 to work. When I set up Packet and look for this mode it isn't
                  > there even after putting the whole .zip package of files in the MixW
                  > directory.
                  >
                  > Do you think I must register it before this will work? psk31
                  > works fine.

                  It should be visible in the modem dropdown box. I found the mode
                  available after stopping and restarting MixW. Might try uninstalling
                  and re-installing MixW and the DLL file.

                  I'm really curious to see how fast a file transfer is made qith Q15X25.
                  I've been hanging out at 14.109 all day with occasional trips to 3580.
                  80 meters is beginning to come alive here after the sun goes down.

                  thanks,
                  Jason - W0JSB
                • rich hudgins
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 15, 2003
                    I will be off and on during the day on 14.109 look to see anyone

                    Rich N5ALE
                    > Could you turn a beacon on? Once a minute would be great. I'd be
                    > happy to give you a report, but as of Saturday I don't have a TX.
                    >
                    > I'm monitoring 14.109, USB, and using MIXW. The center of the Q15X25
                    > channel for MIXW is 1400hz. Using a ICOM PCR-1000 into a Window. I am
                    > in Michigan near the Ohio/Indiana borders.

                    I'm running a beacon at 14.109 now, USB, MixW with the parameters as
                    detailed in the site below:

                    http://home.att.net/~ronchap/q15x25modes/q15x25.htm

                    Using my plane-jane wattmeter i'm transmitting at 2W output. i'm unsure
                    if this is too much or too little - a BPSK tune signal is output at
                    80W when left at the same output levels.

                    QTH is Boxboro, MA, west of Boston.

                    73 - Jason W0JSB

                    > 73
                    >
                    > Jeff wb8wka
                    >
                    > P.S. I might even have TX capability on Sunday, but like I said, I'm
                    > there listening so give it a shot.
                    >
                    > --- In Q15X25@yahoogroups.com, "rh3x" <rh3x@e...> wrote:
                    >
                    >>Will be monitoring 14109usb and 21113usb this weekend (9-13/14) for
                    >>Q15X25 stations.
                    >>
                    >>de Rich/N2JR rh3x@e...

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Jason Buchanan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 16, 2003
                      I'll be on later tonight, around 0100Z (9:00pm eastern) at 14.109 with
                      Q15X25. I have to work late tonight from home so will be up at least
                      until 0400Z.

                      I worked a bunch of MT63 stations last night - had a ball.

                      If any Q15X25 activity i'd like to send and receive some files to test
                      throughput. I'd love to see a full 2500bps transmission!!

                      btw, are there any plans to implement a compression engine into Q15X25?
                      LZO is an awesome real-time compressor
                      http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/ it's not as tight as GZIP or
                      BZIP but it is extremely fast and competes well. might make the sending
                      of text data a lot faster. Won't do any good for image/binary data though.

                      Jason W0JSB
                    • Karl Larsen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 16, 2003
                        On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Jason Buchanan wrote:

                        > I'll be on later tonight, around 0100Z (9:00pm eastern) at 14.109 with
                        > Q15X25. I have to work late tonight from home so will be up at least
                        > until 0400Z.
                        >
                        > I worked a bunch of MT63 stations last night - had a ball.
                        >

                        > If any Q15X25 activity i'd like to send and receive some files to test
                        > throughput. I'd love to see a full 2500bps transmission!!

                        Hi Jason wonder what software your using. I am trying to get
                        Thomas Sailer's soundmodem software to work on Red Hat version 9 but no
                        success. I can't even get MixW to work on Q15x25...:-(

                      • jsb@digistar.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 16, 2003
                          On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Karl Larsen wrote:

                          > > If any Q15X25 activity i'd like to send and receive some files to test
                          > > throughput. I'd love to see a full 2500bps transmission!!
                          >
                          > Hi Jason wonder what software your using. I am trying to get
                          > Thomas Sailer's soundmodem software to work on Red Hat version 9 but no
                          > success. I can't even get MixW to work on Q15x25...:-(

                          I've not used any of the available linux software for any of the modes -
                          which is quite odd because i'm quite the unix fanatic. I should try that.

                          But under MixW it should come up fine. I just tested the procedure here.
                          Install MixW, extract the DLL into the MixW top directory, open MixW,
                          select Packet, then Mode settings, then click the modem tab and select the
                          Q15X25 modem.

                          I followed the settings Ron KA2HZO has published on his site:
                          http://home.att.net/~ronchap/q15x25modes/q15x25.htm

                          I have had only 1 qso with Q15X25 so i'm anxious to try it out with more
                          people. Particularly curious to see the throughput for files...

                          I may have to postpone tonight's sked and work 14.109 tomorrow night
                          instead. The people who scheduled the need for me to be near a computer
                          tonight have changed their plans to tomorrow night - I will be on 14.109
                          tonight from around 8:30 to 9:30 EDT and then will have to head to bed but
                          I should be up fairly late tomorrow.

                          thanks,
                          Jason
                          W0JSB
                        • Tomi Manninen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 16, 2003
                            On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 15:23, Jason Buchanan wrote:

                            > btw, are there any plans to implement a compression engine into Q15X25?
                            > LZO is an awesome real-time compressor
                            > http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/ it's not as tight as GZIP or
                            > BZIP but it is extremely fast and competes well. might make the sending
                            > of text data a lot faster. Won't do any good for image/binary data though.

                            I have been contemplating about writing a completely new parallel
                            modem, based on what I learned while working on Q15X25 and ever since.
                            I already did some tests with new interleavers and error correcting
                            codes over the current modem core. Some of this work is currently in
                            use in the EHAS project and the results are very promising.

                            Implementing packet based compression is one of the features that I
                            have thought about. I would like to use libz (gzip) because of it's
                            availability, provided it can be effectively adopted for block
                            compression.

                            One of these days...

                            --
                            Tomi Manninen / OH2BNS / KP20ME04
                          • Karl Larsen
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 16, 2003
                              On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Tomi Manninen wrote:

                              > On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 15:23, Jason Buchanan wrote:
                              >
                              > > btw, are there any plans to implement a compression engine into Q15X25?
                              > > LZO is an awesome real-time compressor
                              > > http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/ it's not as tight as GZIP or
                              > > BZIP but it is extremely fast and competes well. might make the sending
                              > > of text data a lot faster. Won't do any good for image/binary data though.
                              >
                              > I have been contemplating about writing a completely new parallel
                              > modem, based on what I learned while working on Q15X25 and ever since.
                              > I already did some tests with new interleavers and error correcting
                              > codes over the current modem core. Some of this work is currently in
                              > use in the EHAS project and the results are very promising.
                              >
                              > Implementing packet based compression is one of the features that I
                              > have thought about. I would like to use libz (gzip) because of it's
                              > availability, provided it can be effectively adopted for block
                              > compression.

                              Hi Tomi, your the person who would know. I think ax25 packet can
                              pass a binary file. So we could do the gzip before sending a long
                              message.

                              Also I cannot get Thomas Sailer's soundmodem version of newqpsk
                              to work on Red Hat version 9 Linux. I find that it cannot find any
                              config file and the GUI soundmodemconfig tool does not do anything
                              right. I gather the config file must be written in sgml but not any
                              documentation so can't be sure. So if you have any help please let me
                              know where to look.

                              > One of these days...

                            • Tomi Manninen
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 18, 2003
                                On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 02:04, Karl Larsen wrote:

                                > Hi Tomi, your the person who would know. I think ax25 packet can
                                > pass a binary file. So we could do the gzip before sending a long
                                > message.

                                True. This would also be more efficient than compression at protocol
                                level. But still compression in the modem could help in some cases.

                                > Also I cannot get Thomas Sailer's soundmodem version of newqpsk
                                > to work on Red Hat version 9 Linux. I find that it cannot find any
                                > config file and the GUI soundmodemconfig tool does not do anything
                                > right. I gather the config file must be written in sgml but not any
                                > documentation so can't be sure. So if you have any help please let me
                                > know where to look.

                                A while ago I wrote this for someone:

                                ----------

                                You need a kernel with AX.25 support and MKISS support enabled. The
                                latter is important and remember also to load the mkiss module if
                                it was compiled as a module.

                                Of course you also need soundmodem from the above URL.

                                Edit /etc/ax25/axports and add a port for soundmodem. The normal
                                guidelines about the callsign etc. apply. AX25-HOWTO should help
                                with these.

                                Log in as root.

                                Launch the 'soundmodemconfig' program. Soundmodemconfig a X program
                                which can be a problem if the box where soundmodem will be run does
                                not have X. In that case you can run it on another PC and copy the
                                config file afterwards to the destination PC. (Hint: Give a filename
                                at the command line "soundmodemconfig /tmp/soundmodem.conf", and
                                you don't even have to be root at this stage.)

                                In 'soundmodemconfig' add a new configuration (file->new->
                                configuration). Give it any name you want, eg. Q15X25. Click on the
                                config in the tree view. PTT driver is the only setting you should
                                need to touch in the "IO" tab. In "Channel access" tab TxDelay and
                                TxTail are ignored (when using the newqpsk modem, however see below),
                                SlotTime and P-Persistence have their usual meaning and you may want
                                to tweak them.

                                Now add a channel (file->new->channel). Click "Channel 0" in the tree
                                view. Set modulator to "newqpsk". Don't change the modulator parameters
                                now. Later when you have everything working, you can experiment with
                                them. Then do the same thing for the demodulator. In the "Packet IO"
                                tab, make sure mode is MKISS. Interface name doesn't really matter
                                but with a recent kernel you can choose a descriptive name. Callsign
                                is IMPORTANT. It MUST match the callsign that you chose in axports
                                for this port!! For ipaddr/netmask/broadcast I recommend starting
                                with some private address block not in other use in your box. Something
                                like 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0/192.168.0.255. Later you can change
                                it to something real like a valid amprnet address.

                                Now you're done. Exit the program, the config file is written to
                                /etc/ax25/soundmodem.conf at exit.

                                If you are running soundmodemconfig on the destination PC, you can
                                use it's debugging features for intial setup. Click "Channel 0" and
                                select Diagnostics->Scope or Spectrum. Scope can be used to set up
                                the incoming audio level. Also while any diagnostics are running,
                                received packets should be decoded to the stdout of the program.
                                Hitting the "PTT" briefly button should emit a Q15X25 packet from
                                the speakers but there is a bug in it. See below.

                                Now you are ready to run soundmodem. Type 'soundmodem -v 10 -c Q15X25'.
                                The config name is what you selected above and verbose level 10 enables
                                useful information from the newqpsk modem.

                                You can now use any linux packet program to use the modem. To transmit
                                a single test packet, try: beacon -s <port> "text text text"
                                Port is of course the port name in axports.

                                ---

                                PS. There is a slight problem: the version on Thomas' web page doesn't
                                have my latest fixes. This breaks PTT button in diagnostics and also
                                requires an ugly workaround in the "Channel access" config: you need
                                to set TxDelay to a non-zero value (actual value doesn't matter) and
                                TxTail to zero. Without the workaround the buggy version emits two
                                packets (the second one is "empty") for each sent packet.

                                ----------

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 18, 2003
                                  On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Tomi Manninen wrote:

                                  > On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 02:04, Karl Larsen wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Hi Tomi, your the person who would know. I think ax25 packet can
                                  > > pass a binary file. So we could do the gzip before sending a long
                                  > > message.
                                  >
                                  > > documentation so can't be sure. So if you have any help please let me
                                  > > know where to look.
                                  >
                                  > A while ago I wrote this for someone:
                                  >
                                  > ----------
                                  >
                                  > You need a kernel with AX.25 support and MKISS support enabled. The
                                  > latter is important and remember also to load the mkiss module if
                                  > it was compiled as a module.

                                  Got that Tomi. As root I have a bash file that loads the needed
                                  modules

                                  > Of course you also need soundmodem from the above URL.

                                  I'm using version 0.7

                                  > Edit /etc/ax25/axports and add a port for soundmodem. The normal
                                  > guidelines about the callsign etc. apply. AX25-HOWTO should help
                                  > with these.

                                  I have this.

                                  > Log in as root.
                                  >
                                  > Launch the 'soundmodemconfig' program. Soundmodemconfig a X program
                                  > which can be a problem if the box where soundmodem will be run does
                                  > not have X. In that case you can run it on another PC and copy the
                                  > config file afterwards to the destination PC. (Hint: Give a filename
                                  > at the command line "soundmodemconfig /tmp/soundmodem.conf", and
                                  > you don't even have to be root at this stage.)
                                  >
                                  > In 'soundmodemconfig' add a new configuration (file->new->
                                  > configuration). Give it any name you want, eg. Q15X25. Click on the
                                  > config in the tree view. PTT driver is the only setting you should
                                  > need to touch in the "IO" tab. In "Channel access" tab TxDelay and
                                  > TxTail are ignored (when using the newqpsk modem, however see below),
                                  > SlotTime and P-Persistence have their usual meaning and you may want
                                  > to tweak them.

                                  Got this and called it "mine"
                                  Changed it to Q15X25

                                  > Now add a channel (file->new->channel).

                                  Ahh, never heard of this Tomi. I just did that Tomi and it didn't give
                                  me what you got. I had to put a name and I put Channel 1 and when I
                                  click that it is the same old stuff, no modulator. Will try again.

                                  Nope, I cannot get what you have below.

                                  OK got what you have now Tomi but you can't do it like you did.
                                  You MUST click on the Q15X25 and THEN click File and you then have a
                                  choice to choose a channel....gads it's hard to put in words.

                                  Click "Channel 0" in the tree
                                  > view. Set modulator to "newqpsk".

                                  Got that selected and see several other selections available.

                                  Don't change the modulator parameters
                                  > now. Later when you have everything working, you can experiment with
                                  > them. Then do the same thing for the demodulator. In the "Packet IO"
                                  > tab, make sure mode is MKISS. Interface name doesn't really matter
                                  > but with a recent kernel you can choose a descriptive name. Callsign
                                  > is IMPORTANT. It MUST match the callsign that you chose in axports
                                  > for this port!! For ipaddr/netmask/broadcast I recommend starting
                                  > with some private address block not in other use in your box. Something
                                  > like 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0/192.168.0.255. Later you can change
                                  > it to something real like a valid amprnet address.

                                  I'm going to have to change your numbers Tomi. They interfer
                                  with my ethernet card and my Internet dies!

                                  > Now you're done. Exit the program, the config file is written to
                                  > /etc/ax25/soundmodem.conf at exit.
                                  >
                                  > If you are running soundmodemconfig on the destination PC, you can
                                  > use it's debugging features for intial setup. Click "Channel 0" and
                                  > select Diagnostics->Scope or Spectrum. Scope can be used to set up
                                  > the incoming audio level. Also while any diagnostics are running,
                                  > received packets should be decoded to the stdout of the program.
                                  > Hitting the "PTT" briefly button should emit a Q15X25 packet from
                                  > the speakers but there is a bug in it. See below.
                                  >
                                  > Now you are ready to run soundmodem. Type 'soundmodem -v 10 -c Q15X25'.
                                  > The config name is what you selected above and verbose level 10 enables
                                  > useful information from the newqpsk modem.

                                  I'm getting this now:

                                  [root@bucket root]# soundmodem -v 10 -c Q15X25
                                  sm[8702]: x86 CPU capability bfebf9ff, MMX enabled
                                  sm[8702]: ioctl: SIOCSIFNAME: File exists (17)
                                  sm[8702]: mkiss: cannot set ifname to sm0, using ax0 (old kernel
                                  version?)
                                  sm[8702]: mkiss: ifname ax0 mtu 256 hwaddr K5DI-1 ipaddr 192.168.0.1
                                  netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
                                  sm[8702]: audio: starting "/dev/dsp"
                                  sm[8702]: audio: sample rate 8000 input fragsz 256 numfrags 512 output
                                  fragsz 256 numfrags 512

                                  Seems to be a problem with sm0 which I think I saw in channel0...will
                                  fool around a bit.

                                  > You can now use any linux packet program to use the modem. To transmit
                                  > a single test packet, try: beacon -s <port> "text text text"
                                  > Port is of course the port name in axports.

                                  With this Tomi I am MILES ahead of where I was! I was stopped
                                  and no-where to go. Now I can start my MiniHowTo.
                                  > ---
                                  >
                                  > PS. There is a slight problem: the version on Thomas' web page doesn't
                                  > have my latest fixes. This breaks PTT button in diagnostics and also
                                  > requires an ugly workaround in the "Channel access" config: you need
                                  > to set TxDelay to a non-zero value (actual value doesn't matter) and
                                  > TxTail to zero. Without the workaround the buggy version emits two
                                  > packets (the second one is "empty") for each sent packet.
                                  >
                                  > ----------

                                • Tomi Manninen
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 19, 2003
                                    On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 05:38, Karl Larsen wrote:

                                    > > In 'soundmodemconfig' add a new configuration (file->new->
                                    > > configuration). Give it any name you want, eg. Q15X25. Click on the
                                    > > config in the tree view. PTT driver is the only setting you should
                                    > > need to touch in the "IO" tab. In "Channel access" tab TxDelay and
                                    > > TxTail are ignored (when using the newqpsk modem, however see below),
                                    > > SlotTime and P-Persistence have their usual meaning and you may want
                                    > > to tweak them.

                                    > > Now add a channel (file->new->channel).

                                    > OK got what you have now Tomi but you can't do it like you did.
                                    > You MUST click on the Q15X25 and THEN click File and you then have a
                                    > choice to choose a channel....gads it's hard to put in words.

                                    It is, and that's why my text is a bit unclear. Anyway I said "Click on
                                    the config in the tree view" above. Exactly what you did, "click on the
                                    Q15X25"...

                                    Anyway, _DON'T_ create two channels! Remove Channel 1 and configure
                                    Channel 0. Otherwise you will run into unnecessary problems later.

                                    > For ipaddr/netmask/broadcast I recommend starting
                                    > > with some private address block not in other use in your box. Something
                                    > > like 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0/192.168.0.255. Later you can change
                                    > > it to something real like a valid amprnet address.
                                    > >
                                    > I'm going to have to change your numbers Tomi. They interfer
                                    > with my ethernet card and my Internet dies!

                                    That's why I said "not in other use in your box"...

                                    > sm[8702]: ioctl: SIOCSIFNAME: File exists (17)
                                    > sm[8702]: mkiss: cannot set ifname to sm0, using ax0 (old kernel
                                    > version?)
                                    > sm[8702]: mkiss: ifname ax0 mtu 256 hwaddr K5DI-1 ipaddr 192.168.0.1

                                    This might be caused by the two channels above, I'm not sure. Anyway
                                    like I said in a private email, this error is not fatal.

                                    --
                                    Tomi Manninen / OH2BNS / KP20ME04