Re: [Pythagorean-L] Modern Pythagorean pagan groups? & Re: Four Fold Path

  • ptolis@chello.at
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
      There is one group, but I fear, its not neoplatonic.

      http://www.pythagoras-evangelium.eu/

      To get in contact write to rhythm@...

      Eusebes

      ---- Rhiannon Renee <rhiannon_chiana@...> schrieb:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern Pythagorean/Neoplatonic pagan groups. Occasionally I find the isolated Pythagorean pagan on the internet, few and far between, but is there any collective group out there? I kind of thought Four Fold Path was it, but, a while ago (May- see below for post) in the discussion about the Four Fold Path, Metatron groups the Culdees with "semi-pelagian Christians", so I gathered this to mean that the Four Fold Path is a Christian site rather than Pythagorean pagan. Since that's the only actual group I knew of I was hoping someone else knew of more?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Rhiannon
    • James McKinnon
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
        Because calling someone Christian can evoke the mental image of the typical modern bible thumper, or the medieval Catholic inquisitor, I feel compelled to note that Culdees or semi-Pelagian Christians have much more in common with Buddhist monks than they do with anything that is currently considered Christian.
        Heracleitos is quoted as saying, "Man who is an organic continuation of the Logos thinks he can severe that continuity and exist apart from it. "
        To the Culdee, the difference between Jesus and you or I, is that Jesus thoroughly knew himself to be an, "organic continuation of the Logos," and you and I do not.  That realization is what made Jesus the "Son of God."  That realization subsequently made him able to raise the dead, because it is the Logos that is the source and order of the Universe..  Naturally, the aspiration of the Culdee is to also come to know that he or she is an organic continuation fo the Logos.  (If you've ever wanted to know what all that Celtic knotwork is about, it's a graphical representation of the Logos.)
        All of this type of thinking on the part of the Culdees is very heretical from the ordinary Christian standpoint, because it implicitly disregards the need for some authoritative institution's dogma as being necessary to achieve the aforementioned realization.  (Hence, why Pelagius' name appears in the mix.)
        The Culdee connection to Pythagoreanism is due to their being the spiritual heirs of Philo of Alexandria, who the Christian writer Clement called, "the Pythagorean." Culdee theology is dominated by Stoicism, Pythgoreanism, Platonism and the ideas of Heraclitus.  They, like Boethius, are essentially closet Hellenes.

        Sorry, that was probably a lot more than anyone wanted to hear on the topic, but I just hate to see the Culdees and semi-Pelagians get mixed in with the common Christian stew.

        Salus,
        James

        There is one group, but I fear, its not neoplatonic.

        http://www.pythagor as-evangelium. eu/

        To get in contact write to rhythm@chello. at

        Eusebes

        ---- Rhiannon Renee <rhiannon_chiana@ yahoo.com> schrieb:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern Pythagorean/ Neoplatonic pagan groups. Occasionally I find the isolated Pythagorean pagan on the internet, few and far between, but is there any collective group out there? I kind of thought Four Fold Path was it, but, a while ago (May- see below for post) in the discussion about the Four Fold Path, Metatron groups the Culdees with "semi-pelagian Christians", so I gathered this to mean that the Four Fold Path is a Christian site rather than Pythagorean pagan. Since that's the only actual group I knew of I was hoping someone else knew of more?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Rhiannon

      • Rhiannon Renee
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
          Hi!  Thanks for clarifying that, that's very helpful and personally, as a newb, helps me clear up my confusion on the issue.  The thing about Celtic knotwork is intriguing.  Is it possible that is similar to the geometric Islamic art?  They both seem to inspire a similar feeling, like they communicate something reassuringly connective about eternity without needing to use words.
          Thanks!
          Rhiannon

        • ptolis@chello.at
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
            I have found another homepage. But it is only in German:

            http://www.pythagoras-institut.de/Start.html

            Errwsthe!

            Eusebes

            ---- ptolis@... schrieb:
            > There is one group, but I fear, its not neoplatonic.
            >
            > http://www.pythagoras-evangelium.eu/
            >
            > To get in contact write to rhythm@...
            >
            > Eusebes
            >

            > ---- Rhiannon Renee <rhiannon_chiana@...> schrieb:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern Pythagorean/Neoplatonic pagan groups. Occasionally I find the isolated Pythagorean pagan on the internet, few and far between, but is there any collective group out there? I kind of thought Four Fold Path was it, but, a while ago (May- see below for post) in the discussion about the Four Fold Path, Metatron groups the Culdees with "semi-pelagian Christians", so I gathered this to mean that the Four Fold Path is a Christian site rather than Pythagorean pagan. Since that's the only actual group I knew of I was hoping someone else knew of more?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > Rhiannon
          • A.C.B.
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
              Khaire!

              Where is the original, the Greek text, of the Beaten Piglet?

              Again, Khaire in Irene and Alitheia.

              ---- ptolis@chello. at schrieb:
              > There is one group, but I fear, its not neoplatonic.
              >
              > http://www.pythagor as-evangelium. eu/
              >
              > To get in contact write to rhythm@chello. at
              >
              > Eusebes
              >

              > ---- Rhiannon Renee <rhiannon_chiana@ yahoo.com> schrieb:
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern Pythagorean/ Neoplatonic pagan groups. Occasionally I find the isolated Pythagorean pagan on the internet, few and far between, but is there any collective group out there? I kind of thought Four Fold Path was it, but, a while ago (May- see below for post) in the discussion about the Four Fold Path, Metatron groups the Culdees with "semi-pelagian Christians", so I gathered this to mean that the Four Fold Path is a Christian site rather than Pythagorean pagan. Since that's the only actual group I knew of I was hoping someone else knew of more?
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > >
              > > Rhiannon

            • michael michael
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 6, 2008
                James,
                On another matter altogether:
                Are there any particle physicists out there who are sympathetic to the pythagorean approach and who would be prepared to engage in discussion about the conjunctions between the ancient science and the modern observations in particle physics?
                I am of the view that the ancient standards of measurement are rooted in physical parameters and are not arbitrarily concocted.  Hence there is a wisdom and insight there which could be useful in resolving the current problem areas in particle physics, such as the mass structure of quarks and at least some of the other external parameters of the Standard Model.
                Can you help with contacts?
                Regards
                Michael

                From: Miacharawan <zacktimmons@ gmail.com>
                Subject: [Pythagorean- L] Four Fold Path
                To: Pythagorean- L@yahoogroups. com
                Date: Thursday, May 29, 2008, 8:07 AM

                I'm sure that everyone here has come across the website,
                www.fourfoldpath. org I was wondering if that is a good resource.

                Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.
              • James McKinnon
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 8, 2008
                  Michael,

                  The only physicist I know of who might provide you with an interesting discussion on these issues is a quantum physicist named Amit Goswami.  He wrote a book called, The Self-Aware Universe, How Consciousness Creates the Material World.

                  I don't know him personally, but I have his book.  He appeared in the documentary movie, What The Bleep Do We Know.

                  http://www.dramitgoswami.com/Contact_Amit_Goswami.htm

                  Salus,
                  James

                  I'm sure that everyone here has come across the website,
                  www.fourfoldpath. org I was wondering if that is a good resource.

                  Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.

                • Pablo Sender
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 8, 2008
                    James and Michael,

                    Amit is a member of the Theosophical Society and one month ago delivered some lectures at its National Center in America, in Wheaton, Illinois. I went to the lectures, but I'm don't thinks he knows about pythagorean philosophy.
                    Pablo

                    Visit my theosophical website at http://pasender.tripod.com/
                    En español: http://pasender.tripod.com/id12.html

                    I'm sure that everyone here has come across the website,
                    www.fourfoldpath. org I was wondering if that is a good resource.

                    Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.

                    Yahoo! Cocina
                    Recetas prácticas y comida saludable
                    Visitá http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/
                  • michael michael
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 9, 2008
                      Thankyou James; as always, openly generous. I'll see what transpires!

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 9, 2008
                        Thankyou, Pablo. We have an historical connection here with the foundation of the theosophical movement in Australia. Indeed, it is from that historical connection that my interest in the subject of ancient measures originated; so your reference is as interesting as it is unexpected.