Re: [Pythagorean-L] Hello Pythagoreans!

  • James McKinnon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2008
      Pepopa,

      There is controversy surrounding the avoidance of beans by Pythagoreans.  For instance some writers did not believe that Pythagoras wanted his followers to literally avoid beans, but said that when Pythagoras said to avoid beans that he meant they should avoid politics.  Black and white beans were used in voting.

      Many Pythagorean sayings are symbolic, (hence the Pythagorean Symbols), and require interpretation, so care should be taken to not be too dogmatic about Pythagorean sayings.

      Salus,
      James

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18, 2008
        Most of the Pythagorean injunctions are meant to be understood
        symbolically, not literally. The most common theories about the
        injunction against beans is that it is either a warning against
        participating in democratic process or has to do with the use of beans
        as food offerings for the dead. The injunction would then be
        counseling one to place one's responsibilities to the living above
        those to the dead.

        --- In Pythagorean-L@yahoogroups.com, Pepopa Girard <pepopag@...> wrote:

        > Hello and Greetings.  My name is not actually Pepopa, but is a name
        I chose to abbreviate who I am striving to be (following the CAPS), a
        PErsonal Priest Of the Pythian Apollo.  Pepopa.  My last name is
        really Girard, though.  I'm of French descend in the US. I guess all
        of us need some goal and direction in life, this is mine.  I have read
        somewhere that Pythagoras got his name from the Pythian Apollo.  It's
        really fascinating to me.  I have a question; and it is something
        that's keeping me from really getting into Pythagoras.  I know that
        the old Pythagoreans were vegetarian, but I'm somewhat distraught that
        they did not eat beans either.  Did they have a rich source of protein
        from somewhere else?  I'm glad I'm here.  Thanks.  Pepopa.

      • Pepopa Girard
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2008

          Dear James,

          Ahhh...  that is a good point that I have not thought of.  Maybe I will have a look see into this vegetarian diet then.  Thanks for the information.

          Sincerely,

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 22, 2008

            Dear Jensav55,

            I hope this is the name you'd like to be called, it was part of your address.  Again, thanks for your input.  Gotcha y'all.

            Sincerely,

            Pepopa