FlexNet32 (NEWQPSK) anyone ? Frequencies ? Users ?

  • maiko4 <maiko4@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2003
      Greetings,

      I'm very interested in trying to establish HF *packet*
      links to compliment our RF packet network here in Winnipeg,
      Manitoba. I'm an avid flexnet user, and the latest soundmodem
      options look very interesting to me.

      I'd like to try some experimental HF *packet* with others,
      in particular using the NEWQPSK soundmodem mode ...

      Can anyone provide me with a list of frequencies, soundmodem
      modes, users, ANYWHERE in the world. I'm located in central
      Canada, if *you* think it's possible to link up with me from
      your QTH, I would be more than happy to hear from you.

      Best regards,

      Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM
    • Jeff Waltermire
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2003
        Hi Maiko,
        I run an HF pactor mailbox in South America and would
        like to "tinker" with Q15X25. I am trying to setup my
        Linux box to run tnos with q15x25 but I am pretty new
        to Linux and tnos. I want to see how this works.

        I am located in Bolivia, South America and I have
        software setup and should be able to easily work you
        on 15m. I am new to the group here at yahoo as well
        and have listened on the frequencies that the group
        had mentioned in the past such as 21.133 USB and
        21.113 USB. I have not heard a Q15X25 signal on
        there.

        A week or two ago there was questions as to the
        legality of this mode. I think someone mentioned to
        turn the bitrate down to 2400 from 2500.

        I have holidays this Monday and Tuesday if you would
        like to try something. You can email me a time and
        frequency. My time zone is GMT -4 and I think you are
        GMT -6 or so? Let me know times in GMT.

        Look forward to hearing from you.

        If anyone in this group has reason to not have us on
        the air please let me know. I don't want to be
        illegal so I turned down the bitrate. I might be
        missing something though. Also, has anyone gotten
        either a bbs or a mailbox on the air with q15x25?

        Thanks and 73' de CP/N8ZUZ
        Jeff
        --- "maiko4 <maiko4@...>" <maiko4@...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I'm very interested in trying to establish HF
        > *packet*
        > links to compliment our RF packet network here in
        > Winnipeg,
        > Manitoba. I'm an avid flexnet user, and the latest
        > soundmodem
        > options look very interesting to me.
        >
        > I'd like to try some experimental HF *packet* with
        > others,
        > in particular using the NEWQPSK soundmodem mode ...
        >
        > Can anyone provide me with a list of frequencies,
        > soundmodem
        > modes, users, ANYWHERE in the world. I'm located in
        > central
        > Canada, if *you* think it's possible to link up with
        > me from
        > your QTH, I would be more than happy to hear from
        > you.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Tomi Manninen OH2BNS
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
          On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Jeff Waltermire wrote:

          > A week or two ago there was questions as to the
          > legality of this mode. I think someone mentioned to
          > turn the bitrate down to 2400 from 2500.

          Also, I quickly corrected this misconception, please read the archives.
          There's no grounds for this bitrate change as it doesn't work quite the
          way Dave thought it would.

          So please don't change the bitrate. If not for any other reason then for
          the sake of compatibility with the original modem (DSP56002EVM based).

          --
          Tomi Manninen Internet: oh2bns@...
          OH2BNS AX.25: oh2bns@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
            Hi,

            There is no problem with the 2500 setting for Q15X25
            After many emails and phone calls I found that this mode is perfectly legal for US HAMS to use.
            If you need to log the mode then log it as x25packet
            Enjoy it. Q15X25 is a pretty neet mode.
            Just try not to use it in the narrow part of the sub bands.
            Currently I had to move my shack because we have company staying with us.
            This is why I have not been on 15 meters for the past couple of weeks.  I'm looking into getting a 857 and laptop so I can work this mode along with other modes mobile.

            73 Ron KA2HZO

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
              Hi,
              Thanks for the bitrate info.

              Another question I have deals with TNOS. Do you guys
              know if anyone has gotten TNOS to work with the linux
              soundmodem? I loaded the AX.25 modules on my linux
              box, I then loaded soundmodem from the
              newqpsk-0.0.4.tar.gz, then put on TNOS. I can't get
              soundmodem to get setup right yet and I don't know
              anything about TNOS setup. I used to be a user on a
              JNOS system but that's it. If we could get a tnos
              server going using soundmodem on Q15 we could really
              have a nice system.

              Any help in all of this is much appreciated.

              73' de CP/N8ZUZ
              Jeff

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/