Re: [Pythagorean-L] Re: Intro

  • mskitty
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 4, 2009
      Thanks for thinking I know something, but the truth is I operate continually on Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle -- the more I see, the less I know. And that's the truth of the matter.

      Now I know you jest in asking who Sitchin is. Zecharia Sitchin is an actual Sumerianologist and I guess an archaeologist.  He can read the Sumerian language. I don't know why, but amazon dot com shows only 2 books of his.  The conspiracy theorist crowd and mainstream Science mostly seem to be "debunking" him, but this is neither here nor there as far as I am concerned.

      Sitchen, like Fideler, proposes taking the Sumerian at the word when it comes to their creation myths.  He proposes the Annunaki -- an advanced race of extraterrestrials -- were ancient astronauts who's story was told in the Sumerian creation myths.

      Well, rather than bore the list with my non-expertise, here is a link for a brief overview about Sitchin and some of my other favorite thinkers, including David Hatcher Childress who wrote about advanced ancient technology, including electricity being used in ancient Egypt:

      http://www.world-mysteries.com/pex_2.htm

      To boggle your mind even more, while looking for a link for you I happened upon this article, a new one on me, something to consider I suppose:

      http://www.nowpublic.com/strange/new-scientific-evidence-jesus-christ-was-born-u-f-o
      New Scientific Evidence that Jesus Christ was born in a UFO

      As you see, things get pretty wild and wooley out there when searching for the Truth!

      Yet, when I follow along what various authors have to say, there is an internal logic to it all.

      That was amusing that they wouldn't let you into seminary because your views were pure heresy lolll

      It was lovely what you wrote about the Virgin Mary being heiress to the crown of the great Egyptian goddess, Isis. Lovely imagery there. But a pagan who practices a Marion devotion? Interesting. I had come across the idea of having a Mary Garden altar kind of thing, where plants specific to Mary are planted around her statue. Nice concept. Do you know about this?  Here is a link that also gives the list of plants:

      http://theme-flower-gardens.suite101.com/article.cfm/planting_for_peace

      As to crop circles, in this day and age of computer generated images, I am finding more and more I cannot tell what is real and what is made up.  I personally have never seen a crop circle, and until I do I cannot come to a decision about any of it. Plain and simple.

      I like to look at the tarot cards, and once I did a reading for myself that pictured exactly my situation at the time.  I have no sacred space where I can easily sit and try a reading, so I don't use them much.

      mskitty

      From: mskitty <mskitty12311@ yahoo.com>
      To: Pythagorean- L@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, October 3, 2009, 9:19 PM

    • James McKinnon
      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 5, 2009
        All of these traditions appear to be tied together by a... well... golden thread.
        Gershom Scholem wrote that Azriel of Gerona was influenced by the Culdee philospher Eriugena.

        I guess it keeps coming around because it is part of Nature.

        Here's a website that describes Culdee training.

        Salus,

        James

        From: James McKinnon <metatron121@ yahoo.com>
        To: Pythagorean- L@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Sunday, October 4, 2009, 2:17 AM

        Mskitty,

        I'm a Culdee.  Culdee's, formerly trained in Irish and Scottish monasteries, could be called Christian Pythagoreans.  It was one of our philosophers, Virgil of Salzburg,  (Fergal), who came under some criticism from the Roman Church for teaching that the earth was a sphere.  We have also always been big fans of Martianus Capella.  Our philosopher Eriugena called Pythagoras the greatest of all Philosophers, and gave extensive discussion of almost all issues of Pythagorean and Platonic thought in his Periphyseon.

        Getting to the point, our tradition had its origins with Saint John, not Peter, (this is confirmed by Bede), and in the early middle ages our tradition was treated as a rival by the Roman Church.  (These days they try to pretend we never existed.)

        Anyway, our tradition states that Jesus grew up in Alexandria during the time that Philo, sometimes called Philo the Pythagorean, was the most important religious figure in the Jewish community of Alexandria.
        Philo, of course, used the Septuagint to teach Pythagoren/Platonic philosophy and was instrumental in divesting Hebrew scriptures of their historicity and unveiling their deeper, more allegorical/ mystical meaning.
        As a continuation of the approach of Philo and the Theraputae of Egypt, Jesus and his closest follower John naturally maintained and promoted a style of mysticism that had a veneer of Judaism, but was in reality Greek philosophy to the core.
        This is why so many of Jesus' sayings look like they are brief paraphrases of Epictetus, why John begins his work with the Logos doctrine, why you find Pythagorean elements in John's gospel, and why Eusebius insists that the Theraputae were early Christians.

        Anyway, after a person reads John Cassian, Gregory of Nyssa, Philo, and Eriugena, it's not nearly as difficult to imagine how Pythagoreanism might be found in Christian writings, what becomes more strange is how Christianity came to be the odd dogmatic thing it has become.

        Salus,

        James McKinnon

        From: Joe Flower <joeflower9937@ yahoo.com>
        To: Pythagorean- L@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Saturday, October 3, 2009, 8:14 AM

        I still like your style.
           Maybe because, like me, you wrestle with the business of language and like the challenges it presents.  Maybe that's what keeps us interested in occult matters.
           I have an over-developed left side of the brain that uses tools like logic, cause-and-effect, and sequentiality. I like maps.  But I yearn to beef up the right side and use intuition and see things holistically, which is difficult to me.
           I'm a mega-Virgo, with not only the sun but 3 other planets and some other stuff in that sign.  People don't come any more anal than me.
           I love poetry -- both reading and writing -- and the best poetry is a dance between literal and figural language.  The literal comes naturally to me but the figural is a challenge.  I take a battering in poetry critique groups that favor heavily figural language.  I once had a girl get right in my face and scream "Write METAPHORICALLY! !!"
           But I figure life is a matter of accepting your challenges as much as using your strengths.  I wonder how Pythagoras would respond to that statement.  Anyone want to tackle that?

           Anyway, re: the Vesica Pisces.  I take Christianity at its face value -- that the fish was adopted by early Christians because of its prominence in Jesus's ministry, food for both body and spirit.  I am not a Christian myself but can appreciate any spirituality found in symbols.
           The fact that it was borrowed from centuries of earlier Pagan traditions does no harm.  It's not like Hitler's degradation of the swastika.  I see it more akin to the medical profession's adoption of Hermes' staff, the Caduceus, which is also used, if not originating with, the Kabbalah.  (Which is another occult matter I love to torture myself with.)
           Personally, the Vesica Pisces is a geometry sacred to me just because it's created by the intersection of 2 circles.  To me, it's the geometric 2 as much as the triangle is the geometric 3.
           As for Atlantis, I have the same heart strings tugged as you do and, yes, I believe Plato is cited the most as "evidence" of its existence.