Re: Four Fold Path

  • Miacharawan
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2008
      Thanks, I only noticed that after I had already posted it, lol. I'll
      take a look at the link you provided, however.

      --- In Pythagorean-L@yahoogroups.com, James McKinnon <metatron121@...>
      wrote:

      > www.fourfoldpath.org is a Culdee website.
      > The Culdees, like Eriugena, John Cassian and all semi-pelagian
      Christians, revere Pythagoras, Plato and Stoics like Epictetus.
      > Their tradition follows from Philo Judeus who was called Philo the
      Pythagorean by the church father Clement of Alexandria, who also
      borrowed from Philo.
      > Culdees have also gone to great lengths to write down and
      preserve  Druid  lore which is why we know any Celtic
      mythology at all.  (Coincidentally, the Druids are always
      compared to Pythagoreans by ancient writers like Strabo and Hippolytos.)

      > Anyway, I doubt fourfoldpath.org is really what you're looking for
      if you're looking to research Pythagoreanism per se.  I recommend
      instead John Opsopaus' site,
      http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/ETP/index.html
      > for that.
      > But if you're looking for a way to use Pythagorean concepts to help
      you attain Theosis, as in, "
      > You an immortal God shall then commence,
      >

      > Advanced beyond Mortality and Sense." fourfoldpath.org is a useful
      resource.

      > Salus,
      > James

    • Rhiannon Renee
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 31, 2008
        Hi,

        I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern Pythagorean/Neoplatonic pagan groups.  Occasionally I find the isolated Pythagorean pagan on the internet, few and far between, but is there any collective group out there?  I kind of thought Four Fold Path was it, but, a while ago (May- see below for post) in the discussion about the Four Fold Path, Metatron groups the Culdees with "semi-pelagian Christians", so I gathered this to mean that the Four Fold Path is a Christian site rather than Pythagorean pagan.  Since that's the only actual group  I knew of I was hoping someone else knew of more?

        Thanks!

        Rhiannon

      • ptolis@chello.at
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
          There is one group, but I fear, its not neoplatonic.

          http://www.pythagoras-evangelium.eu/

          To get in contact write to rhythm@...

          Eusebes

          ---- Rhiannon Renee <rhiannon_chiana@...> schrieb:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern Pythagorean/Neoplatonic pagan groups. Occasionally I find the isolated Pythagorean pagan on the internet, few and far between, but is there any collective group out there? I kind of thought Four Fold Path was it, but, a while ago (May- see below for post) in the discussion about the Four Fold Path, Metatron groups the Culdees with "semi-pelagian Christians", so I gathered this to mean that the Four Fold Path is a Christian site rather than Pythagorean pagan. Since that's the only actual group I knew of I was hoping someone else knew of more?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Rhiannon
        • James McKinnon
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
            Because calling someone Christian can evoke the mental image of the typical modern bible thumper, or the medieval Catholic inquisitor, I feel compelled to note that Culdees or semi-Pelagian Christians have much more in common with Buddhist monks than they do with anything that is currently considered Christian.
            Heracleitos is quoted as saying, "Man who is an organic continuation of the Logos thinks he can severe that continuity and exist apart from it. "
            To the Culdee, the difference between Jesus and you or I, is that Jesus thoroughly knew himself to be an, "organic continuation of the Logos," and you and I do not.  That realization is what made Jesus the "Son of God."  That realization subsequently made him able to raise the dead, because it is the Logos that is the source and order of the Universe..  Naturally, the aspiration of the Culdee is to also come to know that he or she is an organic continuation fo the Logos.  (If you've ever wanted to know what all that Celtic knotwork is about, it's a graphical representation of the Logos.)
            All of this type of thinking on the part of the Culdees is very heretical from the ordinary Christian standpoint, because it implicitly disregards the need for some authoritative institution's dogma as being necessary to achieve the aforementioned realization.  (Hence, why Pelagius' name appears in the mix.)
            The Culdee connection to Pythagoreanism is due to their being the spiritual heirs of Philo of Alexandria, who the Christian writer Clement called, "the Pythagorean." Culdee theology is dominated by Stoicism, Pythgoreanism, Platonism and the ideas of Heraclitus.  They, like Boethius, are essentially closet Hellenes.

            Sorry, that was probably a lot more than anyone wanted to hear on the topic, but I just hate to see the Culdees and semi-Pelagians get mixed in with the common Christian stew.

            Salus,
            James

            There is one group, but I fear, its not neoplatonic.

            http://www.pythagor as-evangelium. eu/

            To get in contact write to rhythm@chello. at

            Eusebes

            ---- Rhiannon Renee <rhiannon_chiana@ yahoo.com> schrieb:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern Pythagorean/ Neoplatonic pagan groups. Occasionally I find the isolated Pythagorean pagan on the internet, few and far between, but is there any collective group out there? I kind of thought Four Fold Path was it, but, a while ago (May- see below for post) in the discussion about the Four Fold Path, Metatron groups the Culdees with "semi-pelagian Christians", so I gathered this to mean that the Four Fold Path is a Christian site rather than Pythagorean pagan. Since that's the only actual group I knew of I was hoping someone else knew of more?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Rhiannon

          • Rhiannon Renee
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
              Hi!  Thanks for clarifying that, that's very helpful and personally, as a newb, helps me clear up my confusion on the issue.  The thing about Celtic knotwork is intriguing.  Is it possible that is similar to the geometric Islamic art?  They both seem to inspire a similar feeling, like they communicate something reassuringly connective about eternity without needing to use words.
              Thanks!
              Rhiannon

            • ptolis@chello.at
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
                I have found another homepage. But it is only in German:

                http://www.pythagoras-institut.de/Start.html

                Errwsthe!

                Eusebes

                ---- ptolis@... schrieb:
                > There is one group, but I fear, its not neoplatonic.
                >
                > http://www.pythagoras-evangelium.eu/
                >
                > To get in contact write to rhythm@...
                >
                > Eusebes
                >

                > ---- Rhiannon Renee <rhiannon_chiana@...> schrieb:
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern Pythagorean/Neoplatonic pagan groups. Occasionally I find the isolated Pythagorean pagan on the internet, few and far between, but is there any collective group out there? I kind of thought Four Fold Path was it, but, a while ago (May- see below for post) in the discussion about the Four Fold Path, Metatron groups the Culdees with "semi-pelagian Christians", so I gathered this to mean that the Four Fold Path is a Christian site rather than Pythagorean pagan. Since that's the only actual group I knew of I was hoping someone else knew of more?
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > >
                > > Rhiannon
              • A.C.B.
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
                  Khaire!

                  Where is the original, the Greek text, of the Beaten Piglet?

                  Again, Khaire in Irene and Alitheia.

                  ---- ptolis@chello. at schrieb:
                  > There is one group, but I fear, its not neoplatonic.
                  >
                  > http://www.pythagor as-evangelium. eu/
                  >
                  > To get in contact write to rhythm@chello. at
                  >
                  > Eusebes
                  >

                  > ---- Rhiannon Renee <rhiannon_chiana@ yahoo.com> schrieb:
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern Pythagorean/ Neoplatonic pagan groups. Occasionally I find the isolated Pythagorean pagan on the internet, few and far between, but is there any collective group out there? I kind of thought Four Fold Path was it, but, a while ago (May- see below for post) in the discussion about the Four Fold Path, Metatron groups the Culdees with "semi-pelagian Christians", so I gathered this to mean that the Four Fold Path is a Christian site rather than Pythagorean pagan. Since that's the only actual group I knew of I was hoping someone else knew of more?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!
                  > >
                  > > Rhiannon

                • michael michael
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 6, 2008
                    James,
                    On another matter altogether:
                    Are there any particle physicists out there who are sympathetic to the pythagorean approach and who would be prepared to engage in discussion about the conjunctions between the ancient science and the modern observations in particle physics?
                    I am of the view that the ancient standards of measurement are rooted in physical parameters and are not arbitrarily concocted.  Hence there is a wisdom and insight there which could be useful in resolving the current problem areas in particle physics, such as the mass structure of quarks and at least some of the other external parameters of the Standard Model.
                    Can you help with contacts?
                    Regards
                    Michael

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 8, 2008
                      Michael,

                      The only physicist I know of who might provide you with an interesting discussion on these issues is a quantum physicist named Amit Goswami.  He wrote a book called, The Self-Aware Universe, How Consciousness Creates the Material World.

                      I don't know him personally, but I have his book.  He appeared in the documentary movie, What The Bleep Do We Know.

                      http://www.dramitgoswami.com/Contact_Amit_Goswami.htm

                      Salus,
                      James

                      I'm sure that everyone here has come across the website,
                      www.fourfoldpath. org I was wondering if that is a good resource.

                      Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.

                    • Pablo Sender
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 8, 2008
                        James and Michael,

                        Amit is a member of the Theosophical Society and one month ago delivered some lectures at its National Center in America, in Wheaton, Illinois. I went to the lectures, but I'm don't thinks he knows about pythagorean philosophy.
                        Pablo

                        Visit my theosophical website at http://pasender.tripod.com/
                        En español: http://pasender.tripod.com/id12.html

                        I'm sure that everyone here has come across the website,
                        www.fourfoldpath. org I was wondering if that is a good resource.

                        Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.

                        Yahoo! Cocina
                        Recetas prácticas y comida saludable
                        Visitá http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/
                      • michael michael
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 9, 2008
                          Thankyou James; as always, openly generous. I'll see what transpires!

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 9, 2008
                            Thankyou, Pablo. We have an historical connection here with the foundation of the theosophical movement in Australia. Indeed, it is from that historical connection that my interest in the subject of ancient measures originated; so your reference is as interesting as it is unexpected.