Re: [Pythagorean-L] Re: Intro

  • Joe Flower
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 3, 2009
      I still like your style.
         Maybe because, like me, you wrestle with the business of language and like the challenges it presents.  Maybe that's what keeps us interested in occult matters.
         I have an over-developed left side of the brain that uses tools like logic, cause-and-effect, and sequentiality. I like maps.  But I yearn to beef up the right side and use intuition and see things holistically, which is difficult to me.
         I'm a mega-Virgo, with not only the sun but 3 other planets and some other stuff in that sign.  People don't come any more anal than me.
         I love poetry -- both reading and writing -- and the best poetry is a dance between literal and figural language.  The literal comes naturally to me but the figural is a challenge.  I take a battering in poetry critique groups that favor heavily figural language.  I once had a girl get right in my face and scream "Write METAPHORICALLY!!!"
         But I figure life is a matter of accepting your challenges as much as using your strengths.  I wonder how Pythagoras would respond to that statement.  Anyone want to tackle that?

         Anyway, re: the Vesica Pisces.  I take Christianity at its face value -- that the fish was adopted by early Christians because of its prominence in Jesus's ministry, food for both body and spirit.  I am not a Christian myself but can appreciate any spirituality found in symbols.
         The fact that it was borrowed from centuries of earlier Pagan traditions does no harm.  It's not like Hitler's degradation of the swastika.  I see it more akin to the medical profession's adoption of Hermes' staff, the Caduceus, which is also used, if not originating with, the Kabbalah.  (Which is another occult matter I love to torture myself with.)
         Personally, the Vesica Pisces is a geometry sacred to me just because it's created by the intersection of 2 circles.  To me, it's the geometric 2 as much as the triangle is the geometric 3.
         As for Atlantis, I have the same heart strings tugged as you do and, yes, I believe Plato is cited the most as "evidence" of its existence.

      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 5, 2009
        All of these traditions appear to be tied together by a... well... golden thread.
        Gershom Scholem wrote that Azriel of Gerona was influenced by the Culdee philospher Eriugena.

        I guess it keeps coming around because it is part of Nature.

        Here's a website that describes Culdee training.

        Salus,

        James

        From: James McKinnon <metatron121@ yahoo.com>
        To: Pythagorean- L@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Sunday, October 4, 2009, 2:17 AM

        Mskitty,

        I'm a Culdee.  Culdee's, formerly trained in Irish and Scottish monasteries, could be called Christian Pythagoreans.  It was one of our philosophers, Virgil of Salzburg,  (Fergal), who came under some criticism from the Roman Church for teaching that the earth was a sphere.  We have also always been big fans of Martianus Capella.  Our philosopher Eriugena called Pythagoras the greatest of all Philosophers, and gave extensive discussion of almost all issues of Pythagorean and Platonic thought in his Periphyseon.

        Getting to the point, our tradition had its origins with Saint John, not Peter, (this is confirmed by Bede), and in the early middle ages our tradition was treated as a rival by the Roman Church.  (These days they try to pretend we never existed.)

        Anyway, our tradition states that Jesus grew up in Alexandria during the time that Philo, sometimes called Philo the Pythagorean, was the most important religious figure in the Jewish community of Alexandria.
        Philo, of course, used the Septuagint to teach Pythagoren/Platonic philosophy and was instrumental in divesting Hebrew scriptures of their historicity and unveiling their deeper, more allegorical/ mystical meaning.
        As a continuation of the approach of Philo and the Theraputae of Egypt, Jesus and his closest follower John naturally maintained and promoted a style of mysticism that had a veneer of Judaism, but was in reality Greek philosophy to the core.
        This is why so many of Jesus' sayings look like they are brief paraphrases of Epictetus, why John begins his work with the Logos doctrine, why you find Pythagorean elements in John's gospel, and why Eusebius insists that the Theraputae were early Christians.

        Anyway, after a person reads John Cassian, Gregory of Nyssa, Philo, and Eriugena, it's not nearly as difficult to imagine how Pythagoreanism might be found in Christian writings, what becomes more strange is how Christianity came to be the odd dogmatic thing it has become.

        Salus,

        James McKinnon